• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray bunny Dilemma

wildchild91

Young Bun
I have somehow acquired a bunny that my friend found as a stray by the roadside.

From what I've seen, I'd bet money that this boy is a much loved house rabbit who has escaped and left someone with a gigantic hole in their life. He's a fabulous boy, the most people sociable bunny I've ever met - actively seeks you out for fuss and nose rubs etc...HOWEVER

this boy isn't neutered or microchipped and I have no way of finding who this boy belongs to...I've made my friend go put up found posters where she found him, shes notified a local vets, I've posted him on national missing pet registry, posted his photo to a couple of local rescues and also registered with the police that I have him...I cant think of anything else to do?

I cant keep this boy forever, i really wish i could, but this boy wants/needs to be a housebunny and its just a lifestyle i cannot offer him perminantly. I put him with my outdoor bunnies temporarily but he's driven my neutered male into an utter rage (Just to clarify he was sharing their garage space, not their actual enclosure) and I've had to bring him back inside...Basically I don't know what to do next...the police have advised that i have to keep him for 28days before rehoming/claiming him, however how can someone legally claim ownership without him being microchipped?

I'm hoping to procure a neutering voucher for him as I cant morally rehome him without him being neutered...but I'm utterly torn as whether to seek the help of already overstretched rescues, or whether to try and rehome him myself and just follow rescue protocols i.e home checks, adoption fees...? anyone been in a similar situation? anyone want a house bunny? (lol)

can anyone think of any other ideas for tracing an owner? I'd love to see him reunited...but then again, it runs the risk of being someone who may not be a 'responsible bunny owner' and I'l be traumatised!

I would ring around rescues. The owner may have been calling around to see if he's been handed to any of them.

I would ring the rspca too, even if they don't have rabbits at your local branch the owner might have called them to leave details.

thanks guys, I've informed rspca, posted on a few pages on facebook, WYAIN, Camp Nibble...I'm not sure of any other local rescues though?

Back