• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Squeaking

DanAboutTown

Young Bun
I’m going to preface this by saying that I worry endlessly and probably excessively about my rabbit, Noodle! She’s a seven year old, free range house bunny, and very much the Queen Bee! In the past, she’s had her share of health problems: she is prone to bouts of gut stasis, she’s had to have a tooth removed because of an abscess, she’s had an eye infection and e-caniculi. Needless to say, she’s definitely put us through the ringer at times!

Recently, we’ve noticed her squeaking much more than usual. She’s often done this in the past, while eating or getting stroked, but there’s been quite an increase in the past week or so, particularly while cleaning herself. Apart from that, there aren’t any other changes in behaviour: she’s still eating, sleeping and pooping, and running around like she owns the place! She seems happy, perhaps a slight decrease in the number of binkies, although she goes through phases with this anyway. She had to go to the vet last week for a check up, and the vet couldn’t find anything that would cause it. I could just be worried about nothing, but I can’t help shake the feeling that there’s an underlying cause for the squeaking. It would be great to get reassurance from everybody in the forum, that I’m just worrying over nothing!

Thanks in advance!

The fact shes had a vet check up is a good thing and is the main thing I would have suggested.

Have there been any changes around the house?

-New paint?
-Different hay that seems more dusty?
-New cleaning products?
-Nee plants/furnishings etc?
-New perfumes/room fresheners/candles?

It could be some thing from the above causing a small allergic reaction within the lungs/nasal cavity which is causing the increase in noise.

I'd recommend keeping an extra close eye and if anything changes going back to the vets.

Is she also a healthy weight for her breed? Excess weight could cause more noises while trying to groom as there'll be pressure added as she reaches places.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for your reply.

No real changes around the house, and her weight was described as “perfect” by the vet! We will keep an eye on her and take her back to the vet if there are any changes. She needs to go back for another vaccination in a couple of weeks anyway.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

No real changes around the house, and her weight was described as “perfect” by the vet! We will keep an eye on her and take her back to the vet if there are any changes. She needs to go back for another vaccination in a couple of weeks anyway.

Personally I would get her examined by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.Is your current Vet Rabbit Savvy. ? Given your Rabbits history of Dental problems it may be that her squeaky noises are related to some nasal obstruction due to tooth root elongation. Does she have any signs of having runny eyes ? Does she sneeze a lot ?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Her eyes are absolutely fine, she did sneeze quite a bit last week, but not since. Its definitely something we will mention next week.

We did get a new batch of bedding for her a few weeks ago, and began to notice the squeaking more about a week later. She uses paper bedding, and I’m now wondering whether, if this batch is a little dustier, this may be linked to it?

Back