• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Student Veterinary Nurse - survey, preventative parasite treatments

Apparently diatomaceous earth kills parasites in all animals. There was a case where somebodies dog had coccidia and the owner mixed diatomaceous earth in with its food each day and after 10 days all traces of the parasite had gone. I know that Coccida is species specific it may work in rabbits too to treat all kinds of parasite.

I also tried to fill out out but gave up.

Last edited:
Sorry - I tried to complete the questionaire but gave up. Apart from problems with the design of the survey which made it difficult to complete, I have issues with pushing preventative parasitic treatment for rabbits (eg routine monthly Rearguard for flystrike, when dietary management and general hygiene are more effective at prevention in most cases. Rabbits don't normally get fleas, so regular flea treatments are not required). A lot of rabbit parasites are better managed by good housekeeping and proper diet, etc, rather than by 'preventative' medication, so, in my opinion, the emphasis should be on better education on rabbit care rather than pushing medication, some of which can have adverse effects in this species.

Sorry - I tried to complete the questionaire but gave up. Apart from problems with the design of the survey which made it difficult to complete, I have issues with pushing preventative parasitic treatment for rabbits (eg routine monthly Rearguard for flystrike, when dietary management and general hygiene are more effective at prevention in most cases. Rabbits don't normally get fleas, so regular flea treatments are not required). A lot of rabbit parasites are better managed by good housekeeping and proper diet, etc, rather than by 'preventative' medication, so, in my opinion, the emphasis should be on better education on rabbit care rather than pushing medication, some of which can have adverse effects in this species.
I agree completely.

But I did complete it, hope my answers help! :)

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hello, thanks for your feedback however I will just make a point in saying that at no point in my survey does it 'push' or encourage preventative parasite treatment in rabbits. Being a student veterinary nurse I am aware of the current recommendations and would not advocate for something that is against recommendations. If you read the first page with the information on my survey it states that I am trying to investigate the level of knowledge of owners and seeing if owners can suggest if and how they feel they need additional support in this area. Essentially, I'm aiming to help rabbit owners as some people may not have knowledge surrounding this which could be due to lack of education from veterinary professionals, which is a huge part of our job. Furthermore, the survey has a question of whether owners treat their other companion animals preventatively as I know this is a recommendation to protect rabbits rather than directly treating rabbits.

For future reference please try to be more helpful for students who are completing their dissertations as it is actually quite difficult getting compliance, especially when people don't read the information page properly and then make assumptions.

Thanks.

Hello, thanks for your feedback however I will just make a point in saying that at no point in my survey does it 'push' or encourage preventative parasite treatment in rabbits. Being a student veterinary nurse I am aware of the current recommendations and would not advocate for something that is against recommendations. If you read the first page with the information on my survey it states that I am trying to investigate the level of knowledge of owners and seeing if owners can suggest if and how they feel they need additional support in this area. Essentially, I'm aiming to help rabbit owners as some people may not have knowledge surrounding this which could be due to lack of education from veterinary professionals, which is a huge part of our job. Furthermore, the survey has a question of whether owners treat their other companion animals preventatively as I know this is a recommendation to protect rabbits rather than directly treating rabbits.

For future reference please try to be more helpful for students who are completing their dissertations as it is actually quite difficult getting compliance, especially when people don't read the information page properly and then make assumptions.

Thanks.

I agree with this also. I wanted to finish the questionnaire but could not answer one of the questions. I have kept Rabbits for over 20 years.

Hi Emma,
I hope you're managing to get the responses you need on this & best of luck with your ongoing studies; it's a very rewarding profession.

Would it be more helpful if members gave details about particular issues with completing the questionnaire rather than just grumbling about it? I'm guessing it's too late to amend the survey itself, but it's perhaps something you can add in to your dissertation when you're discussing the results?

I'm also assuming that people answering to the best of their ability is going to help you, even if there is a question or 2 that can't be answere

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Hi Emma,
I hope you're managing to get the responses you need on this & best of luck with your ongoing studies; it's a very rewarding profession.

Would it be more helpful if members gave details about particular issues with completing the questionnaire rather than just grumbling about it? I'm guessing it's too late to amend the survey itself, but it's perhaps something you can add in to your dissertation when you're discussing the results?

I'm also assuming that people answering to the best of their ability is going to help you, even if there is a question or 2 that can't be answere

The survey won't let you move on if you don't / can't answer a question.

If Emma wants to contact me privately, I will gladly go through the issues I found. It's not appropriate to list them here. It's also disappointing when participants make an effort to help and can't complete the task due to some basic issues that should have been ironed out before it went public. It will also affect the validity of the actual results obtained from the survey.

Last edited:
It will also affect the validity of the actual results obtained from the survey.

That's why I suggested it might be helpful for Emma to know. I'm just commenting generally, tbh; I haven't completed the survey myself as I don't own a rabbit at present. But people might be thinking Emma's reply here is a bit 'off' without considering really that Emma hasn't had any positive or constructive feedback really, just criticism from us.

There has been no specific criticism, except that we were unable to complete the survey - which ought to be a fair and honest response. Surely it's up to Emma to chase up anything she needs further details on, not for us to do it in public. As I said, I am willing to go through it with her in a private communication if she contacts me.

Surely it's up to Emma to chase up anything she needs further details on, not for us to do it in public.

I started out by asking Emma if feedback would help. I never said members here needed to do it off their own backs but just suggested it as an option for Emma to still get some usable data from the survey.

Of course honest criticism is fine; it's just easier to receive if there's a little something positive in there too.

We're at risk of going round in circles though, so let's leave this here & Emma can post if there's anything needed.

Back