• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still issues to who is the dominant bunny!

bonjovikitten

Young Bun
Morning
Bennie and Blackjack, both boys have been together for 8 days now and I have started to let them have more space in the run. When upstairs in the hutch they do groom each other but in the run Bennie chases and pulls fur out of Black Jack :( I have watched them for hours during the day (my housework is suffering hehe) and have noticed that they bow the heads down together and neither bunny will relent to groom first. This is when Bennie gets cross and chases and pulls fur, I can see the frustration in his face bless him. Do you think they will sort this issue out? Any ideas to try, have heard about the vanilla on the nose and banana to put on their heads, is this worth a go?

Thanks
Claire x

I'm not sure sorry, hopefully some one more knowledgeable will come along soon. I presume they have been neutered for at least 6 weeks and this is neutral territory? I did put a little bit of mushed apple and banana on my buns heads to encourage grooming when bonding as they weren't really interested in interacting with eachother at first.

I personally wouldn't put anything on the heads because it can disrupt the heirarchy and lead to more issues.

If they chase in a larger space then I would keep them confined to a smaller space for a logner amount of time, but not necessarily as small as whatever they have been living in, just smaller than the run.

How big is the run they are in?

Hi
Both buns have been neutered, Bennie 2 years, and BJ a good few months (he is my new rescue bun). The hutch is bennies and his beloved Lucie before she passed. I have given it a good clean, maybe i should do another with vinegar? They have all new litter trays and they have each claimed one as theirs.

The run is 6 by 4, with another attached 7 by 3, I have closed the lawn run off for the time being (see my housing thread for photos). I did let them free range for an hour or so this morning and they were binkying and looking for each other when they couldnt see one another, I have a big garden :).

New bun black jack is very affectionate to me, I have been licked and he hopped onto my lap today, yes I had treats but even so he has only been with us for a week and I have worked most of the week and haven't spent much time with them apart from today... Is it a bit of jealousy even though Bennie isn't a cuddle bun but I have made an effort to fuss and talk to him equally as BJ.

Thank you
Claire x

Back