• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surprise babies - Help!

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I do admit to struggling with how uninformed and unprepared you appeared to be, as I personally would have been reading up on the subject relentlessly, been fully prepared for when they arrived, and known exactly what I was doing or at least had a pretty good idea. But then that's just me.

I must admit to being extremely happy to read this morning how well everyone is doing, and really hope that this continues. It must be so lovely having all these baby bunnies about and on the way, but unfortunately for myself, I would not have the funds for all the neutering and vaccinations, which I guess is going to be well over a £1000 in total :shock::shock:

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I do admit to struggling with how uninformed and unprepared you appeared to be, as I personally would have been reading up on the subject relentlessly, been fully prepared for when they arrived, and known exactly what I was doing or at least had a pretty good idea. But then that's just me.

I must admit to being extremely happy to read this morning how well everyone is doing, and really hope that this continues. It must be so lovely having all these baby bunnies about and on the way, but unfortunately for myself, I would not have the funds for all the neutering and vaccinations, which I guess is going to be well over a £1000 in total :shock::shock:

just so you know my comment wasnt aimed at you or anyone in particular :wave:

No I dont plan to breed her for a profit/hobby but yes I wanted her to have 1 litter if i was going to get her 'done'.

No dont worry bout the comments, I know i should have read up more on this before and kicking myself as I could of separated them quicker and got things more organised so she wouldn't have had them on hot concrete but her bed part. But was surprised and honestly i would have still panicked.

Thankfully i wont be covering all the cost to have them both treated, the male was my mums/sister but they couldn't have him anymore and agreed to pay for him to be done if i took him. So Im just paying out for her treatment and then of course him/her/babies other treatments and injections, which i dont mind as they are mine. If the babies survive and when ready then I will come to look for good homes.

Question - Would I be able to keep parents and babies together, obv after treatment and ect? As winter they go into their winter shed as i worry bout the crappy English weather and my partner wont let me keep them indoors (apart from now with the babies)

When they're all neutered there's no reason they won't all be happy together. There is loads of information on bonding on this forum. :)

No I dont plan to breed her for a profit/hobby but yes I wanted her to have 1 litter if i was going to get her 'done'.

No dont worry bout the comments, I know i should have read up more on this before and kicking myself as I could of separated them quicker and got things more organised so she wouldn't have had them on hot concrete but her bed part. But was surprised and honestly i would have still panicked.

Thankfully i wont be covering all the cost to have them both treated, the male was my mums/sister but they couldn't have him anymore and agreed to pay for him to be done if i took him. So Im just paying out for her treatment and then of course him/her/babies other treatments and injections, which i dont mind as they are mine. If the babies survive and when ready then I will come to look for good homes.

Question - Would I be able to keep parents and babies together, obv after treatment and ect? As winter they go into their winter shed as i worry bout the crappy English weather and my partner wont let me keep them indoors (apart from now with the babies)

They should stay with her for at least eight weeks (provided mother has lots of space to move away from them - in the wild she would leave them in the nest and only return to feed, she could become stressed if she is forced to be near them 24/7) but they can become fertile as young as 12 weeks, so really need to be separated into males and females in that time frame. They need to be far enough away that there is no chance of inbreeding, there have been cases of conception even when separated by bars. Also be vigilant against fighting, if you still have them in a few months time (or if you sell to someone who takes more than one) the hormones will start to kick in and they can do serious damage to each other, in which case they need to be separated and neutered/spayed ASAP (which should obviously be done anyway). Worst case scenario you're looking at six individual setups :shock: But once they're all fixed there's no reason they can't all live very happily together.

Back