• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sudden personality change, urgent help needed!!!

Hi, we're new!

My gorgeous baby bunny rabbit Coco (well, she's nearly 10 months old now but will also be my baby!), has had a complete change in personality over the past two months and i'm very concerned.

A once very loving and affectionate bunny, litter trained (except a few accidents - always inside her pen though), and never naughty (except chewing leather, always loved to do that i discovered from when she ate a pair of my favourite shoes, my fault though as i did leave them out!). She also used to sleep through the night, as her pen is in my bedroom, and be active during the day - so had the same sleep pattern as humans!

Now she is refusing to be litter trained, weeing just outside her pen as if trying to prove some sort of point!
She has begun eating wallpaper and the plaster off the walls, the remote control tv buttons, towels and bedding!! (my favourite duvet cover now ruined and full of holes).
She also won't come and sit on my lap anymore, and runs away more often than not when stroked.
And has also developed a pattern of nipping toes when we're sat at the table for dinner.
She's now awake during most of the night now too, and sleeping during the day.

She was spayed 3 months ago, when she was 6 months old.
I'm concerned that the spay has made her worse, as she started doing this about a month afterwards.
However, other points to add is that my mum and step dad split up, and we have moved house recently (3 weeks ago).
However, Coco started displaying these signs when we were all living together.
They were arguing a lot though when we all lived together.
So, does anyone think this behaviour could be related to the move and the arguing prior to that?

Also to note, inside her pen she has chew sticks a grassy hay house, and her litter tray and water bottle.
She is allowed free roam of the lounge, kitchen and my bedroom, and she has a pen with litter tray in both my bedroom and the lounge, so she knows she has allocated areas where she can go to feel safe.

Toys wise, she has a large tunnel she can run in, and i feed her regular hay and greens, with a handful of nuggets both morning and night.

Could it be that is getting more hungry as she gets older too?

When she is naughty I tell her "no" and she stops, but then will stare at me until i am no longer looking at her and returns to the chewing behaviour. I have put cardboard and carpet preventatives where she likes to chew, but she is very clever and sneaky and headbutts them until they fall over.

If anyone knows anything that could help, me and Coco would be very grateful as I feel that we're starting to lose our bond because of this :(

To be honest she is displaying totally normal adult Doe behaviour. The weeing just outside her cage is her 'making a point'. That point being 'this is the boundary to MY space'

Chewing is what Rabbits do. Some much more so than others, but it is a very normal behaviour.

Many, many adult Rabbits prefer to have contact with humans on THEIR terms. The toe nipping is an attempt to say 'Oi, I want attention now that you are doing something (eating!!) Or, 'Move your foot it's in my way'.

It sounds as though Coco may benefit from having a Rabbit friend. I dont know if this would be a possibility. Rabbits are very sociable animals and usually do better with a companion of their own kind. But obviously not everyone may be able to take on another Rabbit.

Does she go outside at all ?

To be honest she is displaying totally normal adult Doe behaviour. The weeing just outside her cage is her 'making a point'. That point being 'this is the boundary to MY space'

Chewing is what Rabbits do. Some much more so than others, but it is a very normal behaviour.

Many, many adult Rabbits prefer to have contact with humans on THEIR terms. The toe nipping is an attempt to say 'Oi, I want attention now that you are doing something (eating!!) Or, 'Move your foot it's in my way'.

It sounds as though Coco may benefit from having a Rabbit friend. I dont know if this would be a possibility. Rabbits are very sociable animals and usually do better with a companion of their own kind. But obviously not everyone may be able to take on another Rabbit.

Does she go outside at all ?

Thanks for the quick reply and the reassurance that she is being normal!

Unfortunately I don't think it could really manage with another rabbit, especially after Coco has started acted up. To be honest though, I feel like she prefers being alone, she had a brother and a sister and never used to associate with them and acted like a diva when she used to live with them - maybe this explains her behaviour now regarding the nipping for attention?

She doesn't go outside as I'm concerned about our garden not being very well rabbit proofed as the fencing is quite insufficient, but I was considering buying a rabbit lead for her and talking her for walks around the garden, bit of a bonding thing too. What do you think?

