• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed or dog run?

HCB

Warren Scout
Currently, my 2 mini lops are in the house in a pen. However, its only temporary. They may stay in the house, or have to go in a cage in the summerhouse, until august when we sort out better housing.

I was going to get a shed and add a permanent run attached for them, with their cage in the shed and a ledge or two, aswell as access to the whole floor. However, my dad would have to make the pen from scratch which i know hes not happy about. Aswell as this i doubt it would be the construction i want, hes made pens before which have been great, but i want a super sturdy one thats fox proof!

So instead of the shed idea, iv thought of getting a dog kennel and run (not the small ones, the ones im thinking of are basically and shed and run combined.)

Heres a link to just one that iv found...

http://www.caninekennels.co.uk/~sa_webapp/run.asp?page=18726

Im not sure on the exact size yet, we havnt measured up or decided where in the garden to put it. This one is just an idea too, im in the middle of my finals, so in 2 weeks when iv finished ill look for some better ones (and hopefully cheaper ones!).

I like the idea of these as the "shed" area can be planned the same way as i would have the actual shed, and the pen is great, the sides and back are covered and theres a proper roof, which is great for windy and rainy days (which we seem to have a lot of in lancashire!) Theres doors to both areas so easy access, and windows, and can have a stable door added and even insulation. Although at their prices, i might get my dad to insulate it!

I was just wondering what people think to the idea of this? The pen appealed to me as most of it is enclosed and has a wind shield at the bottom, but do people think a pen should be more open, with just a roof but opened sides and back?

As iv said, i havnt looked around yet, but i want one with "mouse-proof" and fox-proof mesh ideally (if not im sure i could get my dad to add another layer of mesh positioned so the gaps are too small for mice!). The shed area is 1/3 of the whole area, so here its 4ft by 10ft, with 8ft by 10ft pen area. Would this size be suitable for two mini lops?

I have had rabbits a long time, but unfortunately, like most rabbit owners, thought cages were suitable for rabbits (i mean why would pet shops stock cages that arent suitable, and why do rabbit books say 4fts suitable??). Luckily, we have always had 'big' cages (6ft by 2ft by 2ft, with only one rabbit in them), and they come up almost every night for runs and out lots in the summer. When i got my oldest two (now 7), we converted the summer house ready to be their house (i was 14 then, and decided they should have more room), but they didnt get on so ended up having seperate cages (7ft by 2 1/2ft by 2 foot). Which i know now isnt ideal...which is why i want to get it right for these two babies!

Sorry for my long posts, i tend to get distracted!

The one you've posted a link to looks very good. It would be worth asking if they could make one to order with smaller mesh. I find with double layers of mesh it can be difficult to clean as hay, fur etc tends to get trapped between the layers :)

Back