• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who adopted 'problem' rabbits...

Angel was from Pets @ Home adoption and was pretty aggressive, lunging and punching and territorial. We gave her lots of attention and touched her a lot and she got used to it fairly quickly. She still hates being picked up, but she's a big girl :lol: She also does mind hands reaching into the hutch, being tickled any even me getting into the run with her. In fact, she usually settles down for a tickle!

It's very rewarding to be able to help a bunny, especially the ones that have been mistreated or negelected like those on this thread.

I took my Lily from pact as she was REALLY aggressive if you put your hand in her cage... I thought no one would ever rehome her... literally as soon as she arrived home she was a changed bunny!!! I was all geared up for a challenge with her but from day 1 at my house she has been an angel :love:
I have just taken on a new boy Jasper who has a broken leg, he is very scared of new people and will bite and will go for your hand if it is unexpected. He is very scared and hates being picked up - he was like this before the break as well although I suspect most of it is down to pain, so hopefully he will calm down soon :love:

When I adopted Poppy she was terrified of people and impossible to pick up. (Partly cos she was nervy and aggressive cos she wasn't spayed, but partly because she'd been pretty much completely ignored by her previous owners.)

She was my first rabbit so I just assumed that either all rabbits were like that, or that it was her personality, and she'd stay like that, so I didn't make any particular effort to "change" her.

But just from having regular attention, handling and exercise, she became the sweetest thing :love: with such an inquisitive, friendly personality. It was definitely very rewarding to see her blossom like that.

She went mental again the following spring when the days got longer and hormones kicked in :love: but the vets took care of that and when she came back she was her usual lovely self again :)

When we first got April she was very aggressive, growling and lunging when I picked her up - a few times she actually locked onto my hand and didn't let go. She also bit me pretty hard a couple of times on my chest :shock: If I sat with her in the run, she'd go nut's running round and round and launching her teeth into my feet, legs or butt; I got quite a few bruises in the early days :lol:

Eventually she began to settle down some, and the first time she ran to my hand and washed it, I cried :love:

She still will growl and bite if I pick her up differently than usual - say I'm in a hurry, and I approach her from a different angle, and reach out to her without giving her a warning of what's about to happen with a gentle stroke. But after that, once she is in my arms, she has become my most cuddly bun, and will get herself comfey and snuggle up for kisses :love:

I have 3 semi wildies - Mum is a dutch who was thrown out, 'seen to' by a wild buck and had 3 babes. I have all of them. they are definitely more wild in temperament but the boy took a treat from my hand today and they come and investigate their food bowl without running away. They also let me give them nose rubs without running away. This to me is a huge huge step. They will never love me, but after 1.5 years and a lot of patience, they seem to tolerate me and not see me as a threat.
I have 9 bunnies (at the moment) and 3 of them are ok with people, the rest are timid, scared, difficult (in that you have to really persevere) and sometimes frustrating. One boy was tormented and abused as a baby (hit with sticks by children) and after 2.5 years of me having him, he will run round my feet grunting when I bring food and sit in my arms without quivering when I (finally!) catch him. He does put up a chase and hide his head when he knows I am going to pick him up, but he doesn't shy away or thump anymore. I feel proud of this too. They are all different but although the ones who are 'warmer' give you pleasure because they are easier, the ones you have recued, or given confidence back to, are the more rewarding ones. Jill (honeybunny) will remember little Ollie (the abused one) and he is a different rabbit now. He adores his wifey bun (a 3 times bigger gorgeous purple rex) but he also has such a cheeky personality with me that took a few years to discover.
My two most recent additions, and the most timid rabbit I have ever owned, is my current 'project'. some might remember him, Jester, fostered by Fluffers. He is very shy, but at least now he will come and see what I am doing when cleaning him out and he always comes to sniff at food. I want to get to the stage where he will come and sit by me for a stroke - we have ways to go, but I know he will with a bit of time.
sorry, I feel a bit emotional now. What a good thread. I hadn't thought about it until I sat down now to reply.

Maia always was, and still is, people shy and hand shy, and sometimes aggressive. Yet yesterday I came home after a 2-week absence, and this morning at 5 am she rewarded me with the most amazing binkies I ever saw her doing and licked my hand - something I thought would NEVER happen! :love: I'm glad I have her because she wouldn't have been good for children. But I love her lots.

