• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

There's something seriously wrong with Benji....He's gone.

Thanks everybody.

Benji's bloods have come back with some liver markers (can't tell you what I was told as my head isn't in a good place) but also high white cell count. His liver still feels weird and he is "not right" so he's having another scan today and I've been told to stay by my phone in case they ring. Depending on the scan then surgery/exploratory surgery could be on the cards. He just looked so withdrawn yesterday morning, I know this is extremely serious.

:cry:

Millions more vibes being sent xx

Thanks everybody. I feel bad as I only seem to come on RU with crises these days.

Benji hasn't improved today, though he will take syringe feeds he's not eating on his own and his demeanour isn't positive. The liver is still rounded and not normal in presentation. He's on the ops list for tomorrow unless he eats loads overnight and responds to the treatment he's on he will be investigated. I think the very strong possibility is that he will be 'let go' during the procedure but it depends what is found. Whatever it is is making him very poorly. It's deemed very unlikely to be a torsion as he's not anaemic. ... anyhow, I've already had 3 with liver lobe torsions so we ain't due another one! I'm strongly expecting to be bringing Betsy home on her own and I'm just heartbroken. I had meant to move Benji and Betsy indoors after Erin died, I've just taken a while with the planning but after my reorganisation they were to be house rabbits - I was looking forward to having them indoors. I'm really struggling with the idea of losing him but we are going to need a miracle for that not to be the case.

I'm so sorry, and I really hope that your worst fears aren't confirmed. Sending a million more vibes for little Benji and a hug for you. I will be thinking of him tomorrow xxx

More vibes from me for dear Benji and some more (((((hugs)))))) for you. I'm so sorry the prognosis is so dire. You're in my thoughts and prayers. xxxxx

Thanks everybody. I feel bad as I only seem to come on RU with crises these days.

Benji hasn't improved today, though he will take syringe feeds he's not eating on his own and his demeanour isn't positive. The liver is still rounded and not normal in presentation. He's on the ops list for tomorrow unless he eats loads overnight and responds to the treatment he's on he will be investigated. I think the very strong possibility is that he will be 'let go' during the procedure but it depends what is found. Whatever it is is making him very poorly. It's deemed very unlikely to be a torsion as he's not anaemic. ... anyhow, I've already had 3 with liver lobe torsions so we ain't due another one! I'm strongly expecting to be bringing Betsy home on her own and I'm just heartbroken. I had meant to move Benji and Betsy indoors after Erin died, I've just taken a while with the planning but after my reorganisation they were to be house rabbits - I was looking forward to having them indoors. I'm really struggling with the idea of losing him but we are going to need a miracle for that not to be the case.

I so hope that Benji will somehow have managed to improve overnight. I am so very sorry that on top of everything else you have another seriously ill Rabbit to be desperately worried about :cry: Millions more vibes being sent xx

He was opened up. It wasn't fixable. He's gone. Still don't know yet what it was but his liver wasn't going to work so we had to save him from a horrible death.

5 years 2 months old. My beautiful boy has gone. Poor Betsy. yet again I had reservations about bonding bunnies of different ages and have lost the younger one first.

He was opened up. It wasn't fixable. He's gone. Still don't know yet what it was but his liver wasn't going to work so we had to save him from a horrible death.

5 years 2 months old. My beautiful boy has gone. Poor Betsy. yet again I had reservations about bonding bunnies of different ages and have lost the younger one first.

Speechless ............... :cry:

(((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xx

Back