• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the hutch floor- how can i protect it from absorbing wee

amme

Warren Scout
i do not want to put lino down etc as this just gets chewed up!!!!! Is there any sort of paint or varnish i can use please that will stop the wee being absorbed into the wood. We have just bought a new hutch for them and want to get it done asap.

You could try lino but keep it in place using little batons of wood screwed into place around the edges? That way, you've got the protection from the lino, and no visible edges for your rabbits to chew.

xxx

thanks. i was thinking more of the corners where they always seem to wee. they have litter trays but always seem to miss and it goes down the side LOL. it also creeps underneath the edges of the lino :cry:

You could just cut the lino into strips? A piece on the floor, a piece along the back wall and another piece along the side wall? If you get what I mean :roll:

I suppose a bit of wee is likely to go through the cracks, but not too much.

Or you could just screw the litter tray in place :lol:

xxx

I cut my lino slightly too big for the floor - about an inch or so larger in each direction, then cut a slit at each corner and tacked it down so that there was a bit of lino sitting up against the walls all the way around. Does that make sense? Not easy to explain! This way the only place you have a slit in the lino is in the corner but it's actually not on the floor but up the wall! You can put wooden batons on top if you need to/think they'll chew :D

Could you seal the edges? Cut it to fit perfectly and then seal it with a sealant.

Mmmmmmm could do. I was thinking on the lines of Thompson water seal!!!!!!!!!! Or varnish. Anything do that the wee dosnt soak into the wood!!!! What do u think.

I would think most varnishes would be fine when dry as rabbits don't really chew the floor as there are no edges to get too. If you read the tins in the DIY store you might find something that's marked as pet safe or suitable for kids toys. You'll need temporary housing for a few days whilst you put a couple of coats on, let it dry and air out. Most house rabbits are around varnish on floor or wood work.

You could try a hooded litter tray if wee seeps over the edges?

I had the same problem, but since Pip has her new tray the hutch has been immaculate & everything stays in the tray - meaning I dont have to disinfect Pips hutch in the toilet dept on a daily basis:)

I had the same problem, but since Pip has her new tray the hutch has been immaculate & everything stays in the tray - meaning I dont have to disinfect Pips hutch in the toilet dept on a daily basis:)

Back