• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something happened to Cookie's ear :(

His ear is itching. Could be ear mites, a build up of ear wax or an ear infection. His ear canal needs to be examined using an otoscope.

His ear is itching. Could be ear mites, a build up of ear wax or an ear infection. His ear canal needs to be examined using an otoscope.

Ok, vets are closed today but I will try to make an appointment tomorrow or tuesday. We go to the vet on tuesday at the latest. :|

The Vet will need to establish for certain that Cookie does not have any signs of infection. If you are still intending to transport him to Europe by Air he cannot fly if he has an ear infection. The atmospheric pressure changes could cause serious pain and worsening of any disease process.

The Vet will need to establish for certain that Cookie does not have any signs of infection. If you are still intending to transport him to Europe by Air he cannot fly if he has an ear infection. The atmospheric pressure changes could cause serious pain and worsening of any disease process.

No, we will go to Europe by car (rabbit-friendly airline companies come to Turkey only in the summer season). But it's good to know that, I will pay attention to this when we come to Turkey by plane in the summer.
Now it looks like Cookie's ear is back to normal, i'll be checking it out all day. Actually in the morning Cookie's ear was normal, then suddenly within a few minutes he started shaking his head constantly and tilting his ear. Do you think this could be momentary, if it doesn't recur today should I still take it to the vet?

No, we will go to Europe by car (rabbit-friendly airline companies come to Turkey only in the summer season). But it's good to know that, I will pay attention to this when we come to Turkey by plane in the summer.
Now it looks like Cookie's ear is back to normal, i'll be checking it out all day. Actually in the morning Cookie's ear was normal, then suddenly within a few minutes he started shaking his head constantly and tilting his ear. Do you think this could be momentary, if it doesn't recur today should I still take it to the vet?

i would.

oh dear :( i hope Cookie is OK.xxxx

Hee looks fine now, but he has been sick for months, we are constantly at the vet. Cookie looks like an allergic rabbit so he's very prone to getting sick. I always feel on edge about Cookie too. :|

This answer helped me a lot, thank you very much. I will take him to the vet.

I wonder if I'm exaggerating, it was just like this yesterday morning, everything is normal for 20 hours. He hasn't shaken his head or bent his ear for 20 hours. Do you think it's normal for rabbits to have itchy ears from time to time? I don't want to tire Cookie by running to the vet on everything. :( Do you think I'm worried unnecessary?

It is possible that there was just a transient irritation. Just as we can get an itch which quickly resolves. Sometimes a lose bit of ear wax can irritate and once Bunny has shaken their head a few times and scratched the ear the wax comes out- problem solved. But it is impossible to say for absolute certain what caused Cookie to have an itchy ear without looking into the ear canal. If he has been fine after the one off episode just monitor things to make sure that it does not happen again.

It is possible that there was just a transient irritation. Just as we can get an itch which quickly resolves. Sometimes a lose bit of ear wax can irritate and once Bunny has shaken their head a few times and scratched the ear the wax comes out- problem solved. But it is impossible to say for absolute certain what caused Cookie to have an itchy ear without looking into the ear canal. If he has been fine after the one off episode just monitor things to make sure that it does not happen again.

Ok, thank you so much. My husband believes I'm causing unnecessary worry. My husband says maybe it's a momentary itchy ear like we have. He offers to take it if it repeats, says let's watch now. I'll watch it today and tomorrow too, if it repeats I'll make an appointment this week right away.

Back