• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccination amnesty

Boo, Oscar and Henry have had myxi and VHD but Humphrey has had neither...

I do mean to get him done just I didn't actually intend on getting another bunny (i rescued him) and he is a darn sight better off now than he was 3 months ago!!

Also what with losing leonard like that and the babies I have seen enough of the vets... i mean they know me now i don't need to say a word and they ask me to take a seat!!! :shock: :roll:

xx

Myxo vaccine

I can only add that anybody who lives in Norfolk who does not keep their myxo vaccinations up to date on the dot with a healthy rabbit(s)is seriously asking to loose their rabbit(s).

This year has been horrendous for myxo here and I can only add the following info in the hope it helps.

Of all the rabbits we have re-homed we have not had reported to us yet a single case of full blown myxo in any of our vaccinated rabbit(s) whose vaccinations were up to date (ie every 6months). We have had loads of cases of secondary or skin myxo reported to us and to date all but one has survived.

In addition to this I can tell you we know of no cases of skin or secondary myxo in un-vaccinated rabbits. Those unvaccinated rabbits we know of all contracted full blown , and died/pts. My partner works at a vets and we have close contact with a number of other vets in our area and these observations have held true to date.

I think we are all well aware the myxo vaccine is far from perfect however on our obsevations and enquiries alone we have no doubt as to its effectiveness.

There is one point in addition we wish to make . A vaccinated rabbit (for the first time ) should not come into contact with the virus for 14 days and if it does on the 13th or 14th day it can contract full blown myxamatosis which in turn can take 14days to come out. It therefore follows that a newly vaccinated rabbit can come out in full blown myxamatosis nearly a month after the vaccine was administered. As the vaccine apparently is only effective for about 6 months fully which then tapers off it clearly is important that rabbits are vaccinated on the dot to ensure complete cover.This info we always give to new owners/keepers and it appears to have had a very positive result.

All I can say is I'll do anything to prolong and preserve the life of my buns.

Like I said before, only Smudge and Dudley need their VHD, and they'll be done next week after I finish my nights.

If any of my buns contracted nodular myxo, I'd fight like hell for them. Whatever the cost! I am responsible for them and I love them soooooo much!

I do believe vaccination is the best way to protect your buns. It's rubbish about indoor buns being at less risk. Just read up about how VHD is transmitted and you'll discover it's irrelevant whether they are in or out. All mine are indoors.

Thanks for that info rspcarabbits. That is really useful information :D

It's something that we've often speculated about on here, but getting the info from somebody who sees lots of rabbits from 2 different sources is really valuable.

Amy

Mine are vaccinated against myxi and vhd. Scarletts myxi was about a month late this year though because my reminder card from the vet never arrived :oops: I think I woke up in the middle of the night and suddenly thought I think she has missed a vaccination :lol: Kelvin was like go back to sleep :roll: I learnt my lesson though and have reminders on my outlook at work and its written on the calander at home so they will all be on time in future

It's something that we've often speculated about on here, but getting the info from somebody who sees lots of rabbits from 2 different sources is really valuable.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make - if the experts suggest vaccination - in spite of its risks - then there is a good reason for that, and what rspcarabbits has posted simply verifies for me that the experts are correct and that vaccination is a sensible thing to do. Sure vaccinated animals can die but there's a substantially higher risk of an unvaccinated one dying - and horribly at that.

I saw a different vet at my practice last week and we was talking about Santa and vaccinations as she is a chronic snuffler due to teeth. I made the point that when she last had her myxi jab during a 'lull' period, the lull lasted a lot longer than I would normally expect. He said that they now put immune boosters into the vaccines so it can kick start the immune system of a bun that is 'coasting' with a bit of a problem. I'm not advocating vaccinating sick buns as it probably won't work and may make them even more sick, but I thought it was an interesting piece of info.

Skin or secondary myxo

There is another point I should also have perhaps mentioned.

When assessing whether a myxo vaccination has been effective it is necessary to know and identify when a rabbit has got it.

Let me explain, With full blown myxo there is generally no mis- diagnosis the symptoms are obvious. With skin or secondary myxo it is far less clear and in a couple of cases we have only identified it because we have seen it before.

To give you a few examples one of our own bunnies presented initially with what appeared to be only a slight scratch half circular around her nose. We at the time thought it was just that and she had somehow caught it on the wire mesh of her run(although we could not see how). It gradually formed a scab around the nose which under veterinary advice we sluffed off and kept it open. I should add there were no lumps or bumps swellings or anything else on the bunny and she did not appear at all unwell. The scab eventually came off and that was the end of the matter.

It was only this year when a rabbit presented identically but with swollen genitals that we twigged what it was. This time we left it, it eventually came off of its own accord and the bunny recovered.Agian in all other respects the bunny appeared in good health.

A second bunny (again one of our own) only presented with a small swelling and scab on the ear and had we not of seen it recently before ,certainly would not have recognised it.

Other bunnies have been covered in lumps ,bumps, swelling , scabs and are more easily diagnosed.One in particular had a 2inch scab right across the bridge of her nose amongst others which again is in the process of gradually reducing in size and coming off.

My point is this, we are lucky and see and deal predominently with vaccinated bunnies .Apparently only 1 in 10 bunnies are vaccinated nationwide and so the average vet does not see a great number of skin or secondary myxo cases, mainly just full blown myxo when the owner cannot get away with not going to the vets. We are absolutely certain skin myxo is going un or mis- diagnosed because it can appear in such a mild form and the credit for the vaccine is therefore understated and not appreciated.

I hasten to add we are not vets and do not pretend to be, however when vets ask us what it looks like because we have seen a fair bit of it, it is fair to say its going un-diagnosed even when the bunny is taken to the vet, let alone all those cases where the owner does not want the bill and just lets it go as a minor injury.

As you can immagine our advice is where you can vaccinate and take the advice of a vet with good working rabbit knowledge when unsure through ill health.

Re age, we vaccinate healthy rabbits regardless of age.

All I can say is I'll do anything to prolong and preserve the life of my buns.

Like I said before, only Smudge and Dudley need their VHD, and they'll be done next week after I finish my nights.

If any of my buns contracted nodular myxo, I'd fight like hell for them. Whatever the cost! I am responsible for them and I love them soooooo much!

I do believe vaccination is the best way to protect your buns. It's rubbish about indoor buns being at less risk. Just read up about how VHD is transmitted and you'll discover it's irrelevant whether they are in or out. All mine are indoors.

i totally agree..... all my pets are covered by an excellent vets practice and whatever recommendations they offer i follow to the dot.. also with the internet for researching an animals needs i struggle to understand how people can still claim ignorance..... myxo and VHD were the first thing i learned about when i was looking at getting Alvin... plus insurance companies wont cover unvaccinated animals.... so far ive not come across any vaccinations required by chipmunks but if they was there id get them.. i also like the piece of mind given when they get checked over each year by a professional

I would say there isn't a large probability, since they're all about 4yrs old now and seem to be alive and well. The rescues I got them from didn't think vaccinating was important, although they've changed policy now due to demand from adopters I believe.

They changed their policy because someone who helped at the rescue had a bunn with myxi, and myxi is rife in the area, according to local vets.

Back