• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Survey for fact findimg- part of my treatment UPDATE PLEASE SEE POST 32

My therapist wants me to get other rabbit owners opinions so please can you take the tkme to answer the questions below, thank you!

1. In regards to the combined Nobivac RHD vaccine, the part of the data sheet states that Special precautions for use
Vaccinate only healthy rabbits.*
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.*
What is your take on this?

I think their has been sufficient debate and the benefit of the new vaccine outweighs the risk. I work in medicines regulation and am happy with all the information regarding this.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly lower than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?

Not in the long term no. Once the stasis had resolved I would not expect any long term affect

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live?

Only have outdoor buns but I do not go in their run/shed in my running shoes as I run through areas that are teaming with wild rabbits. I don't worry about everyday shoes though

4. Do you wash your hands when you arrive home after being out before you touch your rabbits?

Only if I have handled other rabbits who's health status was unknown i.e. something like a petting zoo

5. Would you avoid any area that has had VHD?

No

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres?

No

7. When you have been shopping and you have bags of shopping do you still bring the bags in to your house where the bunnies are?

I would, yes

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it?

Yes

9. If you see a mozi or other bitting insect in the house do you make it your mission to get rid of it or do you not worry?

I go on a mission but I have very severe reactions to bites, this isn't to do with the rabbits

10. What measures DO you take to prevent your bunnies getting VHD?

I vaccinate them

Ok thats done for now, I will check my sheet later and add any I have not asked.

Thank you!

Answers in bold

Last edited:
I'm just wondering whether you're actually 100% ready to recover? I don't mean that derogatarily, so bear with me while I explain. The way you see things right now is that VHD poses THE biggest risk to Jimby and Cookie and so you're doing what you can to minimise that risk. You know, in your head, that it is OCD that is driving that, however, do you have a lingering fear that if you start to live without these rituals, that you are putting Jimby and Cookie at risk by doing that?

So like, maybe, is there a tiny part of you that is scared to recover incase you're right? Or in case your bunnies get hurt/ill/sick/die? And maybe, if that is the case, is it that tiny part that might be hindering you from making the progress that you might make if you didn't have that part?

I hope that doesn't sound horrible because it's not meant to, I can just see how and why that might be the case for you. I also agree wih Jane in terms of talking with them and finding out what else you could be doing, where you are with it, what you are doing (or not doing) that has led them to say that. Also, rather than letting it get you down, use that as the kick up the bum you need (if you need one) and use it to show that you have, will and are making improvements. And also, if you feel you are, explain to them what improvements you feel you are making and why the treatment is worthwhile for you.

1. In regards to the combined Nobivac RHD vaccine, the part of the data sheet states that Special precautions for use
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.*
Most of mine have previously been vaccinated with Nobivac Myxo and Lapinject. No vaccine is 100% effective and there are risks in life with everything and I have to accept them.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly lower than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?
Unlikely.

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live?
Yes. If I was in an area of a known and widespread VHD outbreak, I would remove them at the door.

4. Do you wash your hands when you arrive home after being out before you touch your rabbits?
No.

Probably. I would definitely avoid VHD-infected rabbits, rabbitries etc but wouldn't avoid visiting a village where there might have been an isolated VHD report.

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres?
No.

7. When you have been shopping and you have bags of shopping do you still bring the bags in to your house where the bunnies are?
Yes.

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it?
I don't have a handbag but if I did, I wouldn't put it on the floor, not due to VHD risks though but because of what might be on the floor/ground unless it was clear grass or concrete.

9. If you see a mozi or other bitting insect in the house do you make it your mission to get rid of it or do you not worry?
There are always insects flying around. We don't encourage them but wouldn't get into a panic if a few were in the house.

Vaccination.

Ok thats done for now, I will check my sheet later and add any I have not asked.

Thank you!

I'm just wondering whether you're actually 100% ready to recover? I don't mean that derogatarily, so bear with me while I explain. The way you see things right now is that VHD poses THE biggest risk to Jimby and Cookie and so you're doing what you can to minimise that risk. You know, in your head, that it is OCD that is driving that, however, do you have a lingering fear that if you start to live without these rituals, that you are putting Jimby and Cookie at risk by doing that?

So like, maybe, is there a tiny part of you that is scared to recover incase you're right? Or in case your bunnies get hurt/ill/sick/die? And maybe, if that is the case, is it that tiny part that might be hindering you from making the progress that you might make if you didn't have that part?

I hope that doesn't sound horrible because it's not meant to, I can just see how and why that might be the case for you. I also agree wih Jane in terms of talking with them and finding out what else you could be doing, where you are with it, what you are doing (or not doing) that has led them to say that. Also, rather than letting it get you down, use that as the kick up the bum you need (if you need one) and use it to show that you have, will and are making improvements. And also, if you feel you are, explain to them what improvements you feel you are making and why the treatment is worthwhile for you.

