• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Weather and Buns

Thanks, I just worry that as I've had them since being 8 weeks old they won't know that they should be going inside as their Mum isn't there to show them what to do .... in the wild they'd probably copy everyone else but as it is I'm just hoping they're not being a bit dim not realising that they'd be warmer inside the hutch :? :?

For this reason, I am so glad my two are indoors. There isn't half as much stress as all year round I can keep the rooms regulated to a comfortable temperature. We have the air-con on now because it is heating up :lol:

I would die in a big puddle of stress if my two were outside. So many additional worries.

Thanks, I just worry that as I've had them since being 8 weeks old they won't know that they should be going inside as their Mum isn't there to show them what to do .... in the wild they'd probably copy everyone else but as it is I'm just hoping they're not being a bit dim not realising that they'd be warmer inside the hutch :? :?

I'm sure they've had a quick hop around to find out which room is warmer and where they want to be... they'll be working on natural bunny instinct...

I do shut mine up in the hutch at night, so I know when the coldest temperature are about, they are in the warmest (and sefest) place :)

You've two young fit & adorable bunnies, who I am sure appreciate all the worry ou are taking over them...

Can't be too cold, my water bottles haven't even frozen yet!

Hannah :)

I work late and always go to check my buns and say 'night' to them before I retire. Even in this temperature they are always out in the run that joins their shed, which contains their hutch. There's plenty of hay and hidyholes -I've made tunnels with a central chamber, (out of wood), which they use...(plenty of evidence for that!)...I just assume they'll go where they feel safest and warmest. I don't think it'd be right for me to bring mine in to a much warmer enviroment then they have to go out to near freezing temperatures, as I can't keep them inside :)().
(I also have removable perspex windows around the run for weather protection.)

For this reason, I am so glad my two are indoors. There isn't half as much stress as all year round I can keep the rooms regulated to a comfortable temperature. We have the air-con on now because it is heating up :lol:

I would die in a big puddle of stress if my two were outside. So many additional worries.

Mega Jealous! Mind in 3 weeks time all of mine will be indoors with a radiator. Where as only one of my bunnies is indoor at the moment. Though the landlords letting me off keeping them indoors as I don't have a shed until after Christmas :roll: :lol: He doesn't know that next year I'm hoping to move to a house with a garage that I can put a heater in :D

We're about -1/2oC just now at night, but so far the buns are OK :) I have a blanket under the hutch cover, but nothing on the bottles yet.

Mine currently have loads of straw in the hutch and I have put two bags of straw on top of the hutch in the hope it will make it a little warmer. I have half made a cover out of silver insulation but ran out of tape so have to wait until Friday to finish it off when I am off work

I worry about none more in the heat than the cold!!

Mine are in the shed atm, Paddy has mucho winter fur atm, they've got a blanket in the bedding under paper and hay and a cover over the front but both are usually sat under the dripping water bottle.....

Back