• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VACCINATE- Myxo, RHD1 & RHD2 -Updated 1st October 2018

Hi Jane, I've read a couple of times that affected rabbits were vaccinated, but had gone over due their booster. I always thought that the vaccines wain over time, so in theory they would still have some protection, or do you think they were significantly overdue or it should have been 6 months rather than 12?

Obviously speculating, but interesting to know your thoughts, thanks x

Hi Jane, I've read a couple of times that affected rabbits were vaccinated, but had gone over due their booster. I always thought that the vaccines wain over time, so in theory they would still have some protection, or do you think they were significantly overdue or it should have been 6 months rather than 12?

This is a very difficult one ThreeB's and one I've come across a lot over on my RHD2 thread, where I've kept it updated with info as and when I get it.

The info regarding RHD2 vaccine, from Filavie themselves, is that the duration of immunity is 12 months.

However, some rabbits may well have issues (health) going on that prevent a full immune response and therefore the vaccine hasn't 'taken' as well as you might think it should have.

The other factor influencing this is the storage of the vaccines. They need to be kept at a certain temperature in order to maintain their effectiveness. I know a lot of vet surgeries are providing special 'cases' which are wall mounted and refrigerated, specifically for vaccines. I think this will help tremendously as a 'normal' fridge would be opened many times daily and if the vials were kept in there, there would be a risk of the temperature rising.

All that said, it is worrying that rabbits are getting poorly shortly after the booster is due, and I would consider vaccinating every six months in that case.

I hope you didn't mind me replying :wave:

I am not in any way Veterinary qualified, but my feeling is that as you say, the protection a vaccine gives will not just stop exactly on the date the Booster is due. My unqualified understanding is that there are so many variants to take into account in each individual Rabbit eg:

1- Did they mount a good immune response to the vaccine initially given
2- Is the Rabbit living in a setting/area considered to be 'high risk' -such as in a multi Rabbit home, a Rescue, a Show Rabbit (who would come into contact with numerous Rabbits at shows), living near a wild Rabbit colony, living near a known disease outbreak.
3- Is the Rabbit currently fighting any other infection

I dont think that going over-due re Booster vaccines by a week or two would be likely to be the only reason that caused the deaths Ros reported. That said I do think it to be very important to follow the advice of a Rabbit savvy Vet re the frequency of Boosters, especially regarding RHD2.

Once again, I do emphasise that my opinion is just from a lay person's perspective.

I am not in any way Veterinary qualified, but my feeling is that as you say, the protection a vaccine gives will not just stop exactly on the date the Booster is due. My unqualified understanding is that there are so many variants to take into account in each individual Rabbit eg:

1- Did they mount a good immune response to the vaccine initially given
2- Is the Rabbit living in a setting/area considered to be 'high risk' -such as in a multi Rabbit home, a Rescue, a Show Rabbit (who would come into contact with numerous Rabbits at shows), living near a wild Rabbit colony, living near a known disease outbreak.
3- Is the Rabbit currently fighting any other infection

I dont think that going over-due re Booster vaccines by a week or two would be likely to be the only reason that caused the deaths Ros reported. That said I do think it to be very important to follow the advice of a Rabbit savvy Vet re the frequency of Boosters, especially regarding RHD2.

Once again, I do emphasise that my opinion is just from a lay person's perspective.

When you say multi rabbit home... How many buns we roughly talking? [emoji38] I'm doing RHD2 every year now... Having 4 buns... Should I go back to every 6 months? :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

When you say multi rabbit home... How many buns we roughly talking? [emoji38] I'm doing RHD2 every year now... Having 4 buns... Should I go back to every 6 months? :)

I asked my vet and he said 12 monthly for both vaccinations, however I always vaccinate mine early. For example Toby was due this month but he had both his vaccinations done a month early. The vets have never said it's too early to do that.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I think William might be the best person to advise on this Grace.

I know some boarders - but not all - are asking for 6 monthly vaccination.

There's also breeders and rescue centres which might be more at risk as they take in rabbits and rehome.

Personally I don't view 4 buns as 'multi-rabbit' definitely needing extra protection.

Again it depends on the specific situation. 4 Show Rabbits- I'd vaccinate for RHD2 every 6 months. 4 Rabbits living near a wild Rabbit colony- I'd vaccinate for RHD2 every 6 months. 4 Pet Rabbits in an area known to have had a confirmed RHD2 outbreak I'd vaccinate every 6 months. I did this with my own 4 when my local Rescue had a confirmed RHD2 death last year.

I am sure William will give you good advice re what is the most appropriate vaccination protocol for your 4 :)

Thanks for the replies (and no, of course I don't mind MM).

