• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tongue and groove or plywood hutch? photo here.

binkacat

Young Bun
Am I right in thinking a tongue and grrove hutch is better quality? I'd finally made up my mind to go for a Happy Hutch single hutch and then a friend saw a local joiner who will make me a hutch the same size for nearly half the price of a Happy Hutch. The only thing is that the cheaper hutches look from the photo that they're made from plywood.

Here's a picture of a hutch made by the joiner - he'll do whatever measurements I want;

hutch.jpg

Last edited:
all my hutches are made from ply wood- the thick one and they have lasted for years- two of them are 10 years old and one id four, they are under cover but still obviously have two rabbits peeing in them. All I have had to do is give them a new coat of wood stain every couple of years and on one of them i have replaced the door hinges as they rusted, so personally I would recommend the one in the picture, which looks lovely :D:D I wouls ask what thickness ply it is made from, as the thicker the better
Hutch looks really well made and should last for a long time

Thanks.

Mine wouldn't be under cover. Would that make a difference?

It is going to go inside a run with a mesh run, so I suppose I could maybe nail some plywood or perspex sheet type things over that part of the run which would give the hutch some protection?

I would always go for tongue and groove personally.

Plywood is generally light and flimsy and doesn't last too well. It also lets in the wet much more quickly than T&G even when treated. A major problem with plywood is also that it is light and I have known them to be blown over in high winds, leading to fatalities. Obviously this is not a frequent happening but it would still be on my list of things to think about. I also think that bunny wee soaks in to ply much more easily than T&G. Ply is more difficult to clean as your rag/paper roll will get stuck on it.

I just don't think your ply hutch would last too long, and as bunnies can live to 10 or so you want to invest in something that will last. A cheaper hutch now means that you will probably have to buy another one in a few years down the road.

Sorry to have such a downer on plywood but having had a donated hutch made out of it (now only used as a ply house in our communal run), it just doesn't compare with my T&G ones.:D

Helen

Helen

Plywood comes in different thicknesses so you can get thin stuff eg 5mm and thicker stuff.

Have you asked if he could do a tounge & grove one? You could also clad the back and sides in tounge n grove to make it stronger if you wanted.

Have bitten the bullet and ordered the more expensive Happy Hutch one. :) I think long term I would regret getting the cheaper one. Thanks.

Have bitten the bullet and ordered the more expensive Happy Hutch one. :) I think long term I would regret getting the cheaper one. Thanks.

I have just done a homecheck for someone who bought a fantastic Happy Hutch. I thought it was awesome. I don't think you will be disappointed.:D

I've been following your hutch deliberations with interest as am still wondering which to get do you have a link for the one you decide on please?

I bet the whole of this forum are now breathing a sigh of relief that I've finally made my mind up :D

This is the hutch I'm getting

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=22

I'm also getting a 6ftx8ft run which the hutch will go inside. The run is 32" high with a mesh lid so is totally bunny proof and fox proof and they will be able to have access to it during the day.

I'm going to dig up the grass where the run/hutch is going to go and put mesh down, then relay the turf back on top of it. So they will still have grass to nibble and maybe dig a bit but hopefully not too much! The plan is to have the hutch and run in the same place and not be moving it round the garden. Will have to see how the grass copes.

that sounds a great ida bout laying the turf bk on it... tho i wunder if they will eat it all and then it will b differcult to move, and u will hav to relay the turf left in the old space... but otherwise a brill ida i reckon...i never like the ida of them running round on mesh floor....

I bet the whole of this forum are now breathing a sigh of relief that I've finally made my mind up :D

This is the hutch I'm getting

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=22

I'm also getting a 6ftx8ft run which the hutch will go inside. The run is 32" high with a mesh lid so is totally bunny proof and fox proof and they will be able to have access to it during the day.

I'm going to dig up the grass where the run/hutch is going to go and put mesh down, then relay the turf back on top of it. So they will still have grass to nibble and maybe dig a bit but hopefully not too much! The plan is to have the hutch and run in the same place and not be moving it round the garden. Will have to see how the grass copes.

I have turfed over a run before, the bunnies love it but I found it had to be returfed every spring, doesn't cost much to do though :)

The mesh thats buried isn't going to be attached to the run but rather sheets of mesh from b&q laid underthe run and a few inches under the turf.

Back