• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange posture/movement

DemiS

Warren Veteran
In June I noticed Cookie was sitting very strangely and moving around in a slow, awkward way. This lasted for a few days then he went back to normal. Then a few days ago it started up again, I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures how strangely he is arching his back.

245496046_273233158040123_3611167979974069694_n.jpg

246189533_1943941245785967_4859847317802396519_n.jpg

He will not hop onto his hideyholes as often as he usually does and he seems to struggle a bit getting through the cat flap between his shed and run as its a few inches above the ground. He is still capable of running and stretching up (though tries to avoid it and generally moves slower unless something scares him or food is involved). The vet had him in all sorts of positions really thoroughly examining all his joints, skin etc and she can't find any swellings, injuries or even any areas that seem to be causing him pain, he didn't react to any of the pulling or prodding. She has asked me to give him painkillers for a week then stop, and if he is still the same then they want xrays but I just wondered if anyone had experience of this? He still has a very big appetite and luckily is very happy to take his metacam when i mash it up with some banana :lol: He seems to be a bit better since starting the painkillers but still not 100%

ETA: He's 5 years old, fully vaccinated and his poops look absolutely fine. He lives with two other rabbits (one is his brother so the exact same age) and they are absolutely fine

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah, it is an odd position. I'd think something spinal, neurological-nerve-y, possibly pelvic but if you've had investigations then that's the best they can do i expect without anything more in-depth (xrays etc.)! He may not react to anything if he's scared at the vets perhaps, I expect that's a thing too. Sorry i can't be more help!

I'm wondering the answer to this too. When my rabbit was a baby, he had a few seconds of contraction like in the first picture. He stopped this behavior when he got grewing up. Now he is sitting often as in the second picture and the vet said that there was nothing in the x-ray + examination, she says he is very healthy.

How's is his peeing? Did they try and express urine for a sample?

His posture looks a little like Rodney's when he had bladder sludge and struggled with weeing. Although it was only in the loo.

Could he have a returning uti possibly?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

How's is his peeing? Did they try and express urine for a sample?

His posture looks a little like Rodney's when he had bladder sludge and struggled with weeing. Although it was only in the loo.

Could he have a returning uti possibly?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Really? Cookie recently had cystitis, could this position be related to this? (I'm asking regardless of the person who started the topic)

Looks like a vertebral disc problem. I would want to proceed with Xrays.

Jane, could my Cookie have the same issue? Could my position be due to this? My Cookie looks like in the second picture, do you think it could be the same as Demis's rabbit?

This is the position mine adopt when they pee, but only when they pee, not at any other time. My first thought would be something bladder related, I hope you can get to the bottom of it!

Thanks everyone! I hadnt really considered a urinary problem because when his brother had an infection he didn't sit like this at all, and to be honest when mine pee they don't have this posture either, they're more rounded with tails held high. The vet never mentioned it either. Somebunny has been weeing dark orange wee outside of their litter tray but I assumed it was just cookie not wanting to jump into the tray and I know rabbits can naturally have dark wee depending on their diet. It doesn't look chalky/sludgy but its definitely something for me to ask the vet about, ill try get a sample out of him before our next appointment. He's booked in for an xray next week, £300 (not sure if that's a normal price?)

He's booked in for an xray next week, £300 (not sure if that's a normal price?)
Lopsy's was about that, but my vets aren't the cheapest! Nor the most expensive judging by the range of prices quoted on here for stuff. I was also warned he'd had ketamine as the anaesthetic but he tolerated it really well and recovered fine and quickly (for an 8.5yo). Good luck finding something easily treatable/nothing to worry about :D

Back