• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Leo page4 PTS or keep going? UD he's gone

How did you find out it was a tumour?

He has gotten worse

I am sorry he has deteriorated.

We tried every diagnostic and med but nothing helped. We tried to keep her as comfortable as possible then she suddenly had some sort of neurological event, possibly a stroke so we had to say good bye :cry: The PM confirmed a brain tumour, lungs and heart were completely healthy

Just to update you all that he is very up and down. One minute we think he is getting better, then he spends time with his head back looking at the ceiling and having some kind of turn (not as bad as he did the 1st night back from the vet).

Pros:
Larger poos (still small, but not tiny or not at all like they were)
Eating (even if it is only a pellet here and there or 3 blades of grass etc)
Drinking when egg cup of water put under his nose
Moving around (only a hop or to get away if he knows it is medicine time)

Are these pros enough for me to keep going with him? It is small improvements on day 3 of medicine. Vet said to call it a day if no improvements by the end of the week - would you class this as improvement?

He still spends his days sitting in one place with his head in the air (like in the video) but is starting to have small breaks where he is eating, pooping, drinking and sitting nicely and contented even if this only lasts a few minutes at a time.

Other rabbit has been separated due to her humping him and stealing his food. She has an inner ear infection (strange coincidence?) so it is ear drops for her twice a day. She also had a cancer scare but it turns out to be a benign cyst (phew) on her skin. Now her back leg occasionally bleeds there is a big scab there (sore hock?)

Everything is happening all at once argh.

I would definitely keep going with him. People say EC head tilt bunnies recover very slowly, so I think whatever damage he has it will heal slowly. I also think be careful about dehydration, make sure there is a bowl of water he can get to all the time. And if you have to, syringe some extra water into him.

Also, what medicine did your vet give him for he EC was it Panacur fenbendazole?

Last edited:
How is Leo today?

It's good that there has been a little improvement. I hope that it continues, even if it does seem painstakingly slow.

I hope your other bunny is feeling better soon.

Thank you!

He has access to litter trays, hay, water, pellets and grass (hand picked from the lawn). You can only see him in his carrier in the video it has soft vet bed and he can lean against the sides.

Big surprise this morning. Went in to find him sitting next to his water bowl. ALL pellets gone (I put a pile down so I could tell how many he was eating - he ate the lot!) Lots of hay has been eaten, lots of poos everywhere (Dont care about litter training right now), all grass gone and sprigs of lavender, and he hopped towards me!

After a few minutes he went back to his head up and panting

He is on Lapazol to treat EC and Marbocyl (anti biotics) to treat possible inner ear infection.

I have made the decision NOT to put him to sleep this weekend, we are going to continue treatment and see if he can improve

We will re evaluate next week - I am worried I will "get used" to him being like this and not see that it is not a good life for him, if that makes sense, because it has been so very long since he was well, like a normal rabbit, so I am forgetting what he used to be like before he became ill. For example, he hasn't binkied in over a year, or done a bunny flop, or lie down even, simply because he cannot balance and looks like he cant breathe.

What wonderful news :love:

Finding all his food gone, and poops must have made your day! What a change!

Is he on Metacam as well? I'm sure I've read that it is good for EC as an anti-inflammatory, and I would think an ear infection would be painful.

Sending loads of vibes x

He has taken a turn for the worse the past 2 days... Is this normal when treating for EC or inner ear infection?

He has had his head up pretty much the whole day, nothing I do can relax him to put his head down.

Do I persevere or call it a day?

It is very distressing seeing him like this

Also his weight has dropped to 1.14kg

Last edited:
He has taken a turn for the worse the past 2 days... Is this normal when treating for EC or inner ear infection?

He has had his head up pretty much the whole day, nothing I do can relax him to put his head down.

Do I persevere or call it a day?

It is very distressing seeing him like this

Also his weight has dropped to 1.14kg

I am sorry :cry:

Personally I know what my decision would be but I am not able to tell you what I think you should do. Recent past experience has taught me that. Only you and your Vet can make a fully informed decision with regards to when enough is enough.

It must be a very distressing time for both Leo and for you :cry:

I have done a search on this forum for "star gazing" and each of the other people who experience this- though no where near as servere as Leo - all comes down to E cuniculi - Jane I see you posted in a few of them and know about this star gazing due to neurological problem?

I can think it can be 1 of 3 things

1. E cuniculi
2. Inner ear infection
3. Brain tumor

I am not convinced it is no.2.

Surely if it is number 1 he can get better? He is only on day 7 of treatment for EC (Lapizole) if this is EC should he be taking other medication along side Lapizole?

My OH wants to give the treatment chance before we give up on him - maybe it hasn't had chance to take effect yet?

I'm sorry to hear Leo has become worse :(.

I have no experience with EC, but wanted to send more vibes x

Lapizole (for EC) and Marbocyl (for possible inner ear infection)

I am feeling more and more like I need to make that final decision, especially after reading up on other peoples similar experiences, and because he is how he is - he had about 10 minutes this morning and that is it, he is back to star gazing and panting.

I am calling the vet..

Lapizole (for EC) and Marbocyl (for possible inner ear infection)

I am feeling more and more like I need to make that final decision, especially after reading up on other peoples similar experiences, and because he is how he is - he had about 10 minutes this morning and that is it, he is back to star gazing and panting.

I am calling the vet..

(((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xx

Back