• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thriantas New Set Up and Bunny Proofing

DemiS

Warren Veteran
This is where they sleep at night, It's the Plaza (aka Krolik) 160 cage. I think it's the biggest indoor cage you can buy and they make extensions for it too so I'm going to extend it and give them more room as they grow :) They really seem to like it, they spend most of their time in their even when the door is open (unless they think one of us has treats :lol: ) PS my partner made them an instagram - @elmocookiebuns

14445414_10154439989890772_852862904_n.jpg

14442615_10154439989835772_1570832755_n.jpg

14409021_10154439989940772_1187723197_n.jpg

As for bunny proofing, the rug is soaked with chew stoppa and this is on all the skirting boards too. Under the sofa we have stuffed dark grey pipe insulation (B&Q) which is invisible unless you crouch right down but it stops bunnies (and stray poops) from going under. Between the plug sockets and tv/computer we have a box which the extension lead and any excess wire is in. Any wire that has to be out is covered in thick plastic cable wrap (also B&Q), but we've blocked off that area and the fireplace with a cheap trixie pen which can be easily folded away

14442806_10154439990010772_795541896_n.jpg

14409089_10154434698335772_1711013179_n.jpg

14397873_10154434698270772_397609861_n.jpg

Like the bunny proofing :thumb: I assume they aren't shut in the cage at any time?

Could you cover say half the cage so the bunnies don't feel so exposed? The cage is open all round isn't it and I would hate to live in a house where everyone could look in etc. So I am sorry to be critical but rabbits, as prey animals, need to feel protected. I have taken quite a few rabbits off folk who have kept them in cages like yours and the bunnies have been very aggressive.

Like the bunny proofing :thumb: I assume they aren't shut in the cage at any time?

Currently they have to be shut in at night for their own safety (max 6 hours and we check on them at 3am through the night and give them a run) as we've only had them for a few days and these are my first house rabbits, so each day we're learning new areas that we're going to have to bunnyproof. At 3am and in the morning when we let them out they tend to have a quick hop around the living room and then go back to their cage and sleep so hopefully the temporary night confinement isn't bothering them too much, I appreciate it's not ideal but I feel that it's better than risking them getting in to an area we thought was blocked off

Could you cover say half the cage so the bunnies don't feel so exposed? The cage is open all round isn't it and I would hate to live in a house where everyone could look in etc. So I am sorry to be critical but rabbits, as prey animals, need to feel protected. I have taken quite a few rabbits off folk who have kept them in cages like yours and the bunnies have been very aggressive.

Hello, it's covered up in the day when the curtains are open but I haven't been doing it at night when its dark. Thanks for the advice though I'm going to cover it up at night too :oops: Honestly they're the most confident little rabbits I've ever seen, I've not once seen them bolt or hide or even go in the fully covered area of their cage, they will choose to sleep in the middle of the living room where it's most open, even the vacuum doesn't bother them. It is very exposed though and even though I've never seen them get scared that's not to say they don't get scared at night when we're asleep.

Oh wow . . . Thriantas! :love:

Definitely one of the most striking breeds of rabbit, I'd absolutely LOVE one but they never seem to come up in rescues (they are quite rare though so I guess that's logical).

Definitely one of the most striking breeds of rabbit, I'd absolutely LOVE one but they never seem to come up in rescues (they are quite rare though so I guess that's logical).

I have a rescue one :wave: she is an absolute :censored: though :lol:

They do occasionally come up, when I was searching for rabbits I found a thrianta boy on rabbit rehome (although he was just listed as 'medium rabbit' rather than by his breed), he was taken though when I contacted the person rehoming him. They come up on freeads/pets4homes/gumtree sometimes too when people can't look after them anymore like mine

Just seen this post and my gosh they're stunning little babies! Love the set up, perfect for their age at the moment too. I've always found the chestnut coloured animals to be very, very feisty.... Perhaps it's just my luck :lol:!

Back