• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

(Soon to be) my bunnies - Name ideas (and travel suggestions) welcome!

ceremonie

New Kit
Hi everyone :) For those in the intros thread who were interested, here are the two bunnies I am adopting!

0b0c048e0d7d89bf2b71c92c0baa04b37ae528e0.jpg
362ecb6d687528f5276906d4879e7d59ecc09748.jpg

3786961b11ef74741f1b4eef3181434c3d8221d6.jpg
1bfacf8bb0804141992137a4e6eab0cdcce9afeb.jpg

They are brothers about 4-5 months old~ My guess which the rescue staff seem to agree with is that they are Silver Marten breed (with one the sable colour variant)?

They have had all their vaccination and neutering procedures so I will be picking them up on Friday and bringing them home just in time for the rabbit lunar new year ♪(´▽`)

Because it's a bit of a long train journey and the rescue could only do a late evening appointment, I'm going to be taking them back to my parents' house (nearby) overnight before travelling back here the next morning... so I would also be glad of any ideas or tips you may have for (train) travel and/or for temporary set-up for that night.

I have grid panels I'm planning to take with me since they're portable enough, but for things like a temporary litter-box, etc. I'm still working out what to do.

Also, their current names are Kevin and Jeff, which we're most likely going to change ^>^"
I am so particular about names though, so even though I have a big long list I'm still looking for options!
Most of my longlist names are nature-based, e.g. plants, other animals, birds; or ordinary words that I think make interesting names.
I'm not as much a fan of cute food-y names like Cookie, Oreo, etc. (I think they're adorable but just not my style), but I'd love to hear any suggestions if you have them. :)

Oh my, what gorgeous boys, maybe get to know them first, and then choose names ? I've never travelled by train with bunnies, only a van (when I moved up to Scotland) Puppy panels would probably work well as a temporary set up at your parents. How long is the train journey out of interest?

They are very very lovely :love: I wouldn't worry too much about the journey and overnight stop. Puppy panels will be fine. If your parents have a garden seed tray without holes, you could use that with lots of hay for their litter tray. Put puppy pads over the whole area to protect the floor as they will probably want to scent mark and litter training will suffer a bit. Main thing is to let them settle. They will have each other and so the least notice you can take of them the better. For the train journey, it will depend I think how crowded and noisy the train is. I would have a towel or cloth handy to pop over the carrier, if it appears to be likely to be noisy.

Names are difficult as they are a very personal thing. Suggestions though - Nettle, Thistle, Liquorice, Lentil, Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Rowan, Charlock, Juniper, Swallow, Curlew, Pipit, Serin, Siskin, Fly, Moth, Newt and Beetle.

Hope all goes well on Friday.

I would make sure you have a secure, hard (rather than soft sided) carrier - like a standard cat carrier. Put a few sheets of newspaper in the bottom and a lot of hay on top. The hay is bedding, food, insulation from temperature changes, padding if the carrier gets knocked about, etc. You also need a bowl and some water. For travelling, a small plastic tub will do (eg margarine tub with a lid). You just want to offer them water, rather than have a bowl slopping all over while you are travelling. Wet hay isn't good. A small amount of whatever dry food they are on would be useful - it can be scattered on the floor when they are at the overnight stopover and will give them something to do. Any fresh greens they are used to will also provide moisture, both in the carrier and overnight. Dandelion leaves are always good.

Puppy pads are a good idea. I wouldn't be too worried about going overboard for a night. You just need to make a safe area for them - especially if they can get to and chew and cables. Bathrooms are often useful - no trailing wires and easy to clean the floor.

Leave the carrier with the door open (or off) once you have got to your parents' house. Just let them sort themselves out in the safe space. They may not want to come out, but they have the option.

Silver and Sable. They are beautiful. I have travelled many times on public transport with rabbits on both trains and buses with no issues at all. Agree with Shimmers advice. Best of luck cant wait to see more pictures.

I've never travelled by train with bunnies, only a van (when I moved up to Scotland) Puppy panels would probably work well as a temporary set up at your parents. How long is the train journey out of interest?

They are very very lovely :love: I wouldn't worry too much about the journey and overnight stop. Puppy panels will be fine. If your parents have a garden seed tray without holes, you could use that with lots of hay for their litter tray. Put puppy pads over the whole area to protect the floor as they will probably want to scent mark and litter training will suffer a bit. Main thing is to let them settle. They will have each other and so the least notice you can take of them the better. For the train journey, it will depend I think how crowded and noisy the train is. I would have a towel or cloth handy to pop over the carrier, if it appears to be likely to be noisy.

