• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Yorkshire vet

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
Ive just been watching the yorkshire vet and there was a rabbit on with a injured leg, to examine it both the owner and the vet held the rabbit on its back. They had already said the rabbits heart was beating very fast as it was, surely holding the rabbit on its back even just for an examination is dangerous? Or is this standard practice at the vets?

Thanks

Amy

Ive just been watching the yorkshire vet and there was a rabbit on with a injured leg, to examine it both the owner and the vet held the rabbit on its back. They had already said the rabbits heart was beating very fast as it was, surely holding the rabbit on its back even just for an examination is dangerous? Or is this standard practice at the vets?

Thanks

Amy

There are occasions, particularly at the vet, where it's necessary to do this. Sometimes there's no other way to deal with the problems facing the vet concerning the rabbit.

FHB covered this at her lectures. It was a very emotive subject to her & I can understand why, as she has dedicated her personal (& private) life to the welfare of rabbits. She wanted to challenge this technique as one that is dangerous & stressful rabbits. A particular experiment appears to be at the heart of the misconception where rabbits were scruffed & put on their backs. She spoke of the difference between doing it supportively & very gently. There was a video of a rabbit having an xray using this technique & it later ate greens on its back. Terrified bunnies don't eat. So to avoid anaesthetics, injury, or to examine, I'd say it is more than fine. Before I went to the lectures I was of the opinion it was bad & dangerous just cos so many sources said it was true

We used this in the vets when doing dentals and treating things such as flystrike when good access to gentials etc is essential.
So long as its done carefully & slowly & the rabbit is monitors I think its a good technique in the right circumstances.

We covered it at college and studies have shown some rabbis do become stressed during it, but you need to take the whole situation into account.

We used this in the vets when doing dentals and treating things such as flystrike when good access to gentials etc is essential.
So long as its done carefully & slowly & the rabbit is monitors I think its a good technique in the right circumstances.

We covered it at college and studies have shown some rabbis do become stressed during it, but you need to take the whole situation into account.

Do you mean your vet did dentals on a conscious rabbit?

Back