• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft droppings on and off

Floppylop

Young Bun
My Doe has her'edible' droppings intermittntly soft squishy masses, sometimes clean enough to drop off other times I have to get it off for her, initially she ate veg and grass without problem , then suddnely started with this, she also has runny eyes at the time, the latter has had drops etc and has improved tho not yet 100% I took her off her greens to try to improve her poops (her normal ones are fine) but altho she would go a day or two it still happened, in the end I took her off pellets and just fed her meadow and oat hay with a little dried herbage, but again she can be fine for a few days and then another bad poop. Vet checked her teeth (re eyes) she is okay in herself and seems to eat ok, I am flummoxed what to do next, any ideas/suggestions/experiences

I don't have any good advice as you seem to have tried all the usual combinations of food/lack of foods. If your Bunny seems happy in herself it may just be a case of managing her problem. Did the Vet examine her molars?

My Doe has her'edible' droppings intermittntly soft squishy masses, sometimes clean enough to drop off other times I have to get it off for her, initially she ate veg and grass without problem , then suddnely started with this, she also has runny eyes at the time, the latter has had drops etc and has improved tho not yet 100% I took her off her greens to try to improve her poops (her normal ones are fine) but altho she would go a day or two it still happened, in the end I took her off pellets and just fed her meadow and oat hay with a little dried herbage, but again she can be fine for a few days and then another bad poop. Vet checked her teeth (re eyes) she is okay in herself and seems to eat ok, I am flummoxed what to do next, any ideas/suggestions/experiences

How old is she and is she overweight ?

Runny eyes can sometimes be related to Dental problems involving the tooth roots- tooth root elongation. This condition can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs. Any type of dental problem can cause unformed/ uneaten cecotrophs.

Have you tried giving a five day course of Fibreplex ? https://www.protexin.com/products/fibreplex-for-rabbits/26

Finally, this might seem to be an odd question, but is she a broken coloured Rabbit ?

She is a sealpoint Lionlop, and certainly not overweight at all, 2 vets have checked her teeth , though to be honest I doubt either knew what they were looking at, but said they where fine, I am aware that a problem can only be seen with x ray etc, so maybe that may be the issue, she does get some eye issues still and has a habit of scratching off an crust from the corner of her eye making it bleed, I probably need to find a more savvy vet, but tbh I am a little wary of the cost as no-one gives you a clue till they throw the bill at you , ad I have had a lot of expense with useless vets, and would hate to go down the same route again....

Back