• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spraying each other!!

Bex09

Warren Scout
Hi, was just wondering if my two male rabbits spraying each other will effect future bonding? They are both being nuetered in 3 weeks time and I obviously won't be attempting bonding 'til a couple of months after that. They have seperate runs a few inches apart and they normally seem to be quite tollerant of each other. But today they have started spraying each other through the wire of the runs. This is then followed by growling at each other and chasing up and down in their own runs. I'm worried that this aggression will have an effect on progress when I try to bond them. What does everyone think? Also why are they doing this? They normally reserve the spraying treatment for me!! :love:

While me and my partner lived with his mum we had two un neutered males(Grim and his brother's Hugs). They were separate and when one was out he used to run up and down by the other one's hutch and flick pee (I still haven't got the white off the hutches) and vice versa. They used to spend all their time 'together' even though they were separated so I actually tried them together before they were done. The first time they fought and there was lots of growling and the second time they spent trying to hump each other at the same time going round in a circle and chasing each other - no violence. I never kept them together because when Grimlock mounts another rabbit he pulls all the fur out of their neck when he holds on, even when he was neutered, until it bleeds. Bless him, he has no incisors any more. :(

But back to your question; even though they fought the first time they still got on eventually, it is normal for males to spray. Yours might need more time to bond but I don't think the spraying will affect it. In the end it depends on their personalities.

Back