• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stuck rabbit?

amyp

Young Bun
I have two male rabbits that run freely around the garden all day. Since lunchtime there has been no sign of one of them; although we have looked everywhere for him. The only place I can think of is the drain; we have several long plastic pipes for drainage with an opening he could at least get his head and most of his body into. Would a rabbit be able to wriggle out backwards if he felt himself getting stuck? They would never voluntarily jump into water deep enough to drown them, would they? Any thoughts?

Rabbits can get stuck and they do do stupid things like jump into unsafe places. I think you really need ro get hunting, outside your property, as well as inside.

Is there any fur lying around? It could be that he's been taken by a cat, fox or bird of prey. There's also a possibility that he's been stolen.

Buns can jump a good 3 foot, and squeeze through the tiniest gap, so they could have escaped or become lodged somewhere. I'd take your drain apart (if poss) just in case. Alert your neighbours and ask them to join in the search too, as he may be in somebody elses garden.

Unfortunately not. Have searched outside and all around the garden, we are sure he (Eric) is too big to squeeze under the gate- the other rabbit is smaller and he can't. We have hawks that swoop over the garden but the rabbits are too big and heavy to be picked up by one of them, I'm sure they would have tried by now anyway. No other predators can get into the garden- it is high walled with a low solid metal gate. Am really hoping he's not stuck in the drain- it is set into concrete. :(

Have you tried calling out to him or leaving his favourite food out for him, or tapping gently on the pipes a) to see if you can hear any movement when you do so and b) to see if there are any bits that dont sound hollow? Only gently though as you dont want to startle a rabbit that is already likely to be highly distressed.

Can you shine a torch down the drain or into the pipes? Pipes usually come apart in sections dont they, can you do that?

Really hoping you find him :(:(

So sorry to hear about your rabbit :( I hope he turns up safe. Hawks could definitely manage to pick up a rabbit and a fox for sure could. What i would do is get a secure run for your other rabbit but i really hope your rabbit has just got stuck :( x

oh no! Id def. shine a torch down the drains to see if I could find him....or call the RSPCA tomorrow to ask them to come & help you - the drain guys usally have a camera on a stick the put down pipes etc...they would be able to see if he was down there....

Do hope you find him...:(

oh no :cry:
Have you tried rattling pellets? Looked behind everything - as someone else said they can get into such small gaps. Oreo squeezed under a 1inch gap under our gate once - they push themselves flat...

I really hope you find him x

Thanks so much for all the offers to come and help search but actually we live in Uganda! Unfortunately no news on Eric. We have searched all the areas nearby and spoken to all the neighbours but no luck. We are not sure if he went down the drain or squeezed under the gate, although this is more likely. We have no immediate neighbours with dogs or cats but I suppose it depends how far he went. Not giving up hope yet but we are accepting it is increasingly unlikely he will return. :(

A funny thing happened today though. We have builders working outside and today after hearing about our missing rabbit the foreman brought us a huge white female, either heavily pregnant or extremely fat! Would love to take her but have no room to put her, also although I would like our remaining rabbit Topsy to have a companion, he is an unneutered male!(they don't neuter rabbits here). I don't want tons of babies! So today she is in our garden (Topsy is in his hutch while we build a new, secure run) and going back with the foreman tonight. Such a shame Topsy has to be fenced in now, he and his brother looked so sweet running about together. But I do feel very neglectful and sorry about Eric. Has anyone heard of any instances where runaways eventually come back?

Back