• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sludgy bladder

Pippin'sMum

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice/thoughts on my little boy Smartie, a Nethie cross. He's about 5 years old and bonded to Toffee, a doe about twice his size. He's had problems with his bladder most of his life, with several trips to the vets with urine scald and thick urine, he was x-rayed early last year but only a 'normal' amount of sludge was seen in his bladder, no problems with his kidneys. I keep his underneath around his bits clipped and regularly wash and cream around there to keep him clean and help with the scald. He is the only one of my four to be troubled by this.

I feed him and Toffee and small amount of Burgess Excel Light (he's a bit overweight, being quite greedy) they have about a level tablespoon full of pellets once a day between them, they have unlimited hay (baled 'horse' hay), Readigrass and lots of different veg. They also have a grassed run, he spends a lot of time grazing when there is grass growing, obviously not so much at the moment. I feed spring greens, carrot, parsnip, sprouts, kale (although a limited quantity, a small handful each once a day about once a fortnight), various salad leaves, small pieces of apple and/or pear, a mouthful of banana each, broccoli (again a small quantity occasionally, it seems to cause a few dirty bottoms), pak choi. sweetheart cabbage, etc. They each have a bit of four or five of these, to cover about a teaplate twice a day. They have one large cabbage leaf between four, a piece of carrot, half a sprout, etc, so I don't think I'm overdoing the veg. They have two large bowls of water, which are changed at least once a day.

I took him a couple of weeks ago to the vets and saw a locum, who told me he just can't process calcium. I stopped feeding pellets to them, and am always careful not to feed veg which is reputed to be high in calcium. After about 10 days I started giving a small quantity of pellets again, and today I've seen an area where he's wee'd and it's dried to a yellow patch of sludge again. It's not like crystals, more like a splash of paint almost. He is clean and dry underneath (I check him every day). Sometimes he can go for weeks without a problem.

Any ideas? I'm worried about cutting down on calcium in their diet because of the effect on their teeth, and of course I have Toffee to consider as well. I'd be interested to hear any experiences with this problem and how to deal with it. He sometimes seems distressed, trying to lick around there, and he gets fed up with me clipping and washing round his bottom.

Thanks in anticipation.:)

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice/thoughts on my little boy Smartie, a Nethie cross. He's about 5 years old and bonded to Toffee, a doe about twice his size. He's had problems with his bladder most of his life, with several trips to the vets with urine scald and thick urine, he was x-rayed early last year but only a 'normal' amount of sludge was seen in his bladder, no problems with his kidneys. I keep his underneath around his bits clipped and regularly wash and cream around there to keep him clean and help with the scald. He is the only one of my four to be troubled by this.

I feed him and Toffee and small amount of Burgess Excel Light (he's a bit overweight, being quite greedy) they have about a level tablespoon full of pellets once a day between them, they have unlimited hay (baled 'horse' hay), Readigrass and lots of different veg. They also have a grassed run, he spends a lot of time grazing when there is grass growing, obviously not so much at the moment. I feed spring greens, carrot, parsnip, sprouts, kale (although a limited quantity, a small handful each once a day about once a fortnight), various salad leaves, small pieces of apple and/or pear, a mouthful of banana each, broccoli (again a small quantity occasionally, it seems to cause a few dirty bottoms), pak choi. sweetheart cabbage, etc. They each have a bit of four or five of these, to cover about a teaplate twice a day. They have one large cabbage leaf between four, a piece of carrot, half a sprout, etc, so I don't think I'm overdoing the veg. They have two large bowls of water, which are changed at least once a day.

I took him a couple of weeks ago to the vets and saw a locum, who told me he just can't process calcium. I stopped feeding pellets to them, and am always careful not to feed veg which is reputed to be high in calcium. After about 10 days I started giving a small quantity of pellets again, and today I've seen an area where he's wee'd and it's dried to a yellow patch of sludge again. It's not like crystals, more like a splash of paint almost. He is clean and dry underneath (I check him every day). Sometimes he can go for weeks without a problem.

Any ideas? I'm worried about cutting down on calcium in their diet because of the effect on their teeth, and of course I have Toffee to consider as well. I'd be interested to hear any experiences with this problem and how to deal with it. He sometimes seems distressed, trying to lick around there, and he gets fed up with me clipping and washing round his bottom.

