• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spacing of bars - bunny business heavy duty 8 panel pen

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I need to get a pen asap, and I have found this one;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BUNNY-BUSIN...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1451555288&sr=1-31

unfortunately I cannot find out what the spacing of the bars is, in a review someone said approx 4cm.

Is this too big? I have two medium sized rabbits. This run is specifically for rabbits but I am still worried, does any one on the forum have one of these? I don't want them to get their heads stuck.

I have some of the flimsier panels that look like shopping trolley sides, but these are too lightweight for my larger bunny, who will push it around the room and she wont be safe.

hopefully someone here can advise, thank you!
Laura

I would be interested in opinions on this pen too, I had considered getting one but wasn't sure about the spacing. There is also one on amazons deals today slightly cheaper than the bunny business one if that's of any use to you lauraandmike http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BUPB1IE?ref_=gbps_img_m-4_0127_75963aa9&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Hi Casco,

Ive looked at your link, its about the same price for the one I want, which is 2 x 2 m squared (80 or 85 quid). But the other sizes may be cheaper. In general these are a lot sturdier than others. the Bunny Business one weighs 20 kilo / around 3 stone!!

From what I have read since I started this thread, the bars are a problem, lots of horrible stories about rabbits getting their heads stuck, injuries, death. So I have decided to chicken wire or mesh the bottom of the panels, not sure how high up to go???????

I have to get this done whilst my buns go to be bonded, best hurry up and order one :)

We've got the 6 panel bunny business heavy duty one and added weld mesh with cable ties after our then 12-week-old mini lop managed to squeeze out between the bars! It's nice and solid and we've been pleased with it xxx

The run that I use for my two outside buns is actually a dog run and is extremely heavy duty and therefore very strong and resistant. The spacing between the wire is diagonal and is big enough so the bunnies can fit their heads through with ease, but not the rest of their body. This means that they can't escape but also can't get their head stuck should they try.

I have one and I've just measured it and yes the spacing is 4cm. I use it for bonding/convalescing after surgery etc rather than for regular use. I'd have thought it would be ok for medium sized bunnies, I would be more nervous about it with small ones though. Is it for indoor or outdoor use?

Thanks for all the replies. Santa, its for indoor use. I have a house rabbit and an outside rabbit going for bonding, which will have to be inside when they get back as it is january.
I dont want to use a pen at all but polly will demolish the house otherwise!!
I think i will mesh the bottom, problem is when i cut the wire it is very sharp, any suggestions anyone?
It took me about a day to file down a small piece of mesh for the child gate!
Or perhaps there is something else i can use ...... Im really stuck on ideas here 😏

I like the sound of the dog pen with diagonal bars, will have look. I do think that the one i have linked will be too heavy, but i worry that polly will lift up and get her head stuck under a lighterweight one, she is very strong and naughty

I have one of these and it is heavy but ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. I'd be concerned with the bar spacing for young or small rabbits

Back