I guess what I'm talking about is something that a therapist would call a 'hidden agenda' and it's something that makes the person want to stay where they are, even if it's just a tiny bit, for whatever reason. A full recovery can't be made unless the hidden agenda is identified and beaten.

This is outdated, it's been debunked. Bunnies that have previously been vaccinated with old style vaccines are not any less protected than ones who've only been done with the new combi style.

Scientifically, no.

Mine are just outdoors.

I usually do as my hands feel grubby, but not with the intent that I can't touch them unless I've washed my hands.

If feasible, yes. I'd rather go for a leisurely walk in a place that didn't have VHD than one that did. I've been to places with active VHD for uni when I had to, and I'll drive through places that have VHD if I need to.

Only rabbits. I've never driven over any. I don't worry about it because I take my shoes off at the door (house rule) and wear my wellies out to the bunnies so the risk of cross contamination is extremely low.

Yes. I'll take a bag I've been shopping with out to the bunnies, no problem.

Yep, definitely.

If I see one in the shed where they are I kill it. Same with flies.

Fly net over the run and shed windows in summer. Change their litter tray at least every 2 days in summer. Vaccinate, obviously. I use fly paper too. The risk of bringing it in ourselves is low as we take shoes off at the door, and so the main thing I do is use protection from flies.

:wave:

Answers in blue:

My therapist wants me to get other rabbit owners opinions so please can you take the tkme to answer the questions below, thank you!

This only applies when bunny has had the EUROPEAN myxi vacc, not the British one, and only if bun has not previously been vaccinated with a single vhd vaccine. My rabbits live in the UK and have been vaccinated against VHD before, so there is not need to worry, the vaccine will be protect them completely.

His immune system would probably be dampened a bit at the time, because of the stress and pain of the stasis. So I would not vaccinate at this time, I would wait until they are better, but if they have had the vaccine before this stasis episode then that wouldn't matter, their bodies would have already developed the immunity to vhd and myxo. Once the immunity is there, it is there, and a slightly dampened immune system doesn't change that.

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live? Yes.

4. Do you wash your hands when you arrive home after being out before you touch your rabbits? No

5. Would you avoid any area that has had VHD? No, they are vaccinated so no risk.

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres? No. The heat from the tires would likely burn off any germs. Besides, my rabbits are vaccinated, so no risk.

7. When you have been shopping and you have bags of shopping do you still bring the bags in to your house where the bunnies are? Yes.

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it? Yes, perfectly safe.

9. If you see a mozi or other bitting insect in the house do you make it your mission to get rid of it or do you not worry? I get rid of them because they like to bite me, so if I see one I will kill it, but if it flies off I leave it - we have loads here for some reason, I kill about 5 mozzies/other biting insects a day and I don't get them all. The buns live outside nowadays (used to be housebunnies so I've answered this as if they still are, and Barney does still come inside every evening) and there are loads, but they are fine as they are vaccinated.

10. What measures DO you take to prevent your bunnies getting VHD? I vaccinate them. That is all the prevention they need. The vaccine is 100% effective.
This year and last year, Barney's vaccine was late, because he was not well enough to vaccinate at the time. But the vet explained that, although it starts to dwindle, after 12 months there is still the protection from the vaccine in their systems, just not 100% protection. Barney comes inside in the evenings for a couple of hours for his meds and used to be a house-bunny, but he lives outside at the moment, surrounded by the mozzies I mentioned earlier, and he was 2 months late for his vaccine with a compromised immune system and he still did not get vhd - just goes to show how very effective the vaccine is.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Doesn't really make a lot of sense in my opinion.

I honestly don't think it would but as I've never experienced stasis, I don;t know.

Yes.

No.

No.

No.

Yes I would if they were indoors.

Yes.

I don't worry.

None.

Thank you!

Done, hope it can help.

1. What Tamsin said

2. What Tamsin said.

Yes, more likely to wear them there than in non-rabbit areas which I tried to keep tidier.

No. I'd try and remember to wash hands before preparing food after touching pets, but would sometimes forget.

Only if I had a rabbit that had never been vaccinated I might avoid walking on parkland and non-paved countryside if I'd heard about it, but would assume that roads and pavements were okay.
I wouldn't consider it an issue at all if my pets were vaccinated.

Such a small risk I'd never think about it.

Definitely. Another thing I'd think of as zero risk. I just wouldn't let them sit for long because they'd chew the bags!

Yes. The way I've always seen it, animals come into contact with floors, earth and dirt anyway, and they're fine, so it makes zero difference.

