• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taking 3week old rabbits to school

Hi everyone, I could really do with some advice please? I work as a teaching assistant in a local school and my rabbits recent had six kits. Teachers have asked if it would be possible to bring the newborns into a class for a short visit as it would be a great learning experience for the children. The class is on a topic learning about farms, the country and animals so it would be really good timing for the chilren to see them because some of the children haven't really seen animals besides cats or dogs!
I am not worried about transportation or the envirnment as the lesson would be set up to be a calm and quiet one because the children are well behaved and the kits won't be handled by anyone except myself. What I am worried about is their mother, Lily. Would it be alright to seperate her from, if not all, then some of her litter for approx two hours? Theywould be 3.5-4weeks old by then? Any help would be appreciated :)

Definitely not. They would be traumatised at leaving their Mom and nest area. Even when they are older it's not kind to take them amidst a lot of noisy children. Rabbits are prey animals and get very nervous and frightened easily. Sorry.

no please no.
I have two week old kits and they are not going anywhere the next 6 weeks

take pictures instead

Lily sometimes leaves them for hours on end though, they live in a big hutch in a big garden. They are happy and lille healthy kits who are used to children because we have two children in the house who love them. They wouldnt be taken amidst noisy children the class is a small sensible group of children who would take turns to see and ask questions about the rabbits?

I'd still say no because 1) it'll be really stressful for the babies no matter how quiet the classroom is. It is a strange place and there will be strange people wanting to stare at them, so that will be very stressful. 2) If mum rejects her babies then you are stuck handrearing them, which is stressful for the babies and for you, and it is notoriously difficult to hand rear baby rabbits. Some don't even survive.

So imho, definitely not. Take some pictures and videos instead maybe?

She will leave them alone thats what rabbits do so they don't draw attention to them but she knows there safe in the nest if you remove any they will smell different and won't have the warmth of the nest and there siblings and mum will reject them do you really want to take that chance

When they're a little older you could take them, but I think you've gathered it's not a sensible idea at this point in time.

I think making a video and printing out some photographs is a great idea. :wave:

Lily sometimes leaves them for hours on end though, they live in a big hutch in a big garden. They are happy and lille healthy kits who are used to children because we have two children in the house who love them. They wouldnt be taken amidst noisy children the class is a small sensible group of children who would take turns to see and ask questions about the rabbits?

she leaves them so she doesn't draw attention to them, to keep them safe. if you take them, she will be stressed, the babies will be stressed, and with them being so prone to illness at a young age, it just isn't a good idea. like someone else said, she could reject them after and then you would be hand-rearing them and that's not an easy job. :(

Mother rabbits would usually wall their babies into the nest to protect them for being discovered by predators, then just first once or twice a day to feed them. Obviously she's very used to you and trusts you so doesn't mind you knowing about the nest or touching the babies. Rabbits have very sensitive noses though and removing the babies elsewhere would change their scent which may cause her to reject them. Rabbit's are much more sensitive about this than cats/dogs, if they are disturbed too much, particularly in the first week or so they will sometimes kill the whole litter!

At three week you are probably safe from this but it will still stress her out it's a very sensitive time still and if she rejects them handrearing is very dificult to do successfully, the babies will be more susceptible to illnesses too.

Rabbits are usually rehomed from 8 weeks, so I would aim your visit for then. Perhaps you could take a weekly picture of their progress to show the children and then they can see the babies at the end?

The Rabbit Welfare Association have some information on rabbit care that's broken down quite simply, they may have stuff suitable for the classroom: www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk obviously the last thing you want to do is sent the children home begging for a pet rabbit and the parents not realising the commitment they take!

I wouldn't take them. It will be stressful at a critical stage in their development when they'll be gradually switching from milk to solid food and at risk of developing digestive disorders such as mucoid enteropathy. Young babies are quite delicate, as are their digestive systems.

If ever you do need to transport them then I would keep the litter together and mum as well for reassurance and by keeping the family together, they'll all pick up the same smells rather than the kits returning with a different smell which could upset their mother.

IMO it's a risk just not worth taking. I think photos and videos would be a much better option.

Surely you wouldn't take a three week puppy or kitten from its mother, so why a rabbit? If the teacher doesn't understand your decision then maybe they need educating before the children?

I wouldn't personally take any of my rabbits to school, they'd find it too stressful.

absolutely not. take some video and explain to the children that rabbits do not make good pets because they are not cuddly, don't like to be handled and cost a great deal of money in vets fees!

Definitely not, mum might only feed them once or twice a day but rabbits react very badly to stress and the younger they are the more susceptible to any kind of change, moving them to a strange new environment after (I'm assuming) an incredibly stressful car journey may be very damaging to their health

Back