• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumping

Buka

Warren Scout
I wonder what is causing Benji to thump just now.

He’s out of his room and has the run of the house. We’re unwell and in bed and he’s been hopping in the bed with us, running about, he’s been fed etc.

Then he started thumping about 5min ago and is still going strong. I tried reassuring him, I checked if he’s injured. He seems fine but very alert. Sniffing hard with his head high up and thumping.

Something is bothering him and I can’t work out what it is. No new smells in our home and I can’t hear anything that could be distressing him.

What can I do ?

Could be literally anything. Something outside, next door, upstairs/downstairs if you're in a flat, a pigeon on the roof, an aircraft, car, boat... it's difficult to tell!

He might've heard something you can't hear, as bunnies have better hearing than we do. It might help if you can try to distract him, by offering a toy or playing with him. That helps sometimes with Casper and Sophie. Sometimes the only thing that'll calm them down is to just wait until they feel like the danger has passed, though.

I literally checked the whole apartment to see if we’ve got mice or anything. But nothing that I can see. I put the light on in the hall. I wonder if he has a bad eyesight because I noticed before that he gets a fright of us if it’s quite dark in the house but when the light is on he’s not afraid. Since I’ve put the light on he’s calmed down a bit and has cautiously ventured out into the hall but ran right back into the bedroom. Still alert but not thumping.

Yes we’re in an apartment so maybe he has heard something. Never had him thump for such a long amount of time at once before but he’s quite the thumper :)

I'm glad turning on the light made him calm down a bit. You could ask the vets about his eye sight next time you're there. Rabbits don't see in the complete dark, but they can normally see quite well when there's not much light.

Twice in the past two days Sophie has heard something that made her hide and thump her foot for quite a long time, so it really just happens sometimes, and you can't always find out what it was. :)

That makes sense :) Flopsy has never been much of a thumper so it’s quite new to me. Benji thumps for many reasons. I was worried about him because he was thumping for a prolonged period of time this morning.

He’s completely fine now though and snoozing :)

Back