Only would if I had very young unvaccinated rabbits. And even then the chances are it will be okay.

Just vaccination. The chances of its being a problem even after vaccination are so small I wouldn't bother thinking about it.

IMO the concern around VHD sounds like a surface manifestation for deeper issues around attachment, loss and uncertainty generally and also what the pets mean to you. This really needs to be addressed as well as exposure and so forth, which is fine by itself for simpler fears and phobias in people who don't have much else going on.

Only ever vacc'd with the combi but I can't see why it should make a difference, although I have no knowledge on this.

I would've thought this unlikely

Yes

No, unless I would have something toxic on my hands for whatever reason

No

It wouldn't even cross my mind to worry about that

Yes

Yes

I get rid but not because of myxi or vhd, just because I don't like flies

Vaccinate

:wave:

Thank you my bunny friends, keep them coming please :wave:
Tracy and Vita I think you are both right, the loss side of things has ALWAYS been something I address but the therapist wants me to believe that I can cope with loss better than I think because I wouldnt commit suicide (because of Jack) but I know deep in my heart that I would want to, I cant loose Jimby, I just cant

If there's even a small chance of it helping, then I'd rather they had it, then at least I know that if they did get it, I tried everything I could to help them.

Probably not, vets do this kind of thing every day, we have to trust them, they know better than we do.

My rabbits come in the house every night, but we don't wear shoes in the house anyway. Ruins carpets! I don't wear outdoor shoes in their shed though, I have seperate crocs / shoes for the garden (cos I don't wanna ruin my good shoes in the muddy garden).

I wash my hands when I get home from anywhere, anyway.

No, there's probably alot of places that has VHD and if you avoid places because of one thing, you'll start avoiding everywhere for some reason.

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres?#

No.

Yep. They help unpack sometimes.

Yep, they chew my bag :evil:

Don't worry, it'll leave anyway.

Vaccination!

Major adjustment

Jimbys liver function was slightly ELEVATED not lower. Can everyone answer mu 2nd question again, based on this new information.

I would trust the vet on this as per my original answer, if the vet wasn't worried about it then I wouldn't be :thumb:

I did a lot of reading at the time and found that the second statement doesn't apply in the UK. The reason is that the old vaccine used a virus that wasn't myxo, but of a similar strain so resulted in antibodies that would work for both. Rabbits in Europe or rabbits who have caught myxi from wildies, already have antibodies for myxi. The new vaccine relies on the autoimmune response of the rabbit to respond to the myxo virus, as I believe the VHD virus is latched onto it somehow. So in some rabbits they may not develop the relevant antibodies. However, it is a maybe, and my rabbits haven't had myxo naturally or had a European injection. With regards to the first statement, it's just a case of not making an already run down bun even more ill, as the injection may be too much for them to fight if they have a lot to deal with at the time.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly elevated than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?

I would trust the vet. I've had lots of elevated results for various tests, or ones too low, but they have normalised after being ill, or just over time. Bloods may have been taken whilst his liver was in a more 'active' state.

My buns are indoors, Bilbo and Cloud live in the room attached to the front door, so yes.

Not unless I've been in contact with other animals whose smell may upset them, or other rabbits that are unvaccinated.

I would probably avoid wildie areas if I knew of a VHD outbreak, just in case.

No

Yes, the boys have occasionally stole from shopping bags.

I wouldn't think twice about it, again the boys have basically eaten one of my handbags which I take everywhere and put anywhere.

I usually try to get rid of them, but mostly because bites irritate my skin.

Yearly vaccination, if I brought in an unvaccinated rabbit they would be quarantined elsewhere in case. Otherwise I don't think about it beyond general health checks on the buns.

Thank you!

Hope that helps xxx

Snap. If my vet wasnt worried, I wouldnt be either. I once had raised liver enzymes after having a blood test. My gp wasnt worried about me either. :)

that's a mite worrying. why use that vaccine, in that case? but i'm dopey in this sort of matter.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly elevated than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?

out of my range of experience. i think there must have been instructions for this questionnaire that i didn't read, sorry!

yes

never

yes, if i knew. if i visited someone in a known vhd area, i might then choose to wipe down my shoes and wash my hands before dealing with my own rabbits. but usually i just get on with life.

don't have a car, but in theory, not a bit.

yes, particularly the bag with the bunny veg in it.

definitely

i have fly traps and sprays and someone said citronella so i use a little of that

none whatsoever. except that they don't go outside - but that's to avoid the staffie next door, who is a more real and present danger to my poor bunnies.

i don't wash rabbit veg. that's the most likely place mine would get infection from. they are, all four, seven and a half years old and they've done well for health so far.

hope this helps! i felt as if i was being very awkward when i kept answering in the negative.

Back