• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick rabbit - very dirty and smelly plus not eating

Sad update

I took Rosie to another vets as I wasn't happy she still wasn't eating.

This vet said she had a small blockage and kept her overnight to monitor eating/pooping.

Apparently she stared to eat on her own but the blockage got worse overnight, gas built up and Rosie passed away in the night.

The vet said she can't relieve gas in the cecum.

That's two rabbits in three days. Not very happy this morning.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss:( It sounds like you are really trying. Rabbits have a very complex and sensitive digestive system.

Did your vet give you Oxbow Critical Care? I found it always helped my rabbits to recover from an illness and put on weight again.

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care_fine

As the kits are so young you need to be careful with the amount of fresh greens you feed. I would only feed small amounts of fresh herbs.
Dill is easily tolerated, helps with digestion and increases appetite.

Have to echo what others said, pls have a pm done on the dead kit to be a 100% certain what the cause of death is and to be able to treat the remaining kits.

As rabbits are prey animals they hide their illnesses very well.
If a rabbit looks unwell or goes of its food, it is very seriously ill. They are not like cats or dogs.
Also there are very few vets around who are rabbit experts. My vet told me that they are not really taught about rabbits at uni. Rabbits get covered more as an after thought.

You are doing exactly the best you can by going online and researching information and seeking help on a forum. Pls discuss everything with your vet, you need to advocate for your rabbits.

Good luck hope you manage to save the remaining kits.:wave:

Are they kept indoors now with mum dead and the temperatures plummeting?

I haven't thought about where to keep the kits. They are fully furred and the vet said they'd be ok. I gave moved them to the garage and can put a heater in there.

I did have critical care for Rosie but getting her to take it was tough.

The baby has had a pm done - death was caused by an internal haemorrhage - I looks like she was kicked by Rosie. I can't see a cat got into the hutch or anything and the other kits were too small to do the damage. The kit that dies was always the smallest and was always nervous and kept herself deprecated from the others.

I think I took Rosie to the wrong vet. The one who had her last night and will look after the kits has said she is well trained specifically on rabbits and sounds a lot more thorough. Maybe if I'd taken Rosie there on Monday....

Don't blame yourself. You are obviously trying your best. You can't have known that the first vet was no good. Unfortunately we often learn this the hard way. :( Blockages are difficult for rabbits to recover fully from, and they need very intense care, and sometimes surgery to remove it.

I hope the rest of the kits thrive.

Binky free little baby and Rosie. xx

Sorry to hear this sad update. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Best of luck to the remaining kits x

Back