• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toffee and Socks - Bonding Day 1

Lemonade

Warren Scout
On today's incredibly miserable day, whilst my little one slept, my partner and I decided it was time to let the bunnies meet.
Ideally, if it's going to work, I'd like the two bonded within the next 2 months or so in the hope that they can keep each other warm in the harsh winter we're allegedly due.
So, we put them in the bath with a few pellets, toys and a 'non - slip' area and hoped for the best.
I assumed that due to their personalities, Toffee would be the dominant and Socks would roll over so to speak but now I'm not so sure.
There was some humping and some snuggling under the other on both parts but we didn't let humping go on for long and toward the end, Socks was doing the odd thump so we called it a day on a happy note.

Just two questions: when should the next date be? Today lasted half an hour or so. Should it be daily and build up the time or...?

Also, when do I know that I can attempt moving them into the same hutch? They'll be going in Toffee's so I know I need to scrub and neutralise it. Just wondering what the general time scale is, if there is one.

There was no grooming today but they ended up being happy in each other's company - no fighting.

Here's a few pics:
u2ase6u9.jpg

bube6ubu.jpg

yby6u2e9.jpg

7u6yqaqu.jpg

Socks relaxing :love:
abymeryp.jpg

7egejuru.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I find the best way to bond rabbits is to put them together in a neutral area and as long as there is no fighting lasting for more than 3 or 4 seconds then keep them together. You can separate them at night time if you can't stay nearby, then continue the following morning. By Day 3 they should be much more relaxed with one another and at the end of the week you should be able to transfer them to their permanent home. Giving them lots of things to nibble at such as hay or veg helps the bonding as they don't feel anxious about there being less food now that there is 2 of them.

we do several bonds a year for our customers and we bond every day , sometimes twice a day. each bond session can last up to an hour depending on their behaviour, we never leave them unsupervised, the behaviour can quickly change and if you leave them you could come back to a bunny massacre .

seven bonds this year all took a week before we could even start to think they would make it and after the owners took them home they continued with the process,

please just don't leave them to get on with it, oh and btw , wear oven gloves , ive been bitten more than once this year splitting bunnies up, im sure the bunnies think my oven gloves are alpha bunny and they tend to behave when the gloves come into the scene:D

Thank you :) certainly won't be leaving them unsupervised because there were a few scuffles today.
My partner is the one to be splitting up fights, I'm a bit of a wuss! That's why the black towel is on the side of the bath - it came into play a fair amount but some of it was more precautionary. Would rather be safe than sorry!

Agree, putting them together fairly often, preferably daily, and gradually increasing the time, often works best. And only gradually increase their space when any nipping, humping etc has stopped. Some buns bond within a couple of days/dates, but with others it can take a bit longer, maybe a week or so. And when you do move them into the hutch, don't worry if they seem to take a step backwards, they may just need to reestablish who's top bun in the new territory.
Good luck, and RU is always here for advice.

Day two has gone well. They had another hour in the bath but this time with a towel lining the bottom so it wasn't as slippery. There was about a minutes worth of Toffee humping Socks, the stubborn whatsit just went straight back when I nudged her off but otherwise, they didn't bat an eyelid at each other's company and ended up cuddling at the end :love:
Going to give them another night or two in the bath I think before I expand the area. Early days but pleased with how it's going so far.

Day three not gone so well :( Put them out on the grass in our smallest run. They got on fine for 10 minutes but then there was lots of chasing and fur flying.
I ended up splitting them up as I was worried it was going to have a negative affect on the bonding process. My OH on the other hand thinks I should've "let them get it out of their system". If I didn't have my daughter, I think
I would just put them in the same place for 24 supervised hours but I can only manage a few hours a day.
Little bit bummed about today but will go back to the bath tomorrow and try again - unless anyone else can advise?

Last edited:
Back to dating in a smaller space for a few days. SLOWLY increase the size once no fights have occured. Mabe only part of the run next time until they have settled in the new space.

Back