• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bunny not moving! Please help!!

Sarahxox

New Kit
My bunny isn't moving and is breathing fast he has been like this for nearly a whole day. I have him in a box with a towel under him, it's like his whole body is paralysed and he can't move at all. He can eat and drink if I help feed him and he still poops even though he is lying on his side. He was perfectly fine yesterday afternoon eating and running, then last night after work I found him in his cage lying on his back upside down I thought he had died until I realised he was still breathing. I remember that yesterday afternoon when I was making him go back into his cage his foot got caught in one of the wiring holes of the cage he kind of got stuck for like one second but then he twitched out of it and just sat on there, I pushed him gently but he didn't move I thought it was a bit odd, also I noticed that there was a bug on him I quickly pulled it off, I don't think it was a tick or anything. After he uncaught his foot he didn't move so I picked him up and put him in front of his food bowl and he just ate normally so I didn't think much of it. But now his isn't moving at all, it looks like his sleeping but I know it's because he can't move. I don't have a vet nearby and it's extremely late it's not an option now. Did he maybe hurt his spine and became paralysed or a virus or bug got him?? Please help I'm extremely worried!:cry:

I'm sorry but bun needs to see a vet NOW. All vets have a 24hr emergency contact. Yes it will cost you more money but you need to take a rabbit to a vet as soon as you realise there is something wrong, not leave them in distress hoping that it will resolve. You should have taken the bun yesterday after work as soon as you realised something was wrong. Please seek vet advice now rather than allow bun to suffer any more. Rabbits are prey animals and so hide their pain and distress, it doesn't mean that bun is not suffering.

you're going to have to make the vet an option. i don't mean to be harsh but he may not make it otherwise. get to any vet, as soon as you can, however you can. it sounds very very serious. :cry:

Get to the vet today, your bun sounds very unwell.
Please take him as he will be in a lot of pain

hi welcome to the forum, sounds like your bunny needs urgent vet attention, so id get him there now, please let us know how he Is x

Please update on bunny's condition, I know I dont know you but I am concerned as it is never nice to hear a bunny is clearly in distress..
Please tell us that you got to a vet, if you havent then please listen to us if you dont want him to die a slow and painful death!

Oh gosh, poor bunny. As others have already said, he needs to see a vet immediately. I hope that you've managed to take him to a vet and that your bunny is getting the vital care needed.

I've no idea what the matter could be, but it does sound worrying.

We look forward to seeing an update if you manage to get the chance.

This sounds to me like EC, it can come on very suddenly like with my Dexy, I am begging you, please tell me you took your bunny to the vet. EC is a nasty awful disease, and a killer, even with treatment sometimes, please please please take your bun to the vet ASAP.

I have to apologise to the OP for sounding so harsh in my initial reply - I really don't have my tactful head on when I'm in pain and can't sleep in the early hours. Hope bun is improving today x

I may be wrong, but I don't think we will ever hear the outcome. I think the OP was new to the forum and possibly only signed up to ask our advice on this occasion and has not come back.

Back