• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starbuck has left for Bristol for his operation U/D He's home!!!

Thanks so much for the well wishes and vibes for Starbuck.

Thankfully he has made it through the operation itself, and as far as we know it went as well as it could have done. Starbuck is now in recovery, he is very drowsy and groggy, but has pain relief and gut stimulant so we are hoping he will start to eat soon. He has his usual hay and green oat hay with him in Bristol and this is usually the first thing he will tuck into after any kind of disruption. He still has a long way to go to recover, and we have to watch out for any post-operative infections but I am so relieved that he has made it through the operation, I've been in bits the last 24 hours just waiting nervously for him. He is back in with Muesli but Muesli has already been bit over-keen with the grooming so he also needs to be kept an eye on around Starby.

We will hopefully hear later how he is recovering. Thanks again for the vibes :love:

So pleased he has come through the operation ok Helen! How is he this evening? Is he eating yet? Thinking of you and Colin xx

Thanks again for the messages.

Starbuck has been doing well so far. He still isn't really eating for himself, but has been being syringe fed the last 24 hours and been given fluids, pain relief, gut stimulant etc. He has had a little nibble on his hay but that is all really, so they are trying to minimise the syringe feeds to encourage him to eat a bit more. He is pooing well and seems lively, he was allowed out for a run around the veterinary room this afternoon with Muesli so he must be starting to feel a bit better, and less drowsy in himself. They have been trying to tempt him to eat some greens but Muesli keeps munching it so I don't think he is getting a look in as knowing Starbuck he is being a bit slow on the uptake at this point in time.

The vets are hopeful he will feel more relaxed when he is in his own environment and he is making good progress otherwise, his wound his healing well, so all being well he should be able to make the journey home to us tomorrow - which will be great as it is his Gotcha Day!!

Colin spoke to Richard Saunders yesterday and he said that it was definitely the right thing to do to go for the operation as Starbuck had gone from 1.96kg to 1.7kg so it shows it was becoming very uncomfortable for him to eat because of the pain and pressure in his head, despite the high dose of loxicom. Also there was a lot of infection/pus in his ear so chances are he would at some point have gone very downhill.

Yeah poor little man, I knew he was uncomfortable and that Muesli was getting to eat more and he was eating less. I could tell he was still losing weight and not eating as much of his pellets, but our scales at home are not accurate so I couldn't tell by how much. He was losing weight even though we were trying to feed him up with plantain, coltsfoot, herbs, carrots, pear, banana, greens, green oat hay, timothy hay, fenugreek crunchies after his meds. Poor little thing must have been starving. Always amazes me though how they can sometimes battle on and be in such good spirits, I had such lovely snuggles with him over the weekend and he has really seemed fine in himself.

I can't wait to have him home tomorrow, I just hope it goes ahead ok so he can come home for his Gotcha Day. It will also be Fay's Gotcha Day and nearly 6 months since we lost her so will be feeling sad too, but just will be so relieved and happy to have Starby and Muesli home.

Starbuck has eaten some hay and dandelions overnight, is in good spirits and can come home today! Mr Helgalush has just arrived in Bristol to collect him and Muesli and bring them home.....and its Starbuck's Gotcha Day today too, so I will be doubly pleased to have them home where he can settle back in to his creature comforts! :love:

Thanks again for all the vibes RU! :love:

Thank you! :D I reckon it will take about 2.5 hours for them to get home as Mr Helgalush will probably hit rush hour traffic en route. He has just phoned to say he is leaving now though so fingers crossed its a smooth journey for them!

Back