• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Statement From Burgess Pet Care's Facebook Page Re the Harrogate Small Animal Show

Have any of you heard of 'Godwin's Law', an Internet thing where the first person to compare someone/thing to Hitler loses the argument?

Looking at the comments, we need a new law for ISIS. Good golly, it's terrifying what some of these people think and say.

Last edited:
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/ng-interactive/2016/feb/02/small-animal-show-photo-essay

:cry:

And from the BRC Website- a statement:

''
PHOTOGRAPHS OF JUDGING RABBITS In respect to the photographs produced in the article by Christopher Thomond for the Guardian Newspaper at the Small Animal Show at Harrogate on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st January 2016. The Individuals involved in the Judging of all rabbits have undertaken many years of training and development in the handling of the various breeds. They are appointed to judge due to their experience, knowledge and understanding of the relevant breeds. As part of the judging criteria, it is responsibility of the judge to ensure the rabbit is handled in line with laid down procedures. The welfare of the rabbit is paramount before, during and after judging has been completed. ***At no time during judging are rabbits placed under excessive stress or discomfort***. THE BRITISH RABBIT COUNCIL

But how do you go about defining 'excessive stress'? None of it is a necessity or for the benefit of the rabbit so for me (as a proud member of the do-gooders and fluffy bunny brigade**) ALL of it is excessive stress.

**one of my friends was called the leader of said organisation.

Last edited:
I think this is excellent news. Every time someone stands up and says "This is wrong" about animal exploitation, the world is made a better place. The aggression from the breeders and people involved with the rabbit shows just proves that they don't give a flying monkey about their animals. I hope that this has cast the people involved with this industry in a very bad light.

This. The vast majority didn't stick with polite, reasoned discussion, they were extremely rude and aggressive, personal remarks, mud slinging. I would be ashamed to be one of them given how the others behaved.

"At no time during judging are rabbits placed under excessive stress or discomfort. THE BRITISH RABBIT COUNCIL" Having seen first hand how at least one of the rabbits was handled, I would personally question this statement, and I absolutely would not tolerate anyone handling any creature within my control in such a manner.

have to comment here :) yes Burgess have withdrawn sponsorship buttttt and I have spoke to Jo about this although her article was the excuse they used they were worrying about money last year and trying to weed out of it Jo doesn't deserve all the back lash shes got she was doing what she felt was right on a personal level and good on her for it, if everyone done this istead on sitting on their backside the world would not be in such a sorry state but as shes taken a stand for what she believes is right so will breeders don't forget although the way some have gone around it is lacking greatly in intelligence (again as have some rescue ppl) ive also spoken to Jo about Burgess going all welfare concerned as I bet they will still fly the Swedish rabbits in for 4 days 2-3 times a yr to perform at their biggest marketing events ;) I will point out in the past shows these rabbits were kept in their atlas flight carriers while not jumping! although at the last one they had they had a quiet bunny room so they may very well be changing we will see if they fly them in again weather they truly have welfare as top agenda. But Jo article its not the sole reason and no Burgess hasn't specified which concerns were theirs but if I find out I will ofc repost them

This. The vast majority didn't stick with polite, reasoned discussion, they were extremely rude and aggressive, personal remarks, mud slinging. I would be ashamed to be one of them given how the others behaved.

it has been spilling over onto the rwaf page to, as you put it exactly the same

I left all the rabbit fb groups because of idiots like those breeders on there. As well a people getting annoyed whenever you critisised the care of their rabbits. Isn't that the point of those groups?

Back