• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Traveling to UK with a rabbit

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
While researching the rules of traveling to Europe with a rabbit, the rules of the UK caught my attention. Do pet rabbits from outside the European Union need to be quarantined for 6 months? I'm confused about this, there is a lot of information pollution and I couldn't get a healthy information.

Now I am giving an example for myself. I live in Turkey, I have a pet rabbit, name is Cookie. Cookie has a pet passport, microchip inserted into. He was vaccinated against rabies and had a rabies blood test, the results are healthy.

If I want to come to England from Turkey, will the Cookie be quarantined for 6 months?

That is, if I come from a third country with rabbits and rodents, there is a quarantine condition, but there is no quarantine condition for animals other than rodents and rabbits.

This is ridiculous! As a result, rabies vaccine is available for rodents and rabbits in Turkey. Have all rights in Cookie, such as cat/dog or other animals; microchip, EU approved pet passport, rabies vaccine, EU approved ministry of health approved rabies blood test, health certificate..
Even though Cookie has all these, will quarantine still be applied, how is it different from other animals?

Last edited:
Frankly I find it unreasonable that they wouldn't accept a rabbit with all the conditions normally allowed. After all, Cookie has it all with an EU-approved passport and lab rabies blood test results. Even though Cookie has all the facilities I have mentioned, I would never consider moving to UK if it will still be subject to quarantine. I would never quarantine Cookie for 6 months, instead of giving up Cookie I would give up on England.

Frankly I find it unreasonable that they wouldn't accept a rabbit with all the conditions normally allowed. After all, Cookie has it all with an EU-approved passport and lab rabies blood test results. Even though Cookie has all the facilities I have mentioned, I would never consider moving to UK if it will still be subject to quarantine. I would never quarantine Cookie for 6 months, instead of giving up Cookie I would give up on England.
That is such a shame. But I would not quarantine my buns either! That is such a long time [emoji22] xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

That is such a shame. But I would not quarantine my buns either! That is such a long time [emoji22] xx

Obviously this rule is only available in the UK. There is nothing like this in any other country. Also cat, dog etc. quarantine is not required if all animals have passports, rabies vaccine, blood test and health report. But although rabbits and rodents have all the facilities, there is a quarantine requirement. Total bullsh.t, Cookie is currently a cat, dog, etc. It has all the facilities of animals such as. 6 months quarantine for me means leaving Cookie to die.

Obviously this rule is only available in the UK. There is nothing like this in any other country. Also cat, dog etc. quarantine is not required if all animals have passports, rabies vaccine, blood test and health report. But although rabbits and rodents have all the facilities, there is a quarantine requirement. Total bullsh.t, Cookie is currently a cat, dog, etc. It has all the facilities of animals such as. 6 months quarantine for me means leaving Cookie to die.
Yes it does seem harsh. There must be a reason? Perhaps they can carry other diseases? I really don't know. It is such a shame though as obviously puts you off moving to UK and it would be such an obvious choice for you as you speak the language and also have friends on this forum! We would be able to meet up in person! But yes I would not leave my buns for that time ever [emoji175]

Yes it does seem harsh. There must be a reason? Perhaps they can carry other diseases? I really don't know. It is such a shame though as obviously puts you off moving to UK and it would be such an obvious choice for you as you speak the language and also have friends on this forum! We would be able to meet up in person! But yes I would not leave my buns for that time ever [emoji175]

They made this rule to prevent rabies. Obviously Cookie has a rabies vaccine and a blood test so it's ridiculous. I think they didn't think to remove this rule for rabbits because there aren't many rabbits coming there from countries like us. Because again, this rule was abolished for cats, dogs and birds from countries like us after meeting that requirement. I don't think anyone thinks about rabbits. :roll:
So I can't give up on Cookie, the UK option is shelved for me.

I'm not one for going round a system... But what if you went to France for example.. Then the UK? Via channel crossing? Might be different now we're not in the UK. But we had no issues with our dog between France and UK when we drove.. Just had to see a vet before iirc! Unless they look at where the bun originally came from Idk. I always thought we were strict on rabies because we eradicated it completely? But loads of places haven't? I might be making this up! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I'm not one for going round a system... But what if you went to France for example.. Then the UK? Via channel crossing? Might be different now we're not in the UK. But we had no issues with our dog between France and UK when we drove.. Just had to see a vet before iirc! Unless they look at where the bun originally came from Idk. I always thought we were strict on rabies because we eradicated it completely? But loads of places haven't? I might be making this up! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

These rules do not apply to EU citizens. Whereas, passport, vaccination, blood tests have everything as the pet of EU citizen, this is a great injustice. But unfortunately, countries like us are counted in the same category as 3rd world countries. Maybe if we move to England after living in another European country, it may be accepted, but they do not accept via direct transfer travel.

These rules do not apply to EU citizens. Whereas, passport, vaccination, blood tests have everything as the pet of EU citizen, this is a great injustice. But unfortunately, countries like us are counted in the same category as 3rd world countries. Maybe if we move to England after living in another European country, it may be accepted, but they do not accept via direct transfer travel.
You will have to live in France for a few months then move to the UK to be with us! [emoji175]

You will have to live in France for a few months then move to the UK to be with us! [emoji175]

This plan exists for other years. :D If so, it seems like we will live in a country other than England, but if we come to England later, we can settle there, we do not have the idea of ​​​​moving directly to England.
Life has become so uncertain for us. I have no idea where our future is. If we consider moving to England in the future, I would appreciate it, but it depends on my husband's work. Since my childhood, I have been living by moving from place to place like the migration period. :lol: :lol: My ancestors(Huns) moved from Asia with the migration period, but we still could not stop. :lol: We are still migrating :lol: :lol:

This plan exists for other years. :D If so, it seems like we will live in a country other than England, but if we come to England later, we can settle there, we do not have the idea of ​​​​moving directly to England.
Life has become so uncertain for us. I have no idea where our future is. If we consider moving to England in the future, I would appreciate it, but it depends on my husband's work. Since my childhood, I have been living by moving from place to place like the migration period. [emoji38] [emoji38] My ancestors(Huns) moved from Asia with the migration period, but we still could not stop. [emoji38] We are still migrating [emoji38] [emoji38]
I do hope you find somewhere to settle where you can call it home without worrying that you are not safe, whether it is the UK or another country xxx

Back