• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to get their diet healthier.

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
So, I give N&T:

*an eggcupfull of pellets most days, sometimes I skip a day or two here and there.
*max 2 treats each a day (handmade or fenugreeks)
*unlimited fresh hay which is green and lushious usually. They have 2 indoor litter trays like this:

f0718634.jpg

and a clear outdoors box which I fill with hay and they love to sit and munch in it. They only can access this in the day between 9am and about 12 at night.

I also give them about this, twice a day:

f5374b1b.jpg

So that's 3 small cabbage leaves (usually savoy but I often have another type to mix in), a spring green leaf, a cauliflower leaf, a few sprouts and a handful of parsley and coriander. They often get small bits of parsnip or carrot, about once every 3 days. Celery leaves and small cuttings about twice a week, broccoli stalks about twice a week too.

I'm worried about the amount and the type of veg I give. I'm slowly cutting it down but they are very active rabbits, with a 6 x 5 shed and two runs (6x4 and 8x3).

I'm worried predominantly about the amount of gas-causing foods there. Nena has a grumbly tummy about once a week, although it doesnt seem to affect her. She had gut stasis once, about 6 weeks ago.

Not sure really what I can feed to help replace the cabbage, spring greens and cauliflower leaf with non-gas causing ones, as I don't want to risk them getting a gassy tummy leading to stasis. They love their herbs (only those two), but I don't want to give any more of those as I believe it has a lot of calcium in it?

There isn't really anywhere to forage around here, everywhere has dogs walking over it and cars near it. I'm not confident and I'd rather buy stuff than risk it tbh. Growing stuff is not really an option as my mom doesn't like stuff around. Any suggestions?

This doesn't answer you questions..
but where did you get that 'hay rack'? it looks good.
I'm using a wall flower basket at the moment, and my two buns are starting to get lazy and won't pull the hay out :evil: :lol:

This doesn't answer you questions..
but where did you get that 'hay rack'? it looks good.
I'm using a wall flower basket at the moment, and my two buns are starting to get lazy and won't pull the hay out :evil: :lol:

It's this from ikea http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60128661/! I got mine off ebay though, as the trip is about 40 mins for me http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180835409725#ht_500wt_1158. It's definitely worth a try :mrgreen:!

what about collecting natural 'weeds' i often go up to our nearest meadow and collect nettles, dandelions etc, have you got the 'hay and greens' book as there's loads of ideas in that for food stuffs

I've recently slowly changed Frankie and Estelle from various vegetables to mainly herbs. This seems to have helped any gassy tums.

IMO, that's alot of veg, twice a day.

E and F have an eggcup of SS each per day, unlimited hay and then for tea a few herbs and a very fine slither of apple each.

Whatever you decide to try, change slow and steady.

Best of luck.:thumb:

If you can't forage could you grow things? April is a good time to start sowing.

Mine don't actually get any greens if they aren't available in nature. We're starting to get goose grass and deadnettle round here and the occasional dandelion but they are only getting that once or twice a week at the moment. Along with one or two apple sticks a day. It's the first winter that I've done this and the first winter I haven't heard gurgling tummies or had stasis from Smudge.

Back