• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheds and avairy panels!

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Next week im having the rest of my garden paved and a shed put up for poppy and daisy and then a shed also putting up ready for hope and lucky coming home :love: I was going to attach the 6ft runs that I already have to the sheds but I have always loved the idea of avairy panels becuase I could go in with them/use the space for another level out in the avairy or whatever...well tonight I found enough panels to make 6ft avairy/runs on each shed selling locally for £150 (for the lot!) :thumb:

So each pair are going to have their 6x4ft shed (with internal extra level) and 6ft attached avairy which they will have permenant access to :thumb:

So what bits of your shed setup do you love the most? Im paying the paving people to modify the sheds for me and build the avairies becuase if I dont it wont ever get done!

I need ideas for weatherproofing the avairy... Im thinking wooden shutters all round for when its really wet/windy etc?
Also I need to sort a roof out as they are just the panels and no roof ones...what do you use for the roof in your avairies? wood?

I have 2 of these these sheds~
http://www.ilikesheds.co.uk/id-5167...Overlap_Apex_Shed_(10mm_Solid_Osb_Floor).aspx

So im thinking of having the avairy panels arouond the front so that the door opens into it... I would have prefered them on the side but I think with the sizes of the panels (6ft tall by 3ft wide) it is a better fit around the front?

Im going to ask them to make the door into stable doors so I can have each bit shut or open depending on the weather and also a catflap under the window so when the weather is bad I can keep the shed warmer by having the door completly closed. I was also worried about the door when its open taking up room in the avairy so it would be better if they use the catflap and not have the door protruding into the avairy...but could have the top half open when its hot etc...

Any idea's or words of wisdom...iv got one shot to get this right :lol:

Meant to say that I have looked through the sticky and bookmarked some piccies to show them but im after advice too :)

Last edited:
Anyone? I need to sort out what I want for the roofing and side shutters of the avairies and I dont know whats best! I thought about perspex but its so expensive!! Hubby says just suck up the cost and pay for it but is it any good? dont want to shell out the money for it if there is something better and cheaper...any tips and how to attach them? I want them removable so in the summer/nicer weather they I can just take them off! :)

I would use aviary panels for the roof as well, I have corrugated PVC sheets attached to the roof aviary panels. It keeps some water out, but a lot blows in the sides because it's 6ft off the ground. I also have a perspex sheet on one side, it's expensive but does work. You would have to put perspex on every side to keep all the water out. You could provide some sort of shelter inside the aviary instead, but I don't know if they would use it.

If you can I would avoid having the shed door inside the aviary as it makes it harder to get to the shed, you always have to worry about them getting under your feet and stepping on them. Being able to put food in or clean the whole thing out whilst they are in the aviary would make life easier.

Just thinking about the door situation - the aviary is obviously best on the longer side of the shed - so where the door is...Id also do a stable door and a catflap like you mentioned at the bottom...then - would it be possible to screw in a frame and make another door on the side of the shed? Then youd have 2 entrance options? ;)

Ive seen aviary panels with corrugate plastic on the top & also sheets of perspex.
What about a slightly sloped roof with aviary panels that you can then put wooden sheets on top - you could always line the wood with shed felt . The you could remove it or part of it in summer..but in winter youd have a dry proper roof. Id overlap the rood over the edges...so there was a overhand...then the water would run of and away from the aviary sides. You could then also hook up your shutters under this overlap or have pull down shades in the summer etc...

If I had an aviary - id also partition one end of the aviary...with larger mesh....and grow plants for the buns in there...so the plant leaves would grown through the larger mesh - the buns could eat or pull through what they fancy - but they wouldnt be able to destroy the whole plant...just me day dreaming about my perfect aviary!

Your buns are SOOO lucky! yeah!

Back