Topsy came from a sort of unofficial rescue. I'm not sure what her background was but I was scratched and bitten all over and she was evil to my other bun, Thunder to start with. I had never had a bitey bunny before (she was only my third). I'm not sure what her background was before she went to the rescue. Over time, she just became a lovely happy bun. I remember the first time she gave me bunny licks - I almost cried! She grew to love cuddles too and would hop over to me as soon as I went into the garden. Sadly we lost her last year.

Got another 2 girl buns from SSPCA. They have never been abused/neglected as they were born in the rescue but they're really wary of humans. They usually keep a safe distance and it's a bit of a nightmare catching them for vet visits! They even used to run away if I opened the kitchen window. They've stopped doing that now and sometimes I see tiny signs of progress but it's going to be a long road if they're ever going to trust me. I hope they can but there are 3 bunnies sharing so at least they've got each other if not.

I didnt adopt Honey but shes had problems from the start.

I got told about her as an "ex breeder" who had most of his rabbits taken off by the rspca were going to let her an 3 others go. My friend took the other two who later died and I took Honey.

She was 5weeks old, when I went to get her he pinned her in the hutch then chuckd her onto a table to "look at".

She was nervous, bit, boxed, grunted, thumped and scratced.

Shes come with her problems, liver problems one eye removed patial sight in the other and limited hearing. Because of these its been hard work.

She doesn't like being picked up and Iv'e come to terms with she lts me hold her for a shot while but shes not happy and with er problems finds it stressful.
For the first 8months the onl way I could clean her out was to heard her into a carrier, she was exteamly huth territorial. Now I can stroke her, nose rubs an she licks my hands/fingers and nose.

Iv'e got Blue mainly to thank as hes so good with her and hes such acuddly bun she seems to of come round by seeing him being so loving.

Shes a happy wee thing but if her sight and hearing was better I;m sure she would be too but I love her for the way she is.
Iv'e cried and torn my hair out atmany occasions but its all worth it.

LOVE my problem bunny :love: Difficult ones are my favourite :D

Mavis had been in rescue for over a year and apparently was so terrified that she would just sit with her head in the corner and shake when anyone came near her. She wasn't able to be put into a run because the space just petrified her and she freaked out.

But Dudley has taught her to chill out, relax and be confident. She's not the most human friendly of bunnies (although she will come up and snatch food from me if she thinks it's worth her while :lol:) but I've found it so rewarding to see her develop into a confident, happy bun who is perfectly at ease in larger spaces and enjoys being with her husbun :) The fact that she's not too keen on me doesn't really bother me that much as I can see how happy she is and for the most part displays normal bunny behaviour. I'm so glad I was able to give her that chance :)

We adopted Ruby as an aggressive and temperamental bunny, she was very hutch aggressive and boxed us constantly at first but it seemed to be out of fear more than anything.

After she had been spayed and bonded with Castiel, who is a massive cuddle bun, she started to settle down, and now she will come running over to us for kisses and cuddles.

The only 'problem' we still have with her is that she goes mad for food, she will bite any flesh that stands in her way! She seems to just be completely blinded by her excitement as soon as the pellets or vegetables appear that she doesn't realise that she is biting us.

Jasmine and Daphne were very shy and nervous when we got them, we have had them for about a year now and it has taken this long to build their confidence in us.

It is so rewarding to 'tame' a problem bunny :love:

not so much a problem rabbit but a very shy bun:cry:

adopted from rspca and was 'a very socially friendly bun especially with other male buns'!

Bonding didnt go very well because Flopsy loved her tooo much and she was a very independant bun, didnt need him at all and he was so miserable after losing his partner.

Is still very skittish and unapproachable but her husbun Flopsy is a totally changed bun (probably because she grooms him whereas his previous bun never did) so its Flopsy whose changed and not my adopted bun - she is still very shy and unapproachable....

Lovely stories guys! I've read them all but don't want to quote them all.

I am glad so many of you have found it as rewarding as I have! Although a lot of you have had much more extreme cases of bunny aggression, but i'm glad everyone came through the other end please with the rabbit's progress!

Back