I've situated the pen in my room so she gets a really good stream of sunlight and she enjoys sunbathing in it daily (there is also an area of her pen that is constantly shaded too though for when she needs a nap!)

The main thing is though that i forgot to mention is that she seems quite anxious and on edge.

I'm a brand new addition to this forum so perhaps shouldn't comment :oops:
I just wanted to say that it all sounds pretty normal to me though. My two boys are little devils :evil: for chewing and digging, we have holes in carpets and nibbles out of skirting boards :oops: which is why they are only allowed 'supervised' outings in the house, if I can't supervise them then they have to be in their pen to keep them safe. Rabbits are nocturnal too, so it is normal for her to be up at night :)
Sounds like she needs lots of toys to keep her mind occupied and away from things she shouldn't be doing ;)

I'm a brand new addition to this forum so perhaps shouldn't comment :oops:
I just wanted to say that it all sounds pretty normal to me though. My two boys are little devils :evil: for chewing and digging, we have holes in carpets and nibbles out of skirting boards :oops: which is why they are only allowed 'supervised' outings in the house, if I can't supervise them then they have to be in their pen to keep them safe. Rabbits are nocturnal too, so it is normal for her to be up at night :)
Sounds like she needs lots of toys to keep her mind occupied and away from things she shouldn't be doing ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your carpets!
Thanks for the advice, i think i'll get some toys for her as i've been reading a few other things too and i think this might help :)

She has had a lot of changes lately. How long since she was with her brother and sister ?

Do you actually move her from room to room or can she come and go as she pleases ?

Does she have a digging box, a box filled with shredded paper may interest her and enable her to display natural digging behaviour

Feeding her pellets in a treat ball would also occupy her mind, rather than her simply being able to eat them from a bowl. Hiding veg treats for her to search out would also give her more to do.

Few Rabbits are 'lap Bunnies' and once a Baby Bunny grows up they often dont want cuddles from us. They much prefer to be able to do 'Rabbity' things.

This book may be of interest to you:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/

As has been said these are all normal behavious for a bun, but they can get worse when the bun is bored, frustrated in some way, or lonely.

A bonded partner would be ideal really, but I understand the reasons youve given to not get another. I do think that a friend could possibly calm her behaviour down though, si bare that in mind.

What size is the space that she has? :wave:

She has had a lot of changes lately. How long since she was with her brother and sister ?

Do you actually move her from room to room or can she come and go as she pleases ?

Does she have a digging box, a box filled with shredded paper may interest her and enable her to display natural digging behaviour

Feeding her pellets in a treat ball would also occupy her mind, rather than her simply being able to eat them from a bowl. Hiding veg treats for her to search out would also give her more to do.

Few Rabbits are 'lap Bunnies' and once a Baby Bunny grows up they often dont want cuddles from us. They much prefer to be able to do 'Rabbity' things.

This book may be of interest to you:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/

Yes i think it might be a reaction to all the stress that has been in the household.
She left her brother an sister when she was nearly 2 months old, and that was last November so it has been quite a while.

She can come and go as she pleases from my bedroom/hallway/lounge/kicthen (i keep certain doors permanently closed so she does have limits!)
but today i have kept her in her pen, although i was in the same room, as she had done a lot of naughty chewing and damage and this was hopefully a way of her realising she had done something wrong. i'm going to open the pen up now and spend some time with her, see how she is.

Thank you for all of those ideas, no she doesn't have a dig box but i'm going to make one for her now.
Do you have any suggestions about where I could buy the treat ball you have mentioned?

And i'll look into the book too.
Thanks so much you have reassured me greatly and i'm going to do everything you have suggested!

As has been said these are all normal behavious for a bun, but they can get worse when the bun is bored, frustrated in some way, or lonely.

A bonded partner would be ideal really, but I understand the reasons youve given to not get another. I do think that a friend could possibly calm her behaviour down though, si bare that in mind.

What size is the space that she has? :wave:

Hi thanks for replying, yes i think she might be bored after reading all of the suggestions!
I would love her to have a friend too but i am concerned she would be a bit possessive of her space and i wouldn't want a new bunny to be put out by this as i don't have room for another bunny to live seperately (would love an entire house just for bunnies, one day!!). I will bear it in mind though thank you :)

Her pen is just over 1m square, and high too (which she loves as she can stretch right onto her tip toes to reach the top, and also can jump out of it!) but has a detachable roof which i use for safety when i'm not around to keep watch. The roof is a bendy mesh material so even if she attempts to jump out, which she does, she can't hurt her little head!

