• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination question

Orenoko

Mama Doe
So I took my bunnies for their MIXO-RHD jabs last week. I know you should get the RHD2 jab a couple of weeks later, but I looked at their vaccination cards and their previous owners had never vaccinated them against RHD2, so the first time they had that vaccine was when they were in the rescue centre in October last year.

My vet said it's up to me whether I do it now or in October, and I forgot to ask about the benefits of each one. I suppose they're covered until October either way but I just wanted to find out the rationale behind the gap.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

It's standard practice not to overstress rabbits and their immune systems, so to give one vaccination then the next 2 weeks later is normal. Similarly, neutering should be carried out separately from vaccinations. They don't cope as well as eg dogs and cats which are often eg neutered and vaccinated at the same time.

Not quite sure what your query is - there are 2 vaccines that cover 3 different deadly rabbit diseases. Both are normally given once a year, with at least a 2 week gap to allow for the immunity to the first to become effective, then give the second, which again will need a couple of weeks to develop the immunity. One covers Myxomatosis and RHD1 ((Viral) Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease strain 1), the other covers RHD1 & RHD2. There isn't one in the UK that just does RHD2. It doesn't matter which way round they are done - the main thing is that they are vaccinated.

The advice to leave a 2 week gap between vaccinations is because neither vaccine has been tested for safety if given simultaneously with any other medicinal product.

From the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Data Sheet :

''No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after any other veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be made on a case by case basis.'
'

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

From the Filavac Data Sheet

''No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any
other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after any other
veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be made on a case by case basis.''

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Some Vets are using Eravac instead of Filavac. Eravac only gives protection against RHD2 (Filavac gives protection against RHD 1 + 2 )and Eravac has a 9 months duration of immunity, whereas Filavac has a 12 month duration of immunity

Even if Eravac is given it is still recommended that there is at least 2 weeks between administering it after any other vaccination

Eravac data sheet

https://www.hipra.com/wcm/connect/h...-c99a8b7f-4a17-429f-9da0-6789d74520b8-mh-qXaY

If your Rabbits were given Filavac last October then they should still be covered and unless your Vet considers that there is a very high risk of RHD2 in your specific area or if your Rabbits are going into boarding before October then they should not require their boosters til October. 6 monthly boosters only being recommended in exceptionally high risk situations. But always discuss this with a qualified Vet.

If they were given Eravac last October then the are already due for their Booster.

Hope all that makes sense !!

Last edited:
Similar thing has happened here. My buck has his Nobivak in April and his Filavac in December. I now have Tui who received both vaccines at the rescue centre in January.

I don't think that there is any benefit in having a vaccine broght forward and having it earlier than the recommended time. The onloy (slight) benefit it to the owner who can cut down on separate vet appointments.

In my case, I will probably try to align the two rabbits, so Filavac both in early December and Nobivac both in late anuary. In your case you already have both rabbits due at the same time for each vaccination and personally I would leave things as they are. I quite like the situation where they have more than the recommended 2 weeks in between so that their immune system is not hit with too much in a short space of time.

Thanks, I think I'll leave it as it is then, they had Filavac last year so they'll be covered until October, I just wasn't sure if it was better in any way for them to be brought closer together but this all makes sense

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Regards giving vaccinations, I find it a good thing now that we have cause to visit the vet twice yearly for vaccinations. In the old days, there was myxi and VHD and we used to go twice yearly with those, often spacing them with a six month gap. This meant the buns got two enforced health checks a year.

When the myxi became a combined vaccine it meant that we only got one health check a year.

I'm trying to space the two vaccinations out so that they have two again, which is great for spotting things :)

Back