Personally I'd cut out the pellets, as you did previously. They are the most likely thing to exacerbate bladder sludge problems in a Rabbit. An adult Rabbit can do perfectly well on a diet of a variety of hays (avoid alfalfa hays if Rabbit has bladder sludge issues), grass, fresh and dried forage, fresh and dried herbs and a variety of fresh veg. A wild Rabbit is very unlikely to develop dental problems due to a lack of calcium and wild Rabbits dont have access to a pellet feed :)

ETA- This link may be useful to take a look at

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

Last edited:
How much Readigrass do you feed and is it Friendly Readigrass or horse Readigrass? Personally I wouldn't stop the pellets as you don't give them many anyway but maybe cut down on the veg. As you know rabbits excrete excess calcium in their wee so that is normal, but not sludge.

Frances Harcourt Brown would suggest cutting out pellets and giving veg and hay and of course forage (when you can get it).

Here are some links:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...-sheet-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/gallery/amount-of-food-item-that-contains-500mg-calcium

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/@@search?Subject:list=Calcium metabolism

I have found that very limited pellets and readigrass don't cause a calcium/bladder sludge issue. But the water is an important factor. It may be worth seeking out a low calcium water. I know SarahP found a good one :)

I hope you're OK and thank you for your message :wave:

Frances Harcourt Brown would suggest cutting out pellets and giving veg and hay and of course forage (when you can get it).

Here are some links:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...-sheet-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/gallery/amount-of-food-item-that-contains-500mg-calcium

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/@@search?Subject:list=Calcium metabolism

I have found that very limited pellets and readigrass don't cause a calcium/bladder sludge issue. But the water is an important factor. It may be worth seeking out a low calcium water. I know SarahP found a good one :)

I hope you're OK and thank you for your message :wave:

Hi MM, am OK thanks, hope you are too. Thanks for the links!

Have you tried SubQ fluids for him?

Hello Jerseygirl, I don't think he's dehydrated, although he was given subq fluids by the vet who took the x-rays. They have two big water bowls in their accommodation, and plenty of veg. His skin is quite loose and eves bright so I hope his fluid levels are ok, but thanks for the thought!

My apologies, I should have said why I was asking. SubQ fluids can be used as a way to flush out the sludge, along with expressing the bladder. Under direction of a vet, of course.

I recently read an account from an owner whose rabbit was diagnosed with EC. She had thick, creamy urine and urine scald. After treatment, they've been able keep her dry and clean finally.
I also watched a video series recently where a vet listed bladder sludge as one of the possible symptoms of EC.

Given that your boy has had the urinary issues most his life, and EC being widespread and able to affect rabbits from a young age, it would probably be worth investigating.

Out of curiosity, was your vet able to check the spine and hips with those X-ray's also? Any problems there can cause a rabbit to be unable to posture correctly when urinating and not empty fully.

Last edited:
I just wondered how urine sludge causes urine scalding? My Charlie has a wonky back leg and has a urine scald down that side. Never been told anything other than to put cream on it for him which I do every day

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I just wondered how urine sludge causes urine scalding? My Charlie has a wonky back leg and has a urine scald down that side. Never been told anything other than to put cream on it for him which I do every day

Urine sludge irritates the bladder and can cause leakage and incontinence. Leaking can be caused by things other than sludge though :)

Urine sludge irritates the bladder and can cause leakage and incontinence. Leaking can be caused by things other than sludge though :)
Hmm Charlie's willy looks like it points to the side. Do you think that could be a side affect of a sludgey bladder? His back foot is also twisted which no vet will correct

Hmm Charlie's willy looks like it points to the side. Do you think that could be a side affect of a sludgey bladder? His back foot is also twisted which no vet will correct

It sounds more like a physical thing than bladder sludge. Your vet can express the bladder next time you go and examine the urine if you're worried though x

Thanks for your reply Jerseygirl, I had not considered EC at all. He has no other symptoms, but I suppose it could be a possibility. I know nothing of his early life, he came from the Rescue where I am a volunteer. I think he's ok with his posture when urinating, I may go and ask if I can look at the xray again to see if there are any problems with his spine/pelvis. He is quite small, so I wondered if the *ahem* outlet pipe was too small to allow the crystals to pass through.

I had a bunny with ec. My vet told me bunny's born with bad ec go blind in their first year which mine did. I had no idea he had bladder sludge until one day when he stopped eating. Then we took an x-ray and it was quite shocking to see. Have you seen the low calcium sticks that are like fibre first? Could swap them for pellets. I'm sorry I forgot the name

It sounds more like a physical thing than bladder sludge. Your vet can express the bladder next time you go and examine the urine if you're worried though x
I will ask Jc to do that for me next time lol. Thank you x

45edbb93e9555aa735c788b047c5d4d7.jpg

Back