• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update - Sad :( -Forcefeeding Bunny Question

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
My rabbit, Henri, has a bad upper respiratory infection and is on her second round of antibiotics, different one, and she has lost quite a bit of weight. It is harder for her to eat because her nose is stuffed up quite a bit. I’ve been cleaning it with saline and encouraging her to eat with dandelions, clover, cilantro and other greens. My Vet said to force feed her Critical Care and I have done but she was really upset after and breathing really hard. She is still producing stool and drinking water. She also has been consistent with eating hay.

I’m concerned this force feeding is stressing her out even more. Is this necessary? Even though she is eating on her own and still pooping?

Last edited:
If syringe feeding a Rabbit with respiratory problems there is a higher risk of the Rabbit aspirating the feed, especially if the process stresses the Rabbit out. Personally I would not do it unless the Rabbit was not eating at all and/ or had minimal fecal output. As you say her hay eating remains good try adding some Alfalfa hay and Readigrass. These both have a higher protein value and can aid weight gain. Also, try feeding pellets from a raised feeder so Bunny does not have to put her head right down to eat. Or hand feed her the pellets.

Also, try offering her the product you are using to syringe feed her from a plate, she might lap it up. I use these

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore/

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore-sustain/

She lost a lot of weight, so she is not eating enough on her own. Syringe feeding is an art and it takes practice to build trust and get amount and consistency right. I encourage eating, yet do not force it.
Will she eat critical care from a bowl? Some will, mine never did though. Does she get any pellets ?
Did vet verify infection ? Tooth roots can cause respiratory issues and less eating too.
I wish I was a member here when I had a bunny with cronic uri because some members have great advice to share that may help you manage her care.
Sending vibes.

edit-im posted as I was typing. She gave you great advice.

Last edited:
Back when I had bunnies, one of mine would eat critical care from a dish if it was mixed with mashed banana or fruit or veg purée, I used to use baby food. Are you using a nebuliser ?

Have you tried her with a nebuliser and saline? 10 mins twice a day can make a huge difference in her breathing and clearing the gunge. I use a cat carrier covered in a towel, and an Omron desk top nebuliser (rather than the handheld ones). Amazon usually have a good range.

Hi everyone, just wanted to update and also thank everyone for their advice which I heeded. Despite all this Henri’s infection went into her lungs and I had to have her put to sleep Aug 31st(Sept 1st in UK). I started her on a different antibiotic and it seemed she couldn’t fight the infection. I noticed her breathing was extremely laboured and then it progressed to chest breathing. I could hear the clicking and it sounded so wet.

I got an appointment to the Vets thankfully that day and rushed her out but the Vet advised to have her put to sleep as she was struggling so much. I honestly was in shock as I thought that more treatment could be available. I guess I didnt’ want to admit how bad it was.

So I said goodbye to my little girl and I feel really sad and the house feels so empty and strange without her. I’m having her ashes back and they are making me a pawprint. It seems this all went too fast. I’m still trying to come to terms with it. I also forgot to mention just remembered now, that her eye on the left side was sticking out and even her forehead on that side was more pronounced than the other side. I thoguth I was imagingi things but the Vet saw it too. So I think she must have had an abscess? sorry Im’ all over the place with this post.

I'm so sorry it was time to say goodbye, she was obviously a much loved bunny. Thinking of you at such a heartbreaking time.

Sleep tight, sweet dreams Henri xx

I'm so very sorry you lost your dear Henri, and so suddenly and unexpectedly, too. It sounds like you did everything you could possibly do for her, and I'm so sorry she couldn't be saved...

I'm so very sorry to hear that you have lost Henri. Sweet dreams little one, and sending you a big hug xxx

I am so sorry you lost Henri. It is such a shock when our beloved bunnies suddenly take a turn for the worst. You loved her so much to let her go peacefully in spite of the pain it caused you. Sending you gentle hugs.

Back