• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial bunny - Poddington Pea U/D back to square one..

Could he be in pain? Is he maybe unwell? Rather then not liking you he might be distressed due to discomfort...

fee x

Could he be in pain? Is he maybe unwell? Rather then not liking you he might be distressed due to discomfort...

fee x

I'm not sure.. he seems fine in himself, jumping around etc I watch him from the stairs or when I go to bed :oops: It just seems to be when I try and interact with him..

I feel like I'm letting him down but it's just so draining.. :(

When I move towards him yes, otherwise he just stays as far away from me as possible :(

I think you maybe have tried to be a little rushed with him. I note that you went full on with him after you had him around a week baring in mind he has had a very traumatic few months it may takes months or years to gain his trust. You have gazillions of love for him but it has to be at his pace.
Ive noted that nethies seem to be the most lively buns Ive fostered ;). If I were you I would start back at square one and do it very very very slowly.

Putting a hand down to a bun with a whopping great gardening glove on could be something he doesn't like, the glove that is!

Start back at square one, sit at the side of him talking, singing etc. then walk away. When you take food in get down to his level, scary as it may be, sit still when he charges at you. He maybe just coming for nosey rubs. Has she actually drawn blood?

Remember you are out at work allday, so the bonding with you process is very fragmented. Please don't give up I know it can be easier to say than do but you have so much to give and Pod wants so much a person like you.

PM me when times are hard, I'm no expert but sometimes having someones ear to chew can put things into perspective. Hang in there, it will come good :wave:

Oh dear you do sound like you having a tough time of it with him. Is he the barc bunny, because I've got Mr Spoon who has now been renamed Paddington, and I'm sure Peabody was in the same group that were rescued. I've only had Paddington 3 weeks I think and I knew about his trust issues, but I have been the complete opposite with him, and last night he started following me about and running up to me and even gave me some kisses. Because I was so worried about scaring him even more, I didn't actually interact with him at all physically. Obviously fed him and looked after him, but sat the other side of the room reading to him, then had ipod thing on with headphones and was so lost in the music lol opened my eyes whilst still singing at the top of my voice, and crikey there he was right in front of me, stood up on his back legs, looking at me as though I had just landed from planet mars, and I held my hand out to him and he ran up to me, sniffed it and gave it a little lick. I personally think you are trying way to hard and trying to run before you can walk with him kind of thing. You need to take a step back and ignore him, try and reposition his food somewhere easier for you to put it in, so that he can't attack you. Completely challenge his way of thinking and get his interest in you. Before I have had to have a piece of wood or a large hardbacked book to use as a screen so as to not get attacked, and because you know then that he can't get you or hurt you, that will help your confidence and make you less stressed and him the same. Sounds like you are both feeding of each others anxiety and going round in circles, and I think you need to now take yourself out of the circle. Honestly you are going to have the most fantastic bond with this fur monster, but it will take time. When he comes up to you I wouldn't even reach out to touch him, just have your hand on the floor and maybe put a little treat on it, and don't react other than to talk to him when he takes it off your hand. Just remembered another thing I did was wear a jumper I wasn't overly fussed about and then when I had worn it all day, put it in his bed with a fav food on. That way he will get used to your smell and if you keep leaving something nice on it for him to eat, he will start to associate you with nice things. It's really hard I know because we love them so much and want them to us as well, but he has been through such a lot, it's going to take a lot longer for him to love and trust you, but he will.

Start back at square one, sit at the side of him talking, singing etc. then walk away. When you take food in get down to his level, scary as it may be, sit still when he charges at you. He maybe just coming for nosey rubs. Has she actually drawn blood?

Remember you are out at work allday, so the bonding with you process is very fragmented. Please don't give up I know it can be easier to say than do but you have so much to give and Pod wants so much a person like you.

Thanks, He's defiantly not just coming up for nose rubs, he'll come running from the other side of the room stop in front of my hand and then lunge at it.. He's drawn blood from scratching, but I've always managed to get my hand out of the way before he manages to bite me.. That's why I started using the glove so that when he is biting I don't move my hand.

I only work during the day on Sunday's, I've pretty much spent a lot of the day most days just sat on the other side of his pen talking to him. Took him into the bathroom a couple of times for a little extra runaround, first time was fine, second was a complete nightmare..

Oh dear you do sound like you having a tough time of it with him. Is he the barc bunny, because I've got Mr Spoon who has now been renamed Paddington, and I'm sure Peabody was in the same group that were rescued. I've only had Paddington 3 weeks I think and I knew about his trust issues, but I have been the complete opposite with him, and last night he started following me about and running up to me and even gave me some kisses. Because I was so worried about scaring him even more, I didn't actually interact with him at all physically. Obviously fed him and looked after him, but sat the other side of the room reading to him, then had ipod thing on with headphones and was so lost in the music lol opened my eyes whilst still singing at the top of my voice, and crikey there he was right in front of me, stood up on his back legs, looking at me as though I had just landed from planet mars, and I held my hand out to him and he ran up to me, sniffed it and gave it a little lick. I personally think you are trying way to hard and trying to run before you can walk with him kind of thing. You need to take a step back and ignore him, try and reposition his food somewhere easier for you to put it in, so that he can't attack you. Completely challenge his way of thinking and get his interest in you. Before I have had to have a piece of wood or a large hardbacked book to use as a screen so as to not get attacked, and because you know then that he can't get you or hurt you, that will help your confidence and make you less stressed and him the same. Sounds like you are both feeding of each others anxiety and going round in circles, and I think you need to now take yourself out of the circle. Honestly you are going to have the most fantastic bond with this fur monster, but it will take time. When he comes up to you I wouldn't even reach out to touch him, just have your hand on the floor and maybe put a little treat on it, and don't react other than to talk to him when he takes it off your hand. Just remembered another thing I did was wear a jumper I wasn't overly fussed about and then when I had worn it all day, put it in his bed with a fav food on. That way he will get used to your smell and if you keep leaving something nice on it for him to eat, he will start to associate you with nice things. It's really hard I know because we love them so much and want them to us as well, but he has been through such a lot, it's going to take a lot longer for him to love and trust you, but he will.

Yeah he is, was picked up as a stray. His food bowl is directly under the bit of the roof I can lift up but it doesn't matter where I put it. He comes charging over as soon as he hears the lid opening.

I'll stop taking him out of the pen then, and just continue talking to him through the bars.. go back to basics

Are you able to let him out while you do his housekeeping to break the cycle, which would also mean he associates your arrival with some fun and having a run about?

Yeah I have been letting him have a runabout in the bathroom, he was fine in there to start with but he's started to lunge at me in there now..

Unfortunately not, and as much as I hate it and feel awful he's going back to the rescue..

He's just not settling here and he seems so stressed :( I think it's the best thing for him and quite frankly I'm gutted but I think it would be selfish of me to keep him just because I want him.. :(

Aww oh you tried really hard and gave him lots of love xxx don't feel guilty x

Thanks.. but it's so hard not to, I feel like I'm giving up on him and I'm just as bad as the people that buy a rabbit then give up on it so they end up in rescues.. :(

Ah I'm so sorry, I know how much you tried with him and how much you loved him. Please don't feel guilty.

Back