• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sticky poos stuck to fur

It's not always good to cut down pellets for ill buns- in fact I'd definately speak to a vet about what you should be feeding her.

I agree the bun should get a vet check but the amount of food the bun is getting is very excessive. I would never recommend feeding hay only as I believe buns need the vitamins in the pellets and its harder to monitor how much they are eating with hay.

I would definately cut down the pellets and cut out the museli completely.

if you decide to make any changes to her dried food then it needs to be done gradually -over a few weeks.

However if it was my bun I would suspect the Bird seed and try to stop her eating that first- put the bird seed high up or hang it up in a fat ball for them.
Bird seed is not meant for bunnies and I am highly suspicious that this may be causing her problems.

If after stopping her eating the birdfood for a week or so she still has a messy bottom then get her weight checked at the vet( sometimes you can do this free with a vet nurse or yourself if scales available).

If she is overweight as you suspect then very gradually change her pellets to something like Science Select.

Offer lots of hay ( in addition to her dried food)and keep an eye out for if she's nibbling any plants in the garden that could cause upset tum- like buttercups etc.

if she shows signs of ill health its a definite vet trip though.
sue:wave:

Topsy used to have sticky bum. Used to have to bathe her all the time. Summer was a nightmare. I used to keep the bowl topped up so it never went empty which is what some rabbit books advise :( We saw several vets and they never knew what was the problem until the lady at the sanctuary where she was holiday boarding told me only to feed her a handful of pellets each day and give unlimited hay. I did, and it made things much better. It didn't magically get better straight away but we persevered and it certainly made a huge difference. We still got sticky poos but only occasionally. It took a little while, but she also lost weight, and I think part of the problem might have been that while she was larger, she might not have been able to eat her soft pellets.

that is far too much. My trio have a small handful between them daily, nothing more and they are very healthy with no sticky bums :wave: Which brand of pellet are you using? Excel is known for causing sticky poo.

Right, thanks although Kirk loves pellets yet he doesn't get any of this. Thanks for advice.

Thanks everyone I will take all this on board and hopefully we will see an improvement. Thanks for telling me I feed her too much too - I am ashamed :oops:

Thanks everyone I will take all this on board and hopefully we will see an improvement. Thanks for telling me I feed her too much too - I am ashamed :oops:

No need to be ashamed- if no-one tells you then you never know!

I live in Newark too so if u ever need any help or advise then just let me know.

please remember to make any dried food changes very gradually if you do decide to change the diet and personally I would get her weighed and vet checked first to make sure there are no underlying problems.

I would personally still try stopping her eating the birdseed first. She must be getting extra calories she doesn't need from the birdseed and this may also be causing the sticky poos?

Last edited:
please remember to make any dried food changes very gradually if you do decide to change the diet and personally I would get her weighed and vet checked first to make sure there are no underlying problems.

I would personally still try stopping her eating the birdseed first. She must be getting extra calories she doesn't need from the birdseed and this may also be causing the sticky poos?

The seed is on a bird table but the birds are so messy - it goes onto the grass and then the buns nibble it - I hoovered it all up once but I will sort out another way of feeding the birds. Yes, it must be that cos thinking about it, she never had this problem since we started feeding the birds regularly. thanks.

Back