• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smokey now seems to have a head tilt.- he's gone.

Kermit had very bad Nystygmus when he first developed head tilt. To be honest, your bun seems much better than what my kermit was, and he managed to pull through, so fingers crossed for Smokey.

Has Smokey rolled at all? (Hope NOT!)

The fact that he is now eating is a mega positive sign, and the fact that he is getting about a bit too! Kermit couldnt even walk for over a week!

As far as if its better to get an inner ear infection or EC, i dont think the vets can 100% tell, so usually treat for both to be sure. Also, i got kermit blood tests for EC, and the came back negative....complete waste of time i think cos they just stressed him out!

It really is a tough time to go through, takes alot out of you looking after a very poorly bun, my thoughts are with you at the moment :) xx

Last edited:
Thanks tom,
Smokey tilt seems to be a bit worse today, one eye is facing the ceiling, the other the floor. He is eating and pooping well though. If it was 'just' a head tilt, and I don't mean to make light of the condition, I would fight- no question. It is the fact he has respiratory problems as well and is thin to begin with, I am torn because he is such a fighter. I thought he might be gone this morning, but NO, and he even growled at me when I tried to give him fibreplex, but there is no denying his breathing is a struggle.
He is moving around and not rolling, he is on antibiotics and panacur to cover both, and I have a vet coming out on Sunday to check him, as I am worried that he is suffering and I'm just not seeing it anymore as I am too close.
Thanks for everyone's advise and support so far, Its so hard because he is such a fighter, I don't think I've met an animals with such spirit, except for, perhaps,Indy who was a goat we had with a rumen tumour. Most rabbit would have given up by now.

Last edited:
Smokey is still eating and pooping well, he even peed on me after trying to give his neck a wee rub. I think he is a bit worse again today, his balance is less good and he sometimes rolls over, but does manage to right himself again. He is still trying to groom, using one paw at a time, rather than both at once. This is a good sign, isn't it.
Its so hard to watch him though.
For those who have had head tilt buns, i assume they recover enough to have a good quality of life afterwards.
I am still in denial, as I can't believe it could all end on sunday.

Hi there, wasnt online yesterday, so have just read your updates.

When kermit was ill, i was always thinking that if he was eating and trying to get about, then who was i to decide to stop him from trying to fight. Honestly kermit was really alot worse than what smokey sounds to be. I hope he is getting better today!

Kermit still has a head tilt, looks worse at times, he manages to run about at rapid speeds, eats like a horse and can jump in and out of his cage with the use of a wee wooden bridge.

Ill try to find some pics of how bad he looked for comparison....oh and also, his eye was looking at the ceiling, infact it basically still is at times!!

He couldnt even stand up without falling over for over a week!

infact, ive managed to get you some clips....not great looking at my wee boy this ill, but should give you an idea!

Here you can see his head tilted alot, although he is still licking me!!
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011126.flv

this is when he first managed to walk a bit again, was in a circle for ages!
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011145.flv

Ive got some good news videos on my camera, ones that show you him running about, ill get these on the pc and show you later on if i can :)

He looks quite sparkey in those videos I have to say.....Jack had head tilt a while back,no ear infection and was treated for EC,on Janes advice I got him metacam too ,she also advised stemetil but my vets dont have it.....Jack was falling over on his side ,not sure his head was quite as titled as Smokey's but not far off.....Jack showed improvement after about a week and a half on panacur....he has a very slight tilt still sometimes but nothing major.....the vet seems to think bunnies will adapt to the tilt ....really hope Smokey gets better soon.

I'm very sorry to say I had Smokey PTS his morning. He had started to roll through the night and couldn't right himself, he also couldn't eat or drink. His breathing was also a struggle for him and he was distressed.
I couldn't bare o watch him anymore, so I called the vet out, she agreed that if he had been a healthy it would have been worth trying to fight, but because he was ill anyway it was unlikely he would recover.
The vet said he had done really well and had lived a year longer than had been expected.
He was PTS in the room with Milly near him, typically of him he fought until the end and took a long time to pass, but it was peaceful and I am relieved that he is at rest.
Our days will be empty without him, but we must now think about Milly. She will have to diet and then be spayed and we will try and maybe bond her with one of our pairs.

I am so sorry, I have been following Smokey's progress :(:(

It must have been very distressing for you to see but at least he is pain free now. You did everything you could for him, he was obviously a very well loved bunny.

Binky Free at the bridge Smokey, Have fun xxx

Im so sorry to hear of this.....hopd he is happy and pain free now, i feel for you at this time, hope things get easier for you.

kirsty xx

Back