How many hours does she spend in her pen on average?

On a day when i'm in the house (endless free time to play with Coco since finishing university!) she'll only be confined to her pen whilst i'm asleep, so 8 hours.

If i'm out during the day, on those days it'll be 8 sleep hours plus no more than another 5.

So she is usually only confined to her pen for 8 hours a day, and at a rare maximum of 13.

On a day when i'm in the house (endless free time to play with Coco since finishing university!) she'll only be confined to her pen whilst i'm asleep, so 8 hours.

If i'm out during the day, on those days it'll be 8 sleep hours plus no more than another 5.

So she is usually only confined to her pen for 8 hours a day, and at a rare maximum of 13.

Unfortunately thats still quite alot of time to spend in a small spacw. Is there any way you could bunny proof a whole room for her so that she never has to be locked in her pen? I do that with mine and it works quite well :) You'd need to hide all wires and pen off anything you dont want her to get to, but its pretty easily done :wave:

That is a very small space for her to spend so many hours. If you have a look, there are some really good indoor set-ups illustrated on here.

I used to have my bun in almost the exact same way you are keeping yours. He HATED being confined, became aggressive, destructive, bar bit etc even when he was out of his cage. I now can't confine him at all, he free ranged in my bedroom and still destroys anything destroyable lol. I got him a friend and he calmed down a lot but he had developed the habit of bar biting and nothing I do will ever break him of it. The only thing I can do is keep all kinds of bars/mesh away from him and I've even had to ban him from his cage! He was very territorial and I was worried about him being bonded to another bunny but as soon as I introduced him to Ellie, he humped her a few times and flopped next to her...and that was that :lol: Until I saw him bonded I never realised how unhappy he was. Unfortunately I lost Ellie and I nearly lost Fiver because he grieved for her so badly, which proved that he loved her so much. Funny thing was that he never detached himself from me, he is still my baby and follows me about like a dog. He has a new wife now and is happy once again :)

I think you should seriously think about keeping a your bun on her own. Can you give her everything she needs? I honestly thought I could give Fiver everything he needed and I was in 24/7 but as it turned out I wasn't enough, even with endless toys and things to destroy and run of the living room during the day.

I know you said you don't think it's a good idea to get a friend for her and I understand your reasons, but I honestly think a friend would make her much, much happier.

My rabbit had her personality change at about 5 months old - it's called adolescence :lol: She sounds exactly like your rabbit, loving, easy to have around and well behaved then suddenly they seem to get a feel for their own independence and it all changes and they become stroppy, moody, assertive little balls of fur. What you're describing sounds completely normal for an adult rabbit. Both my rabbits are adult and everything has to be on their terms. They will only do what they want, when they want.

One of my rabbits is a 'digger' the other is a 'chewer' and between them they can cause quite a bit of destruction to our house if not supervised. I've noticed that Shimmer (the 'chewer') will chew almost obsessively is she's upset. If her friend Charlie refuses to groom her after she's asked several times she becomes visibly upset and the chewing will start.

I think if the chewing is obsessive it could either be hormonal or frustration/anxiety. As you've had her spayed it's likely one of the other two reasons. Loneliness could be the cause, or frustration from being confined or not getting attention when SHE wants it.

Basically it's normal for a rabbit to chew/dig but if it's literally non-stop then I'd expect the rabbit was emotionally upset about something.

Hope things work out for you. xx :)

I do agree with everything that has been said so far, however as this behaviour started after spaying, I also wonder whether it is worth popping her back to the vet for a check over as a sudden change of behaviour like this could also be an indication of pain. It is possible that adhesions or post-surgical infection can develop and these can cause changes in behaviour if the bunny is in pain and is finding other things to do as a way of dealing with it. So as a first port of call I would go for a vet visit and ask them to check thoroughly that there aren't any signs of tenderness, lumps or infections following the spay.

Regardless of the outcome of the vet visit, I do still agree with the other comments made above about space, stimulation and ideally companionship.

Back