• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Terrifying, and wrong, things bunny owners say...and believe

When I got my first bunny I was told that she was a boy, that rabbits are fine on their own, that they don't need to be neutered/spayed and that breeding is good for them, nor do you need to have them vaccinated, that they need hardly any space because they don't do much, that they should eat pet muesli from the supermarket and whatever fruit and veg scraps you have from the kitchen, ideally carrots, with no mention of hay at all... :shock:

I did my own research and made sure she had a good life (the vet was not impressed when she turned up to be neutered without testicles to start with!). But the bunnies at the house (a school friend) were living in an outside bird aviary with probably 2ftx3ft of space, living on scraps and occasional bowls of rabbit food, with no hay whatsoever. They had burrowed under the building the aviary was built against but hadn't managed to find their way to freedom. Needless to say the breeder had never even heard of a "binky". It was horrible. They saw baby bunnies as a way to make £10 here and there, and if they died when they grew up (which several did), then it didn't really matter because "they're only rabbits". Bubby was given to me as a gift, like a box of chocolates or a scarf.

I have no understanding of people that can't even be bothered to find out the proper care for their animals.

'rabbits will only wee in a litter tray, nowhere else. So i advise you buy this 5 litre bag of rabbit litter for £8'

This is what i was told when buying my bun, he pees everywhere but the litter tray! 😆

Hmm...have to say that is true of almost all rabbits Ive met...so not really fair to class it as 'terrifying and wrong' ;)

The attitude of well we've always done it this way isn't just restricted to animals, when I had my daughter my husband and I would get so frustrated with our parents outraged views, mainly on babies sleeping on their backs and in your room. Both of these have been properly proven to significantly reduce the risk of cot death. Whenever we said that we were just met with oh no that's not how we did it and you turned out fine, oh ok because something turned out ok for you we will go against scientific evidence and do what you think should we, I mean it's only the life of our baby to consider and you obviously know best. People really can be moronic xx

The classic one for that is "Well my dad smoked 40 cigs a day and lived to 95 so that's proof that smoking is fine." :roll:

Science? What's that? :lol:

Back