• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying day is approaching - U/D Everything went well! :-D

I thought they used stitches which healed on the inside or something so that the bun can't pull them. Thats what the vet told me anyway when Bean (male) was neutered. Truffle is going in a week today. Fingers crossed. I am just looking for a nice bed to make her comfortable after. Can't imagine that she will want to sit on straw. Would be quite uncomfortable. :roll:

my vet told me this too at Star's pre-op appointment.

Awh glad you found a better one.

Both of mine were sent home with collars, but sophie was that stressed out she wouldn't wear hers and had to be rushed in to be stitched back up. If she will not have a collar, definately used the doggy jumper, or even a mans sock. I tried it jumper style, but sophie just pushed it out the way. Saying that Autumn was fine and didn't bother with her stitches at all.

I couldn't believe that the only emergency vets was in Salford, considering Im in Oldham it was going to be a bit of a trek, esp without transport. I was lucky

I just had my rabbit spayed today. There was no pre-op appt or anything - just booked in and told to drop her off between 8am and 8.30am. Ugh..:lol:

All they said after was to keep her inside for two days and make sure she poos. If she hasn't pood by tomorrow to take her back in. She's had a little water and nibbled a bit of celery but bar that still loooks very dopey. If she's not eating much now, I can't imagine her pooing much before tomorrow???

:?

I just had my rabbit spayed today. There was no pre-op appt or anything - just booked in and told to drop her off between 8am and 8.30am. Ugh..:lol:

All they said after was to keep her inside for two days and make sure she poos. If she hasn't pood by tomorrow to take her back in. She's had a little water and nibbled a bit of celery but bar that still loooks very dopey. If she's not eating much now, I can't imagine her pooing much before tomorrow???

:?

She should still be doing some poo. It doesn't matter if it's not huge amounts, it's just to make sure her bowels are still moving.

Try to tempt her with sprouts or carrots. I've had 4 girlies here recovering from spays . One was eating everything on sight on her way home from the vet!!! The others weren't very interested the first evening apart from a nibble at some hay and green veg. I just made sure there was a bowl of water nearby as it seems easier for them to drink from a bowl. A piece of carrot or small piece of apple is rarely refused. Good luck to all post spay bunnies tonight..and their nervous owners! And huge vibes for tomorrow:D

Try to tempt her with sprouts or carrots. I've had 4 girlies here recovering from spays . One was eating everything on sight on her way home from the vet!!! The others weren't very interested the first evening apart from a nibble at some hay and green veg. I just made sure there was a bowl of water nearby as it seems easier for them to drink from a bowl. A piece of carrot or small piece of apple is rarely refused. Good luck to all post spay bunnies tonight..and their nervous owners! And huge vibes for tomorrow:D

Thankyou :)! She has a bowl anyway cause she would rather thirst to death than drink from a bottle. I have lots of grapes (her ultimate favourite) stored up so if i can tempt her with anything it wil def be grapes! Not long now, she has to be in at 9. I'm nervous :( Not as much as yesterday though as i have much confidence in this vet that they will do their very best!

Just phoned the vet and everything went well and she's recovering now! I can go pick her up at 4! I'm so relieved and so happy :D:D:D

....also, rascal the hamster seems brighter. She's active and running around her cage more now so fingers crossed the medication is working and we caught the infection early enough!

Happy happy :D:D:D

Ruby just had a little piece of lettuce. Taking her back to the vets at 4.30 as still no droppings and she seems very lethargic. Guess that might be normal but the vets did urge me to take her back if no poo. :(

At least Gordon the guinea is OK. Scoffing and pooing for England after his castration. I think he knows there's a palace and girly piggies in the pipeline...

:)

Ruby just had a little piece of lettuce. Taking her back to the vets at 4.30 as still no droppings and she seems very lethargic. Guess that might be normal but the vets did urge me to take her back if no poo.

Do you know what anesthetic they used? Isoflourine is most commonly used for small animals. Other anesthetics (used mainly for dogs and cats) can leave a bun quite lethargic afterwards. I just got Fidget home and she hopped around my bed as soon as she got out of the carrier so i assume this is what they used for her. She had a little nibble of some mint a minute ago but soon lost interest. I expect it'll be a while before she's back to normal again but she has poo'd and wee'd.

Hi

No idea re the anaesthetic. Just got back from the vet. He gave her another painkilling injection and a 2nd one that's supposed to encourage her to eat. They also gave me some kind of paste in a syringe to give her which is supposed to be nutritious.

Anyway - signs are good. She seems livelier and has been eating celery, hay and swallowed some of the paste!

Glad yours are recovering OK :)

Here she is in her cage recovering! She's so brave :love::love:

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

And rascal the hamster who has defied all odds and survived a whole week with wet tail, is still active and still eating - here's hoping a recovery is on the way!

DSC00113.jpg

Glad all went well for you guys! She is adorable and looks very bright and brisky! :love:

I am so nervous about our little Truffle going in for her spay on Monday! :(:(

Keep counting down the days. I cried at the vets when they took Bean in. The vet nurse was explaining what would happen and then when I signed the form I just wept! Daddy is such a silly!

Ruby has poo'd at last! Hallelujah! Not loads and she's not exactly stuffing her face but she has poo'd.

Very relieved. :)

Ruby has poo'd at last! Hallelujah! Not loads and she's not exactly stuffing her face but she has poo'd.

Very relieved. :)

Excellent :D! Aside from the little nibble of mint fidget hasn't touched a thing i assume (or rather i hope) this is normal so soon post-spay

Last edited:
I have had 5 of my does spayed and most of them breezed through with no problems. Two of them pulled out their stitches and had to be re-stitched with no further problems. Our does had morning surgery and we were advised not to let them eat overnight or in the morning prior to surgery but to feed them the night before as usual. Eating a bit of their bedding / hay or straw was ok. When we collected them in the afternoons they had all already eaten at the vets and if they had not all wee'd and poo'd by then they had by the evening. We kept them in a warm room in the house overnight as the anasthetic drops their temperature and they can get very cold. By the next day they were all up and jumping around, some a little stiff but doing their own thing !!! I'm sure your's will be fine !!:):)

Wooooo she just ate half a grape :D I knew if anything would win her round it would be grapes! I'm so paranoid she is going to chew her stitches overnight! She is licking around that area. Not her actual wound but around her legs and whatnot and her jumper is too small for her

Back