• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two bunnies....Just good friends??

Floppylop

Young Bun
I have collected a pair of rabbits today, I was told they were brother and sister and that they live together and are 11 mnths old, I assumed (foolishly) that these bunnies (or one) would be spayed, but apparently not, they are Netherland Dwarfs, just wondering how its possible to be together from birth and no babies??

I'd think it's very unlikely! Are you sure on the genders? However my sister had a male and female mini lop pair and they never bred, boy was neutered around 6 months old but I as very surprised they'd had no babies!!

Get their genders confirmed. Don’t assume that if they are Buck/ Doe that the Doe has never had a litter. The seller might not tell you the truth. If you have a Buck and a Doe, both unneutered you are likely to end up with babies eventually, the Doe might already be pregnant.

If they are 2 does, they may both be pregnant...I wouldn't trust what you were told. At best, they may not actually know the details. People usually tell you what you want to hear when rehoming pets. It happens all the time.

You need their genders confirming and booking in for neutering at your vet. They are both old enough. Un-neutered rabbits are very likely to have nasty fights. If neutered, they should continue to live happily together. They will also need vaccinating (single jab every year for RHD1, RHD2 and Myxomatosis). You should leave a gap of a couple of weeks between jabs and neutering - rabbits are fragile and need to recover from each procedure separately. As the weather is getting warmer, there will be more biting insects around and a greater risk of the deadly rabbit viruses spreading quickly.

Good luck. And we like pics...:D

It’s possible they are between litters right now, or perhaps they don’t usually live together and the seller just wanted rid of both. Take them to the vet asap to confirm the sex and to discuss neutering them. Bear in mind males are fertile for 8 weeks after neutering so this needs doing asap. The vet can also spay your girl to remove the risk of pregnancy straight away, that way they can stay together. Or you may wish to separate them, wait to see if she is pregnant, spay her and then bond them back together.

The owner says she got them from another lady, and they havent bred, I have sexed them myself (yes I know how) and they are definately male and female, with adult rabbits its not difficult ...did wonder if the doe was done, but if they have always been together, I would have expected the buck to be done rather than the doe if either?

Yeah I'd also expect if one was done it to be the male, since it's cheaper/easier. That's what my sister did but then before she could get the female spayed (she did leave it too late) she died of uterine cancer, so young too :(

Back