• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I feed this to new rabbit?

Pie Eyed

Young Bun
Hi all.

After speaking to the breeder, I was told that our new bunny (8 weeks old and arriving in 2 days) is currently being fed on Wagg "Bunny Brunch".

I was advise on here that I should leave her on whatever she is currently being fed for a month or 2, before changing her diet.

However, I looked at this stuff and I don't think it's great, so I wonder if I can change her on to something better immediately.

Also, the breeder mentioned that she is only on Wagg because the usual food - Chudley's - is out of stock.
So obviously, she has had diet changes in the past.

The stuff she's currently on is NOT pellets. It's a mix-type food.

The bit that really bothered me though was the ingredients:
Peas , Wheat , Wheatfeed , Oatfeed , Oats , Lucerne , Flaked Maize , Whole Maize , Sunflower Ext. , Grass , Vegetable Oil , Apple (4% in Green Pellet) , Grape (4% in Green Pellet) , Syrup , Carob Meal , Minerals , Linseed (0.3%) , Yeast (0.05%)

Peas as the top ingredient?
Syrup?

Should I buy this stuff or avoid completely?

If I can change immediately, what is the best pellet for a young bun?

Thanks
Craig

Don't change it straight away, that can make a rabbit poorly. It's fine short term :wave: if you leave her on that for a week or 2 and very slowly change to a pellet food (excel or science selective) Maybe put one pellet of the new stuff in for a few days, and then 2, I'm not sure how you are supposed to change a babies diet but it should always be done slowly :wave: but definatley leave it a few weeks for her to settle :wave:

She will be okay for now as babies can have more food than adults but as she gets older you can start to give her less :D I feed my pair a handful between them, and my 2 singles get a handful each although Poppy gets fed throughout the day as she can't eat hay :)

dont just change the food outright - mix a little bit into her usual food for a few days, then slowly start to add more and more until you are only giving her the new food :)

this should take a couple of weeks though so its not a shock to her digestive system :)

Thanks guys.

I'll do it over 2-3 weeks then.

I just can't wait to get her off this (what looks to me like) garbage.

Thanks guys.

I'll do it over 2-3 weeks then.

I just can't wait to get her off this (what looks to me like) garbage.

Yeah it's not great :lol: yep, do it over that period of time and there should be no problems :D but I would definitely leave her on wagg for a week or longer :wave:

You can get excel from pets at home, or online. Garden centres supply science selective, I get mine from Dobbies :D or even wagg optimum pellets are okay to use, but I think they're quite small so might be dangerous to a hungry bunny! Not totally sure though :)

So do you think I should go for something like this then?

10076.jpg

So do you think I should go for something like this then?

10076.jpg

Personally I would go for Allen & Page or Science Selective over Excel because in the grand scheme of things excel only has 19% crude fibre, whereas the two I mentioned have 22% and above crude fibre :)

do all pellets look like rabbits' droppings?

my two have been on excel and no probs. but it looks like their poo and so puts me off and when i have stray "things" in the hutch, cant be sure if it's poo or not...

does science selective look like their droppings too?

my two have been on excel and no probs. but it looks like their poo and so puts me off and when i have stray "things" in the hutch, cant be sure if it's poo or not...

does science selective look like their droppings too?

Science Selective and Allen and Page helps them produce the best golden poops ever :wave:

Excel can cause problems with mucky bums in some bunnies, not a huge fan of the food myself but that's just my opinion lmao

Science Selective is the best IMO, they are nice long pellets and easy to keep track of eating habits in case they change! :D a good amount of fibre and they are generally a good price :) I get a typical sized bag and it lasts me over 2 months for a pair who have a handful every evening between them :wave:

I feed Excel Junior to my two and their poops are lovely.

As long as they are pelleted food and they get loads of hay I don't think it matters greatly.

I find Excel a lot easier to find than SS.

I feed Excel Junior to my two and their poops are lovely.

As long as they are pelleted food and they get loads of hay I don't think it matters greatly.

I find Excel a lot easier to find than SS.

Yes, if SS wasn't sold at Dobbies I would have to order it online! :lol: it can sometimes go missing in places :lol: have whatever food you find easiest to get hold of as long as it's pelleted :wave:

Doughnut was on muesli when I got her, I slowly changed to excel but then she had mucky bum so then slowly changed her to SS and she's been fine and loves them. Now she's older I feed her an egg cup full a day.

Back