• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected Spinal problem. UD Post 22

Thank everyone and thanks Liz :)

We've been and gone and got back already.

She definitely has hurt her spine. He could run his fingers over a specific spot (only one specific spot) and she flinched each time. It is where her pelvis meets her spine, and he said its where rabbits typically hurt their backs (having never had a spinal bunny before I didn't know where they wee most likely to do it).

She has also put on weight since Saturday and is now 1.6kg (up form 1.55kg) so even though pellets are a no no apparently grass, hay, dandelion leaves and oats are the way forward.

Also, she has now had a dry backend for at least 24 hours which is great (although she did sit in urine on the way to the vets:roll:). Hopefully that's the baytril working.

In terms of the spine, he said x-rays are not beneficial because it wouldn't change what we did and would not necessarily be best for her when she still needs to gain weight. He said the best thing is Metacam and time. So for now, that's what we shall do.

So a tentatively positive update. (apparently I forgot to finish that sentence first time around :lol:)

Last edited:
Thats reasonably good news for now. Fingers crossed she will improve. It does sound similar to some of the rabbits we have here with spondylosis, which unfortunately is a long term problem. X-rays would show whether this was the case but I fully appreciate that waiting would be the best course of action at the moment :)

You know where we are if you still need us :wave:

Thank you Liz :)

Can you tell me a bit more about how it presents in rabbits on examination? I tried to google it yesterday but didn't come up with much of any use. Also, would it come on instantly or gradually?

Thank you Liz :)

Can you tell me a bit more about how it presents in rabbits on examination? I tried to google it yesterday but didn't come up with much of any use. Also, would it come on instantly or gradually?

With Lola it was exactly as you described with the vet above. That there is a specific area on the spine that is painful to touch. Lola then had x-rays that showed fusing of the vertebrae.

I'm not sure how long it takes to develop but there is obviously going to be a point where it starts to affect them more and therefore become more obvious to the owner :?

Thanks for the update... i'm pleased that you atleast have some idea of what the problem is now, but sorry that it is something spinal afterall :( Poor girl.

If it isn't Spondylosis/Spondylitis and instead is an impact or overextended related injury....then hopefully as your vet says with time and anti-inflammatories it should settle a bit....fingers crossed. I don't know if bun spines are similar but the area you describe does sound like the sacro-iliac region I described in my PM? I wonder if buns have the same? :? Also a common injury site for us humans. If she has prolapsed a disc this again should hopefully improve as it fibroses over and inflammation along the nerves settle. Neuro inflammation does take time to settle down but i'm hoping she will make some sort of recovery, and if it is a chronic inflammatory condition, that she doesn't deteriorate too quickly and again that the NSAID's manage it for her ok.

I think she is very lucky to have found you. Vibes for a dry bottom today :)

Inca is now on Baytril & Metacam, which has helped alot with her toe and I think she had a UTI as she is alot dryer underneath now, so i think the Baytril is good for a UTI too....dont know what will happen when she comes off them both on wednesday!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but...

Kermit...if the problem persists you may want to ask your vet about Propalin, which tightens the sphincter muscle and stops urinary incontinence.

If she's spayed, it may also be worth looking into hormone replacement. Leaking is apparently fairly common in older spayed dogs and is cured by synthetic oestrogen. No research has been done in rabbits afaik, but I've heard a few people say it helped their rabbits

Thanks everyone :) (and abbymarysmokey, hi-jack away)

Liz, I will bear that in mind and mention it to the lady who will take her from me this weekend and we can then look into that if the problem does not improve. Would the treatment still be the same if it was spondylosis?

prettylupin, I have no idea about whether or not buns have it but from what you said it sounds very painful. I hope for her sake she doesn't have that pain and this is an injury that can heal quickly now she is getting the right treatment.

I must confess I laughed out loud about the dry bottom vibes, but yes, we need as many of those as possible.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but...

Kermit...if the problem persists you may want to ask your vet about Propalin, which tightens the sphincter muscle and stops urinary incontinence.

If she's spayed, it may also be worth looking into hormone replacement. Leaking is apparently fairly common in older spayed dogs and is cured by synthetic oestrogen. No research has been done in rabbits afaik, but I've heard a few people say it helped their rabbits
Thanks, shall keep in mind......hopefully when she comes off the baytril tomorrow she will be fine, but handy to know as an option.

Back