I should add, none here are overdue or anything, but I did have a situation a few weeks back when some were because I'd forgotten to check :oops:. You would just hope that a short period of being overdue would be ok (of course it's better to not be at all), but there are obviously others factors that can be at play x

I should add, none here are overdue or anything, but I did have a situation a few weeks back when some were because I'd forgotten to check :oops:. You would just hope that a short period of being overdue would be ok (of course it's better to not be at all), but there are obviously others factors that can be at play x

I reported one case on the RHD2 thread that the rabbits were simply a week or so overdue.

I think there must have been, as you say, other reasons for this other than vaccination fail.
Which of course, can also happen, sadly.

Immunity with the Novibac is tested to 13 months immunity.
The Filvac has also been stringently tested.

And thank you ;)

Again it depends on the specific situation. 4 Show Rabbits- I'd vaccinate for RHD2 every 6 months. 4 Rabbits living near a wild Rabbit colony- I'd vaccinate for RHD2 every 6 months. 4 Pet Rabbits in an area known to have had a confirmed RHD2 outbreak I'd vaccinate every 6 months. I did this with my own 4 when my local Rescue had a confirmed RHD2 death last year.

I am sure William will give you good advice re what is the most appropriate vaccination protocol for your 4 :)
Yea I think there have been some cases nearby MM has posted a few RHD2 cases which aren't that far away tbh... Which is worrying :(

I'll ask William although where he is, may not have been affected, I was doing every 6 months but he said not to, but then I only had two of them at the time - tricky one I'll ask William :) thanks x

Indeed, that's why there's never a black and white answer. The most important thing is to do all within our powers to make sure our Rabbits are vaccinated and that we follow the advice of a Rabbit Savvy Vet re the frequency of boosters etc.

AFAIK no-one who actually posts on RU is a qualified Vet, so any advice given by me or anyone else can never be a substitute to that given by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. I think RU provides a good platform to discuss things though.

Also, whilst I am here if anyone has a spare hour or so then printing off some copies of this poster

Ggsj19j.jpg

and obtaining permission to display them in local Pet Stores, Garden Centres etc is an on-going project for the RWAF. The organisation really appreciates help with spreading the word. You'd be amazed by how many Pet Shop owners/staff dont know that Rabbits need vaccinating :shock:

Indeed, that's why there's never a black and white answer. The most important thing is to do all within our powers to make sure our Rabbits are vaccinated and that we follow the advice of a Rabbit Savvy Vet re the frequency of boosters etc.

AFAIK no-one who actually posts on RU is a qualified Vet, so any advice given by me or anyone else can never be a substitute to that given by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. I think RU provides a good platform to discuss things though.

Also, whilst I am here if anyone has a spare hour or so then printing off some copies of this poster

Ggsj19j.jpg

and obtaining permission to display them in local Pet Stores, Garden Centres etc is an on-going project for the RWAF. The organisation really appreciates help with spreading the word. You'd be amazed by how many Pet Shop owners/staff dont know that Rabbits need vaccinating :shock:
Yea :D I'm doing this.!

I'm hoping my local pets at home will take a few copies off me... I know some of the staff fairly well so hopefully they will :)

Yea I think there have been some cases nearby MM has posted a few RHD2 cases which aren't that far away tbh... Which is worrying :(

I'll ask William although where he is, may not have been affected, I was doing every 6 months but he said not to, but then I only had two of them at the time - tricky one I'll ask William :) thanks x

It is scary, I know. When I took mine for their RHD2 jabs the vet told me of a house rabbit that had just died within a mile of the surgery. It had been confirmed as RHD2.

It's so difficult to know what to do.

Suspected RHD2 just reported

''it's with great sadness that I post this, 2 kits I bred last summer both passed away within 30 hours of each other they took the 2nd bunny vets the morning after the first one died, he had a temperature and was a bit lethargic, went very lethargic and fitted before passing away. no blood was seen so most likely RVHD strain 2 area is
Countesthorpe, Leicester; unconfirmed but both rabbits have been taken to the vets to be cremated''

Source of information:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=myxomatosis & vhd map

Posted by a member of the public on the RHD2 FB page within the last hour

''Sudden death overnight in Potton, Beds. Bunny had been fine yesterday. Picked up from RSPCA last Monday, vaccinated with Filovac for the 1st time on Tuesday. She had a mild eye infection in 1 eye which was being treated and could have potentially affected her immune system. Novibac given at RSPCA on 20th July. This RSPCA centre does not vaccinate for RHD2. No obvious signs on her body but have just found some blood in her cage where her head and mouth was which makes me suspicious. I have taken a swab of blood in universal transport medium from the cage. Will send her for PM tomorrow (Monday) along with swab and report back. Currently terminally disinfecting on the assumption it is RHD2. Have 7 other buns who have 6 monthly Filovac routinely as we are considered high risk. They appear well, I feel sick.''

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

I have posted to advice the owner to let the RSPCA centre know

''I am so sorry I would let the RSPCA Centre know too as the deceased Rabbit could have been incubating the virus when you collected her. If so then the Centre would need to go into Lock Down, IMO''

Back