• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

underweight nethie. U/D post 21: worked out total weightloss. how much is too much?

u/d amount of weight lost

Just got back from London and immediately got the bunnys out.

I last weighed them both in August :oops:

Marley is still 3lbs/1.3kg
Dolly was 3lbs in August and is now 2.5lbs/1.1kg

Like ive already said, her diet hasnt changed and neither has her appetite. :? although its possible shes drinking a little more water than usual.

I know a "healthy" rabbit thats loosing weight isnt good, especially in winter, but how bad do you guys think this weightloss is? Shes a small bunny anyway, so cant really afford to be loosing any more.

Im going to call the vet in the morning and find out what she was when we were last there and also invest in a more accurate set of scales. Im worried its her teeth. :(

Mae lost hers on burgess after swapping from P@H :roll:

She shouldn't have done, it's exactly the same! Have a look at the ingredients and nutrition information list on the two...

A drop from 3lb to 2.5lb is quite significant in a rabbit of that size, it's about a 17% weight loss. It's equivalent to a 10st human dropping to 8.3 stone, so you can see that's really rather a lot. Definitely cause for concern and time for a vet visit pronto before it gets more serious. Good luck x

She shouldn't have done, it's exactly the same! Have a look at the ingredients and nutrition information list on the two...

A drop from 3lb to 2.5lb is quite significant in a rabbit of that size, it's about a 17% weight loss. It's equivalent to a 10st human dropping to 8.3 stone, so you can see that's really rather a lot. Definitely cause for concern and time for a vet visit pronto before it gets more serious. Good luck x

Thats what i thought.
I cant take my mind off it. I know there are bunnys on here in a far worse situation and owners with a number of sick bunnys and i dont know how they manage. Ive sent a txt message to a vet nurse who works at the clinic i go to, i know her well but she doesnt see many bunnys as shes allergic. But i just want some piece of mind untill the morning. :(

Hopefully her teeth just need de-burring and she'll right as rain and nomming on hay again.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

If thats the cause. Shes not a dental bun as far as i know, but shes only 9 months old so it could just be starting to raise its nasty little head. Im thinking its this as nethies are prone to it aparently, shes been wormed and nothing in her diet/routine has changed.

Back