• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tough day tomorrow...*graphic* post-op pictures added.

Glad Juno is doing well.

Poor Mack - sounds like he's had a rough time today. Is he home or still at the vets?

Glad Juno is doing well.

Poor Mack - sounds like he's had a rough time today. Is he home or still at the vets?

He's home....he actually came round from the GA better today than in November, when they said if he had been anyone elses rabbit he would have been stopping overnight. He is feeling very, very sorry for himself but has eaten & pooed.

Angie, he is a very brave little boy...apparently he was 'talking' to the receptionist not long after coming round :love::love:.

So glad they both came througgh

and poor Mackenzie..what a trooper actually being nice to the vet nurse after going through all that..give him a cuddle..when he's up to it..from me
and thank you for being such a 5 star bun-mum xx

So glad they both came througgh

and poor Mackenzie..what a trooper actually being nice to the vet nurse after going through all that..give him a cuddle..when he's up to it..from me
and thank you for being such a 5 star bun-mum xx

That's actually made me cry (again :oops:). I've been in pieces over what to do with him for the best, Phil had to sit up with me last week because I was crying myself to sleep with worry over him and doubting my decisions about his treatment.

It means so much more to me than you will ever realise to know you think I've done right by him. I will pass a cuddle on later...he won't even let Lex snuggle him at the moment....has his 'tough man' attitude on. :roll:

Good to hear they are both home. Sending loads of vibes for them both, especially poor Mack - what a brave bunny!! Hope you are OK xxx

What brave bunnies! Mack seems like an absolute trooper!

I'm glad they are both doing well, I can't imagine the worry you must have been feeling.

You sound like a fantastic bunny mum who is doing the best for her bunnies

x

Here are a couple I got of the cavity, these pictures really don't allow you to appeciate just how deep and wide it is inside....I can easily get half a cotton bud in there when swabbing it out.

mackabcess2.jpg

It's a lot cleaner now, this was taken during the first swab & flush when it was still too sore to clean thoroughly....so there is a lot of dried blood and discharge on his jaw. He has one stitch top & bottom.

Mackabcess1.jpg

It's a nightmare to clean because it really hurts him and Phil finds it difficult to help as it makes him retch :roll:.

:(:(:( What a shame :(:(:(
Sending vibes for him to get better soon xxx

Can i ask how this happened (how he got the abcess)? as i am not that clued up on abcesses and would like to know more, so then i know what to look out for in my buns :(:(:(

Really feeling for him :cry:

:(:(:( What a shame :(:(:(
Sending vibes for him to get better soon xxx

Can i ask how this happened (how he got the abcess)? as i am not that clued up on abcesses and would like to know more, so then i know what to look out for in my buns :(:(:(

Really feeling for him :cry:

He had severe dental problems and we had to make the decision to remove his incisors which were eroding in his mouth, sadly this aggravated the surrounding tissue and infection set in....he has had 3 abcesses now since November, but no-one can establish how the infection spread into the second two as they are not in communication with the primary abcess or incisoral cavities.

The most common way of checking for a mandibular (jaw) abcess is to run your fingers under their mouth and check for unusual lumps and bumps. These are most common in dental rabbits.

Abcesses can come up in other area's though, Mack's wife had a retrobulbar abcess (abcess behind the eye). Sadly they are shockingly hard to treat in bunnies and even harder to cure. :(

He had severe dental problems and we had to make the decision to remove his incisors which were eroding in his mouth, sadly this aggravated the surrounding tissue and infection set in....he has had 3 abcesses now since November, but no-one can establish how the infection spread into the second two as they are not in communication with the primary abcess or incisoral cavities.

The most common way of checking for a mandibular (jaw) abcess is to run your fingers under their mouth and check for unusual lumps and bumps. These are most common in dental rabbits.

Abcesses can come up in other area's though, Mack's wife had a retrobulbar abcess (abcess behind the eye). Sadly they are shockingly hard to treat in bunnies and even harder to cure. :(

Omg what a horrible thing to happen :(:(
I have 2 dental buns and both have lumps under their jaw which the vet has no worry about as of now!
Although Fudge's lumps are bigger than skyes :(
Is there a way to help the lumps disappear or is it a case of keeping my eye on them?

Such a shame for your poor bunny, sending him healing vibes :)

Omg what a horrible thing to happen :(:(
I have 2 dental buns and both have lumps under their jaw which the vet has no worry about as of now!
Although Fudge's lumps are bigger than skyes :(
Is there a way to help the lumps disappear or is it a case of keeping my eye on them?

Such a shame for your poor bunny, sending him healing vibes :)

The lumps can also be caused by tooth root erruptions so as long as you and your vet are aware of them and monitoring them don't panic. Obviously any new ones or existing ones that start to grow need to be rechecked.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Back