• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Standard Rex Bloat ...Fur? UPDATED

Doughnut keeps getting gas and also diarrhea. They think it may be a parasite and now she still has the same symptoms but may be the reaction to the antibiotics now!

She does suffer from gas, I don't give her any veg just dill which is good for gas and also bramble leaves which are good for digestion. She has 1 egg cup of SS pellets and I am now slowly switching her to the vetcare digestion formula as they take longer for her to eat and so will stop being a piglet and eating them too quickly. Anything to slow down the eating as sometimes this is the problem, although now there seems to be something more serious.

I give her infracol when she is uncomfortable and that seems to help.

Infracol sounds like a good idea. I might start trying them on dill or some other herbs. They seem to like Parsley. Is Basil allowed? Some good news I think... I went to the vet today and she had a very thorough feel... she said there's nothing too hard or gassy in there. His teeth are tip top condition.... I noticed earlier he passed a string of three big poos all made up of highly impacted fur. I'm guessing this is what was causing him so much distress last night. So I'll have to pick his fur over like a maniac and maybe adjust his diet. I like the oil and pellets idea (I noticed the medicine they gave me for him had a very very high oil content), I could try it too.

Thanks so much for your input guys it helps so much knowing I'm not alone.

I told my mum about this fiasco today and how I was missing a really fancy event this evening to look after bun and she did the '-What all for a rabbit?' response. We know better :)

Infracol sounds like a good idea. I might start trying them on dill or some other herbs. They seem to like Parsley. Is Basil allowed? Some good news I think... I went to the vet today and she had a very thorough feel... she said there's nothing too hard or gassy in there. His teeth are tip top condition.... I noticed earlier he passed a string of three big poos all made up of highly impacted fur. I'm guessing this is what was causing him so much distress last night. So I'll have to pick his fur over like a maniac and maybe adjust his diet. I like the oil and pellets idea (I noticed the medicine they gave me for him had a very very high oil content), I could try it too.

Thanks so much for your input guys it helps so much knowing I'm not alone.

I told my mum about this fiasco today and how I was missing a really fancy event this evening to look after bun and she did the '-What all for a rabbit?' response. We know better :)

This really in NOT a good idea. Oil will coat ingested matter and make it impossible for it to absorb water. Dehydrated ingesta is likely to cause more problems.

Lots of hay, a good fluid intake and plenty of exercise are the main essentials.

This really in NOT a good idea. Oil will coat ingested matter and make it impossible for it to absorb water. Dehydrated ingesta is likely to cause more problems.

Lots of hay, a good fluid intake and plenty of exercise are the main essentials.

Ah okay, noted! :) At the moment hes eating Recovery. Im mixing it with loads of water to make sure he's getting as much water as possible.

I have two mini rexes, both 5 years old. They seem to be susceptible to bloat. Milly has had bloat at least 3 times this year, and Molly has had a couple this year. Over their lives, they have probably had around 10 bloat episodes each. Most of the time, they recover very quickly if I bring them inside, encourage them to hop around and massage their bellies. But sometimes, they need pain relief and gut stimulant to get it all moving. And my rabbits tend to get stasis at night too. :roll:

I don't give my rabbits veg at all, because Molly doesn't like it, and I don't think it would be good for their delicate tummies. They get a diet of:

- 3 pellets (Supreme Vetcare Plus Digestive: good for bunnies with digestive problems) in the morning each
- Meadow hay unlimited all day and all night long
- Small handful of Timothy hay in the evening
- 5-6 pellets (Science Selective) in the evening each
- Small pinch of dried Plantain (good for digestive systems)

It may be worth trying the vetcare digestive pellets as they do slow them down and make them chew.

How is he doing today? I meant to say infacol - the first emergency vet we seen gave him infacol, I keep a bottle in at all time now :D

I found this thread very interesting! My Rex gets GI stasis and bloat a lot too. All but one time was after an evening feeding of veg too.

Echoing what someone else said on here, his first boat was after eating spring greens, so I cut them out totally.

I do think his problem stems from eating too quickly. I split his evening veg meal into two, separated by an hour or two but he still goes crackers and scoffs what I give him too quickly for my liking :(

I'm currently about to move him from eating Excel to SS in an effort to try to reduce the risk of him getting the problems again.

Back