I would make sure you have a secure, hard (rather than soft sided) carrier - like a standard cat carrier. Put a few sheets of newspaper in the bottom and a lot of hay on top. The hay is bedding, food, insulation from temperature changes, padding if the carrier gets knocked about, etc. You also need a bowl and some water. For travelling, a small plastic tub will do (eg margarine tub with a lid). You just want to offer them water, rather than have a bowl slopping all over while you are travelling. Wet hay isn't good. A small amount of whatever dry food they are on would be useful - it can be scattered on the floor when they are at the overnight stopover and will give them something to do. Any fresh greens they are used to will also provide moisture, both in the carrier and overnight. Dandelion leaves are always good.

Puppy pads are a good idea. I wouldn't be too worried about going overboard for a night. You just need to make a safe area for them - especially if they can get to and chew and cables. Bathrooms are often useful - no trailing wires and easy to clean the floor.

Leave the carrier with the door open (or off) once you have got to your parents' house. Just let them sort themselves out in the safe space. They may not want to come out, but they have the option.

Puppy pads is a good idea, I forgot about those. Thank you all for reminding me they exist! haha
I like the seed tray idea too, there most likely is one lying around! And they'll likely be in the kitchen so nice and easy to clean before I go (should be quiet/not too smelly as everyone is out that evening!) I'm sure there are some cardboard boxes around too and good point that I can leave the carrier in as an extra hiding place.

The train is about two hours with around half an hour either side car/taxi journey. I'm hoping the train will be fairly quiet at that time compared to the Friday evening... I at least know I have a window seat so we will have a little corner.

I'm going to be collecting a (hard-sided) carrier from the rescue along with them and they've said they have some larger ones available so that they can be comfy on the train. Thank you so much Omi and Shimmer for all those tips!

Oh my, what gorgeous boys, maybe get to know them first, and then choose names ?

They are (TT w TT)
Yeah, I did hope to have them sorted out in all the weeks I've been thinking about them... but at this point it probably makes just as much sense to wait since they're almost here :lol:

Names are difficult as they are a very personal thing. Suggestions though - Nettle, Thistle, Liquorice, Lentil, Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Rowan, Charlock, Juniper, Swallow, Curlew, Pipit, Serin, Siskin, Fly, Moth, Newt and Beetle.

It's true, and I have the added difficulty of my fiancée's naming taste/strategy apparently being quite different from mine :lol:
These are exactly the kind of ones I love :love: Some are already on my list - I love Nettle and Juniper - but lots more that aren't so thank you for the ideas!!! Moth is adorable ; - ;

Silver and Sable. They are beautiful. I have travelled many times on public transport with rabbits on both trains and buses with no issues at all. Agree with Shimmers advice. Best of luck cant wait to see more pictures.

Cute choices~ Sometimes I forget about the more straightforward options haha. And thank you, I don't drive so it is very reassuring to hear that <3

Enjoy your beautiful boys!

Thank you! ^-^ <3

Just thought I'd update while we are on the train back! Collected them yesterday and they're so perfect TT - TT 💕 They're not shy or nervous at all; the lighter/sable one is a bit less outgoing than the black one, but even he is so sociable and energetic. Both of them seemed completely fine in their temporary pen overnight. Their fosterer said they were GREAT hay eaters and so far so true haha. They've been eating plenty, lots of hay, and pellets and greens from my hand really boldly o:

250446cf71a916d75bbbef8a7f8465153f4529e4.jpg
0acf9d8813563e2835089ced22fb77c7ae6ff070.jpg

bda71951f3f7a62e4b91046754256c4fe9df5f47.jpg
3fb34418fa45cd2fb13bac67a8c5e6b365fded4b.jpg

f870d7ace38f4826688efded2f09dca98199de0e.jpg
f13a056d6d7e175e43999c8188917c1bb46c81d0.jpg

So far so good on the train — it turns out to be pretty busy after all... but not too bad and their carrier is in a nice spot across from me so I can keep an eye on them. Spoke to a lovely bunny owner at the station who was very excited to see them haha, and we had a nice chat about the online bunny community, rescues, etc.

I'll make another post once they're settled in and have names!

You'll have to edit your title :lol:

I'm so pleased that all is going well. They certainly look very relaxed at their overnight stop. It's super that they are so confident. The fosterer has also clearly done a very good job with encouraging hay eating. It is so important that they eat lots of hay and makes looking after them so much easier too. The last rabbit that I adopted apparently ate very little hay when the rescue took him in. They completely turned this around and he hasn't regressed at all and is always eating loads of hay.

I'm sure you have done loads of research before they arrived, but if you have any queries then just ask. One of us will be able to help.

Thanks for letting us know how it's going. Will be interested to hear how they settle. I bet they scent mark everwhere :)

Lovely bunnies, and so glad everything going ok. I'm sure they'll soon be settled in their new home, and taking it over :lol: thanks for the update, look forward to hearing more about them :)

What beautiful Bunnies :love: I hope they settle in to their new home well. It certainly sounds as though they are both very chilled out, which is always a bonus :D

I like the black bunny, if I'm not mistaken its a silver fox breed. I like the lop silver fox bunnies. They are both beautiful rabbits.

Back