• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tottis ear abscess * he's gone - p46*

luvabun

Warren Veteran
The original thread...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261480

Particular nasty abscesses and we are now on the third antibiotic (Posatex) as the previous ones have not kept them under control.

I noticed yesterday that he had a pea sized growth on the site which grew to a small marble sized so he's been to the Vets tonight. The abscess was ready to burst so it was lanced.

Here's him tonight, after the lancing. I'm to administer the drops striaght into the hole again for a few days (it will probably heal quickly again).

totts001.jpg

Fingers crossed please that this is going to work xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Jane. It's a real pain - he hates me putting the drops in his ears but I have no choice - doing nothing is not an option. I just hope this last one has the desired effect

We are currently treating Parsley's extremely appalling inner ear abscess with Zithromax and Rifampicin combined.

He already tried nearly all other abx - and had a CT scan which showed it is really huge and has eaten away the bones and ear - this is his 'last chance'!

We will see how it goes - he cannot have it flushed again as he reacts badly to GA now -

Will try and remember to update you if you PM me!

Hi,...
An ear abscess is a serious infection, usually caused by bacteria that have invaded the area called the mastoid processes, the spongy sections of the skull near the ears. It most often occurs in infants and in babies up to 3 years old, and its medical name is mastoiditis,..
regards,..
animal vitamins

Last edited:
We are currently treating Parsley's extremely appalling inner ear abscess with Zithromax and Rifampicin combined.

He already tried nearly all other abx - and had a CT scan which showed it is really huge and has eaten away the bones and ear - this is his 'last chance'!

We will see how it goes - he cannot have it flushed again as he reacts badly to GA now -

Will try and remember to update you if you PM me!
:wave:Sorry to read of Parsleys nasty ear abscess..... they really are horrible, persistent things.

It is good to talk and share treatment ideas as a lot of it is "cutting edge". Fingers crossed for both out precious bunsters x

How's the brave boy doing this morning ?

:wave: Morning Jane - they're in the kitchen and he immeidately circled my feet, begging for food :love:

That's the thing, apart from the abscesses (and mites but they're under control and the Vet thinks that yesterdays second injection should be the last), he's perfectly happy :love:

:wave: Morning Jane - they're in the kitchen and he immeidately circled my feet, begging for food :love:

That's the thing, apart from the abscesses (and mites but they're under control and the Vet thinks that yesterdays second injection should be the last), he's perfectly happy :love:

That's great !! :D

Inserting the nozzle of the Posatex bottle as far as possible into the wound was a very strange feeling. I then had to put it into the second ear and as he usually shakes his head like mad after this, I distracted him with a massage..... and was rewarded with lots of tooth purring :love: :love:

I love my old boy so much :love:

Just back from the Vets where all 3 were well enough for their myxi jabs :) (How Bugsy remains so healthy as he's a prolific licker of both Totti and Kikis abscesses, I'll never know.

Totti - We're to continue with the Posatex as even though the Vet massaged out at least 5 times as much pus as I manage out, the abscess has shrunk.

As for Kiki, to quote the Vet "how did we get to this" .... in a good way, I must add - permanent antibiotics for 3 1/2 years for the nasal bone abscess, she's a healthy weight and in good health apart from her nose :D

I was quite embarrassed by the smell of curried bunnies though - fresh fenugreek radiating from them :oops::oops::oops:

Sorry to hear about Totti's ear abscess, but good news that its shrunk

I didn't know you had a nasal abscess bunny too...my Gypsy came to me with one...hers had eaten away at the cartiledge but hadn't gone into the bone (as far as the vet could tell when it was surgically removed).

Here's Gypsy's thread in case you're intrested:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250456

Post 61 shows the location of her abscess.

She's been abscess free since the surgery in November by using depocillin and then zithromax, although she recently had to have a mammary tumour removed and will need her incisors removing at some point.

Good luck with Totti and Kiki :)

Here's Gypsy's thread in case you're intrested:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250456

Post 61 shows the location of her abscess.

She's been abscess free since the surgery in November by using depocillin and then zithromax, although she recently had to have a mammary tumour removed and will need her incisors removing at some point.
:wave: What a fighter, bless her. Kikis abscess has affected the bone. Initially she was on a penicillin type injection for a year (Helen a.k.a. The duchess had to do them as I'm allergic to penicillin). We've found that the current drug regime works for her and keeps it under control - reconstructive, experimental surgery is not an option. She's another bun that you see belting round the garden, impossible to catch, that you don't realise there's anythign wrong until she faces you and you see her scabby nose.

caspers abcess is a bigger hole :( its nice to know other people experiance with abcess, when the abcess burst was he qiuet the first day? caspers not eating alot and seems off :( .. its horrible seeing him unhappy.. im glad tottis abcess has shrunk :) hoping both casper and tottis can battle through xx

caspers abcess is a bigger hole :( its nice to know other people experiance with abcess, when the abcess burst was he qiuet the first day? caspers not eating alot and seems off :( .. its horrible seeing him unhappy.. im glad tottis abcess has shrunk :) hoping both casper and tottis can battle through xx

Morning Becci - did you see the gruesome photos from the first link? (I put the link in the first post on this thread). The hole was huge but healed up really quickly. Totti was a bit flat after the ops which were done under GA so that's understandable.

Morning Becci - did you see the gruesome photos from the first link? (I put the link in the first post on this thread). The hole was huge but healed up really quickly. Totti was a bit flat after the ops which were done under GA so that's understandable.

i didnt but i just saw them now :shock: caspers is still pussey :( as he hasnt had GA :(

this is going to stound stupid but how did you stop her front bib getting wet, casper hates getting wet and flushing goes everywhere xx

i didnt but i just saw them now :shock: caspers is still pussey :( as he hasnt had GA :(

I find fresh herbs invaluable when they're attempting to throw a post-op sulk... resistence is futile ;)

Still pussey is normal.... I'm just about to massage whatever pus Totti has produced overnight out of his hole....

this is going to stound stupid but how did you stop her front bib getting wet, casper hates getting wet and flushing goes everywhere xx

:lol: ssshhh Totti is a He but don't worry, everyone thinks he's a she... anyway, because the abscess is in his ear, I get it that area messy and I haven't managed not to do so :oops: His boyfriend Bugsy, is a prolific licker and will have a good go at cleaning up my mess though :oops:

Back